Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2021, 03:20 PM   #1
dljs1941

TT lights are on - not connected to TV

So I just happen to look outside tonight and noticed that all of the exterior lights of my 2020 Bullet 273 BHS were on. The camper is parked in my yard and is not connected to my TV nor is it connected to shore power. The battery disconnect is off so power inside the TT is off. I disconnect the battery and all of the lights went dark. We just returned from a 4 day camping trip and did not experience this issue. I'm not even sure where to begin trouble shooting this and am looking for places to start. Appreciate any guidance.
Old 08-22-2021, 03:33 PM   #2
NH_Bulldog

Check for a short in the plug/cord to the vehicle (I know it isn’t connected). If there is a short between pins 3 & 4 on the plug, the running lights will be on. A lot of people do it intentionally while parked at a campground. Apparently it’s a thing, although I am not personally a fan. Either way, there is a short in that plug or at the trailer connection at the other end of the cord.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 05:33 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
Check for a short in the plug/cord to the vehicle (I know it isn’t connected). If there is a short between pins 3 & 4 on the plug, the running lights will be on. A lot of people do it intentionally while parked at a campground. Apparently it’s a thing, although I am not personally a fan. Either way, there is a short in that plug or at the trailer connection at the other end of the cord.
Yup, I would start at the junction box, and the umbilical cord.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 05:57 PM   #4
dljs1941

So just to keep this straight in my head...looking at a 7 pin RV Round wiring diagram the Green pin power the marker and tail lights (don't know if that's pin 3 or 4). The BLACK pin is 12V power which I assume is from the battery. If those two where shorted, would that bring power to the marker and tail lights?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7 pin rv round.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	35371  
Old 08-22-2021, 06:10 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

You got it. Easier way is to hold the trailer plug, with the locking tab UP. The power and running lights are the top two.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 04:24 AM   #6
dljs1941

OK thanks. Will start to troubleshoot as soon as rain let’s up from Henri.
Old 08-23-2021, 05:34 AM   #7
GMH

Quote:
Originally Posted by dljs1941 View Post
The battery disconnect is off so power inside the TT is off. I disconnect the battery and all of the lights went dark.
That’s not really a disconnect then? My disconnect kills all power to everything so nothing will kill the battery during storeage. But you still must have a short or something for the lights to be on.
Old 08-23-2021, 05:59 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMH View Post
That’s not really a disconnect then? My disconnect kills all power to everything so nothing will kill the battery during storeage. But you still must have a short or something for the lights to be on.
The OP is talking about the exterior running lights that should not be connected to the trailer battery, at least from the factory. Uness you installed the battery disconnect the factory disconnect does not disconnect ALL parasitic loads. There will still be drains on the battery from things like the LP & CO detector, the radio memory, the InCommand sydtem or any other system that interfaces with a xmsrt phone or remore that can level the trailer, deploy the slides or awning.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 06:08 AM   #9
GMH

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
The OP is talking about the exterior running lights that should not be connected to the trailer battery, at least from the factory. Uness you installed the battery disconnect the factory disconnect does not disconnect ALL parasitic loads. There will still be drains on the battery from things like the LP & CO detector, the radio memory, the InCommand sydtem or any other system that interfaces with a xmsrt phone or remore that can level the trailer, deploy the slides or awning.
I see. I did install my own with the intent of killing ALL power to the trailer for storeage between trips. It made sense to me. But if the OP’s switch killed all power, he might not even know he had a short.
Old 08-23-2021, 07:18 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMH View Post
I see. I did install my own with the intent of killing ALL power to the trailer for storeage between trips. It made sense to me. But if the OP’s switch killed all power, he might not even know he had a short.
If he had a disconnect switch on the negative side of the battery you are correct. That’s how I installed my battery disconnect as well.
Old 08-24-2021, 06:25 AM   #11
dljs1941

Just to clarify, the battery disconnect switch is factory installed. Exterior lights stay on regardless if battery disconnect is on or off. The only thing that makes sense to me is the lights are somehow getting power from the battery.
Old 08-24-2021, 06:32 AM   #12
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dljs1941 View Post
Just to clarify, the battery disconnect switch is factory installed. Exterior lights stay on regardless if battery disconnect is on or off. The only thing that makes sense to me is the lights are somehow getting power from the battery.
There are only 3 places for that to happen... the junction box where all the wiring comes together from the umbilical cord, the umbilical cord itself or the 7 way plug on the umbilical cord..

