Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2021, 08:05 AM   #1
BubbaShoots

Suspension Upgrades?

My 25RDS Cougar travel trailer has the basic suspension equalizer. Should I upgrade? If so, to what…MORyde, Road Armor, shocks, SumoSprings? I’m looking for best value options, not to over kill. I have found members here experienced and knowledgeable so, thanks in advance for your help.
BubbaShoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 09:02 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Should you upgrade? That is something only you can answer, it is basically a cost/benefit proposition. Is there something wrong now and if so, what is it? Are you just wanting to upgrade "because" or you're thinking there will be a huge benefit?

I ask all that because if you are in an "in between" trailer it doesn't make a lot of sense to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to upgrade a suspension for the "next guy" and you won't get a dime back from it....it will simply be for your enjoyment/peace of mind.

All that said, one of the more advanced suspensions will give the trailer a better ride. If upgrading I would opt for the MorRyde before the Road Armor; had them both and I prefer the MorRyde but not a lot of difference. I've not used the Sumo springs so can't speak to them but I prefer replacing the actual components vs "add a things" to compensate for suspension problems.

All those costs have to be bounced off what you do with the trailer personally; how many miles do you tow? Where? Fill in the blanks and it will be easier for you, and us, to figure out the benefits you may or may not get.
If you replace the suspension without a doubt install HD shackles and wet bolts.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 09:25 AM   #3
BubbaShoots

Great questions…. I tow about 7,000 miles a year. I’m finding many roads are deteriorating. I don’t know of any problems but, looking for preventative measures. I’m not looking to spend money to solve a problem that doesn’t exist. For example, I replaced my China Bombs with Goodyear Endurance to prevent a problem.
WeighSafe True Tow WDH
SoftStart on both AC’s, 2 Honda 2200 generators connected in parallel
Retired, 1 wife, 2 dogs
Old 10-10-2021, 09:49 AM   #4
Javi

Much of what would be cost effective and practical will depend on how long you will keep the trailer.

I'd have completely different recommendations for one to say three years than I would for five or more.

I know that these trailers are not investments; but I think the improvements to them should be. At that point it becomes about ROI.

Look at the axle GVWR and does it provide a safe margin for your GVWR.

Since you tow a good many miles a year, would disc brakes be beneficial for your family safety.

Lots of things to consider but for me it would all depend on how long I would keep the trailer.

See my pm
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 10:01 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

You might benefit from a suspension upgrade. What is on there now, Lippert Equa Flex or something like that? I looked at the specs and it does not say so assume something like the above?
Old 10-10-2021, 02:35 PM   #6
BubbaShoots

The equalizer is stamped “Dexter”. It is a single piece, perhaps cast, single pivot point at the center top, spring shackles connect on each end.
GAWR is 4400 lb each (x2)

I plan on keeping this trailer 5-7 years, traveling a minimum of 7,000 per year…already packed the wheel bearings and inspected brakes (took delivery Feb ‘21).
WeighSafe True Tow WDH
SoftStart on both AC’s, 2 Honda 2200 generators connected in parallel
Retired, 1 wife, 2 dogs
Old 10-10-2021, 02:46 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

You have the standard metal pivoting equalizer. Any of the products discussed will be an improvement over that. That's an 8800lb. gvw Cougar 1/2 ton and a better suspension is in order IMO particularly given the miles you pull it.

Like I said previously I would opt for the MorRyde. The Road Armor is a Lippert copy of the MorRyde. I removed the Road Armor suspension from a virtually new trailer to upgrade to the MorRyde. A CRE3000 would fit your bill. The difference in pricing between the MorRyde and Road Armor isn't much.

I would not put shocks on a rig that size but I would however definitely put those HD shackles and wet bolts on while you were at it. Others will chime in with their thoughts. Good luck, you will notice a difference when you remove you current equalizer.
Old 10-10-2021, 02:47 PM   #8
boatguy

On our 2021 Passport 229RK, we replaced the factory spring "hanger equilizers" with the Dexter EZ Flex "hangers" . Since we had Dexter 3500lb axles , figured the easiest and most direct replacement was to stick with Dexter components .
Installed the whole Dexter Ez flex kit, including wet bolts . Install was fairly easy . Seemed to help with ride, and "bucking" on highway joints . Also noticed less stuff laying on the floor of the RV when we arrived at our destination , so it must be riding a little smoother . Highways in the Northeast are not very "smooth" , so I think this did help a bit . Its was not a lot of $$$, so prob a worthwhile investment to get a better ride . Also had Goodyear Endurance tires installed (and balanced) for better piece of mind while traveling.
Old 10-10-2021, 02:56 PM   #9
Northofu1

Personally I would wait a few years.
I replaced my shackles and bolts and upgraded to the HD wet bolt system on a 2015 Bullet premier (Spring 2019) and a 2015 Cougar xlite 5er(Spring 2020).
Neither needed brakes, both shackle kits were worn but not in the danger zone.
I changed the Bullet's because I replaced all leaf springs due to a failure of one of the springs. The cougar I replaced because of the age and how easy it was to replace them on the bullet.
Cougar has the morryde CRE3000, so no change there. Happy with my suspension.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 06:47 PM   #10
Hblick48

I installed Dexter EZ Flex equalizers and wet bolts. Helped with chucking and bucking. Then I installed a Reese Fifth Airborne pin box. Also installed Super Springs SSS-3 Spring Stops on truck. All of the bucking and chucking gone. Rear of truck drops 1/2 inch hitched, used to drop over 3 inches.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade