Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2021, 08:46 AM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

The thing about your assumption/guesses (like the rest of us) is that the toyhauler will ALWAYS be loaded to the gills in the back. What if it's not and just loaded heavy in the front? Just wondering like everyone else....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 09:38 AM   #22
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
Partial quote:
So what I see is the possibility of a 19,000# loaded toy hauler with a 15% pin weight of 2,850# towed by a 3500 with a payload of 4,000#. If the additional weight of passengers, hitch, and other "stuff" added to the bed of the truck does not exceed 1,150#, then payload is not the issue. I can't speak to tires, axles, etc. [Note that payload might easily be exceeded if the toy hauler was hauled "wet" and empty.] But now, I'm just guessing like everyone else in this thread. For me, I'd prefer my DRW because I want an auxiliary fuel tank and other things we're not discussing here. I also wanted some spare capacity so I didn't have to play the weight game every time I loaded up for a trip. And I wanted to be able to cope with the "wet/empty" pin weight since we sometimes travel without our side-by-side.
Sorry if the above quotes didn't clearly address for you the issue of towing a toy hauler empty. I'm not sure how else to say it...

We love the flexibility of a toy hauler for a variety of reasons, including the flexibility of the garage also being the dining room, the card/board game room, the quilting/sewing room, the photography studio, the spare bedroom & bath, and also the back patio deck. That's exactly why we tow with a DRW and are prepared to handle the extra pin weight. Hope that makes it clear for you.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 10:12 AM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
Sorry if the above quotes didn't clearly address for you the issue of towing a toy hauler empty. I'm not sure how else to say it...

We love the flexibility of a toy hauler for a variety of reasons, including the flexibility of the garage also being the dining room, the card/board game room, the quilting/sewing room, the photography studio, the spare bedroom & bath, and also the back patio deck. That's exactly why we tow with a DRW and are prepared to handle the extra pin weight. Hope that makes it clear for you.

Oh it was clear to me. It was also clear that you were more or less giving the individual a green light (excuses) to pull a 19k trailer with a SRW 1 ton "if you just do it this way every time" and "maybe" you'll be OK - but it won't happen. Sort of like "I'll never have liquids in the tanks", "I won't ever load anything more than a pair of underwear" etc.

The initial sentence in the post I responded to (when you quoted ncstan) scolded a member for posting a harsh statement about the possible consequences of towing overloaded. You then posted possible ways the OP "might" be able to get away towing a too heavy trailer, except if he didn't do it "just right" he would be overloaded. Also realize owners of an existing combo will look for any/every reason offered to justify it will all work....even if it's obvious they won't. If you own an RV your truck should be rated to carry it no matter what its weigh configuration; unloaded to max, not just a narrow window of circumstances that must be met. THAT is an overloaded truck.

Just wanted to point out the reason for my comment. Assumptions/assertions from every angle including mine.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 11:03 AM   #24
LewisB

Ok, you last sentence is your best. I think an owner who can tow legally and safely (that is, within the design specifications of the equipment and the law) can choose to do so any time he wants. Could he do it wrong? Sure. I could load 3 tons of plate steel in my DRW and be overloaded. Does that mean I should not be able to buy and use a DRW? Just because he doesn't do it the way we typically do doesn't mean that he is either unsafe or illegal.

You can have the last word - I'm done.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 01:45 PM   #25
travelin texans

This discussion is essentially the same as the ongoing one with the guy & his Toyota Tacoma shuffling the weights like a deck of cards hoping the winning hand will allow him to tow much more RV than he has truck for.
If you're buying a TH with a 19000lb GVWR you also need a truck that can carry the weight of that much RV regardless of how/where that weight is located within that rv.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 02:01 PM   #26
wiredgeorge

The OP will be just fine with his SRW pickup as long as he doesn't add a hefty Spaniel pup to his truck's cab.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone, raptor