Since that is probably a sealed cord and no way to get inside the plug, I'd go buy a good Bargman cord and just rewire it to the junction box.. I've carried a spare cord for so long I might need to see if it's rotted from heat.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 07:20 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

If the umbilical has a molded plug then I would start at the junction box. Seems more likely to me that one of the wires pulled out of the connector and is now touching another wire. If the 7 way plug was replaced at some point then I would start at the plug.
Old 08-24-2021, 08:31 AM   #14
Roper46

When I did my walk thru for the 5er at CW, the guy gave me a 15 amp fuse and said since I gave you one, you will never need one. And we laughed.

But before he gave me the fuse he showed me a "trick" that him and his buddies have played on each other. He took that same fuse and stuck it in the top two holes on the seven way. He then laughed and said look at the clearance lights. They all were on without being plugged into anything.

Just saying.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 11:14 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper46 View Post
When I did my walk thru for the 5er at CW, the guy gave me a 15 amp fuse and said since I gave you one, you will never need one. And we laughed.

But before he gave me the fuse he showed me a "trick" that him and his buddies have played on each other. He took that same fuse and stuck it in the top two holes on the seven way. He then laughed and said look at the clearance lights. They all were on without being plugged into anything.

Just saying.
Some people "turn on their clearance lights with a fuse, some with a paper clip or a short piece of wire and some "fancy souls" use an old mechanical blinker relay so their running lights "disco dance" to their own music.... But, point is any 12 volt power source that touches the brown wire at any point, umbilical plug, umbilical wiring or umbilical junction box would be the three most likely places for "battery power to inadvertently contact the running light/tail light wiring".....

Oh, if you're ordering pizza to be delivered to the campground, it's much easier to say, "Deliver it to the trailer with the flashing lights"... Makes for warmer pizza in most situations..... And, to give the practice a "practical application", it also works for EMT responders too.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 11:24 AM   #16
Roper46

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Oh, if you're ordering pizza to be delivered to the campground, it's much easier to say, "Deliver it to the trailer with the flashing lights"... Makes for warmer pizza in most situations..... And, to give the practice a "practical application", it also works for EMT responders too.....
Never thought of this. Those are great ideas !
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 11:53 AM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

Also if you’re on the side of the road broke down having all the lights flashing may give better warning to traffic.
Old 08-24-2021, 12:06 PM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Also if you’re on the side of the road broke down having all the lights flashing may give better warning to traffic.
Yep, Having chest pains from the trucks and cars "whizzing by" while trying to change a flat tire on the roadside side of a trailer parked on the roadside.... (I know, too many roadsides in that sentence) can cause chest pains... So, call for medical assistance and tell them it's the trailer parked on the side of the road with the flashing lights... They'll also "better your chances" of not getting run over before the ambulance gets there to take you to the nearest cardiac unit while Good Sam tries to find a "road service facility" that will respond to your location...... I'd almost bet the pizza delivery guy will find you and the trailer before the Good Sam roadside service and maybe even before the ambulance gets there.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 10:29 AM   #19
dljs1941

Well after a very short (no pun intended) visual inspection it didn't take long to figure out the the umbilical cord was shorted out midway and had burned thru the outer jacket. The cord must have been marginal from the factory and shorted from having it wound around the power jack (which was how it was delivered to me). So I replaced the umbilical cord and voila, all is back to normal. Getting the wires connected inside the junction box was not hard, just a little tedious.
Thanks for all of the suggestions and a few new ones for why you might want your running lights on when the TT is not connected to the TV.
Old 08-29-2021, 06:02 AM   #20
Lee

Thank you for the follow up!!!!

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights