Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2021, 07:29 AM   #1
Biche

Sewer hoses

My husband is affected with inclusion Body Myositis a{lost of muscle strenght, in this case hand and forearms} . I need to do outside work like the sewer. We have 2 tanks so lots of hoses and connections sometime. My hands are not big enough and perhaps lack of strenght make it very difficult and frustrating. We presently have ez hoses system. I know they are probably the same size but are there any that are not as difficult ? Any tips? I tried air filter tool but doesn’t not work very well. Thanks everyone
Biche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 08:10 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Maybe something like this:

https://parts.unitedrv.com/products/...nt=Catch%20All

I believe you can get it from Walmart or Amazon.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 08:19 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Maybe something like this:

https://parts.unitedrv.com/products/...nt=Catch%20All

I believe you can get it from Walmart or Amazon.

I use the above and they work fine for me.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 09:53 AM   #4
Life-in-Him

If you search for RV sewer hose wrench you can find a simple Camco tool that might help.
amazon said out of stock but you might find it in a local rv dealer.
I have similar problems with my hands so I'm looking for it also
Life-in-Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 10:30 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

I use the sewer wrench also due to hand/arm nerve damage.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 03:45 PM   #6
Northofu1

This might pique your interest.

Good Luck

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 04:30 PM   #7
Camping family

I got tired of the regular sewer hose and connection and changed over to this
Works very easy and took away the issue I had of trying to twist onto the prongs.
Click image for larger version

Name:	1AC56FA1-35BA-41C7-A5F5-54034AB6BF5D.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	35230

Click image for larger version

Name:	0590A786-30D8-4214-B26C-C5ED9BF9D348.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	35231
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 05:37 PM   #8
vampress_me

Thanks, guys! I’m also going to be looking at getting the wrench also. Hubby’s Parkinson’s is getting worse to where he is having a hard time with the sewer hoses, and I’ve never mastered the ability to twist those buggers on and off! We have to pick the new camper up from the dealer tomorrow after some work, so will check if they or the CW close by the dealer have one.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 05:46 PM   #9
LHaven

Sometimes PTFE lube around the spout gives short-term relief.
Old 08-12-2021, 05:53 PM   #10
Camping family

The wrenches might work but I have not had any luck,with them. After breaking two of them I went with the above system and have no regrets. Everything is so much easier then before.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 06:46 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
Thanks, guys! I’m also going to be looking at getting the wrench also. Hubby’s Parkinson’s is getting worse to where he is having a hard time with the sewer hoses, and I’ve never mastered the ability to twist those buggers on and off! We have to pick the new camper up from the dealer tomorrow after some work, so will check if they or the CW close by the dealer have one.

Lynette I would try them if I were you. Due to any number of things I have lost strength in my hands/arms and we were down to DW and I both trying to untwist the blasted things. Bought the little wrenches and no problems since and DW can just go about her business now - and a cheap solution.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 07:20 PM   #12
Old Mustanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life-in-Him View Post
If you search for RV sewer hose wrench you can find a simple Camco tool that might help.
amazon said out of stock but you might find it in a local rv dealer.
I have similar problems with my hands so I'm looking for it also
Amazon said it was out of stock when I ordered but it only took a couple days longer to get.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 09:11 PM   #13
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Lynette I would try them if I were you. Due to any number of things I have lost strength in my hands/arms and we were down to DW and I both trying to untwist the blasted things. Bought the little wrenches and no problems since and DW can just go about her business now - and a cheap solution.
Thanks, Danny! Because you and Marshall both use them and recommend, I will be on the lookout tomorrow for them. Fingers crossed I can find it! We leave Monday to take DD to college out west and are taking the camper so it would be nice to have, but at least not a dire have-to-have.

When we got the new camper, we looked again at the Waste Master with the cam locks. But, I cannot stomach the price nor (mainly) the fact I would have to cut off the end of the dump outlet on the camper to install the cam end. Just doesn’t sit well with me if there was ever an issue with the cam lock sewer hose getting a hole in the middle of a camping trip. It’s just too easy to get a temporary cheap sewer hose at WalMart if needed in a pinch that fits the “normal” dump outlet.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 07:55 AM   #14
KarenK

I should get one of those plastic hose wrenches. Bought new sewer hoses and a Y fitting with this rig because it has 2 grey water tanks with 2 separate dump valves and needed longer hoses. Man, were the new hoses hard to attach. Use an old needle nose pliers to tighten the hose the last little bit. Too remove a twist with a small flat head screwdriver will pop the ball part out of the groove. Figured with use I'd be able to do it without the hand tools eventually. About 50/50 now depending on my energy level.
Past
2006 Springdale 280 FWIKL-GL
1997 Jayco 253
KarenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 08:32 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenK View Post
I should get one of those plastic hose wrenches. Bought new sewer hoses and a Y fitting with this rig because it has 2 grey water tanks with 2 separate dump valves and needed longer hoses. Man, were the new hoses hard to attach. Use an old needle nose pliers to tighten the hose the last little bit. Too remove a twist with a small flat head screwdriver will pop the ball part out of the groove. Figured with use I'd be able to do it without the hand tools eventually. About 50/50 now depending on my energy level.
Be very careful using "hand tools" (Note I didn't say, the WRONG tools) on sewer fittings on any RV. Flat blade screwdrivers are an excellent way to damage the plastic mating surfaces on the twist connectors and cause them to have a "permanent leak". Using needle nose pliers to twist a connector that last bit is also a great way to snap off one of the locking tabs on the trailer end connectors... When that happens, it "may well lead to a significant repair bill.... Replacment fittings are relatively cheap, but the labor to remove the old one, rebuild the tank extensions and install a new one with all 4 locking tabs can easily run into the "mid hundreds" or even cause the need to replace the entire tank and fittings (lower thousands)...

If "hand pressure and a towel or non-slip "gripper" won't work, use the proper CAMCO (or equivalent) tool... Substituting hand tools that "are the only thing I had at the time" is an excellent way to damage/destroy a sewer connection.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 10:05 AM   #16
KarenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Be very careful using "hand tools" (Note I didn't say, the WRONG tools) on sewer fittings on any RV. Flat blade screwdrivers are an excellent way to damage the plastic mating surfaces on the twist connectors and cause them to have a "permanent leak". Using needle nose pliers to twist a connector that last bit is also a great way to snap off one of the locking tabs on the trailer end connectors... When that happens, it "may well lead to a significant repair bill.... Replacment fittings are relatively cheap, but the labor to remove the old one, rebuild the tank extensions and install a new one with all 4 locking tabs can easily run into the "mid hundreds" or even cause the need to replace the entire tank and fittings (lower thousands)...

If "hand pressure and a towel or non-slip "gripper" won't work, use the proper CAMCO (or equivalent) tool... Substituting hand tools that "are the only thing I had at the time" is an excellent way to damage/destroy a sewer connection.....
Thanks John, just ordered the camco wrench from walmart. I know my way isn't the best and saw that wrench for the first time about a year ago. I've been pretty gentle, lining it up straight and not using too much force. New hoses only needed for full hook up maybe 2x a yr, have an old hose in the bumper tube for use at a dump station.
Past
2006 Springdale 280 FWIKL-GL
1997 Jayco 253
KarenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 10:25 AM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

I keep a 4" clear extension on the end of the outlet. It serves 2 purposes. First I can see what's exiting the tanks, how much, and when it's finished. Secondly when the locking tabs wear out or break it's a $10 replacement. I look at them as sacraficial and always keep a spare on hand.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 10:43 AM   #18
pakuma

We have been using the Thetford 17728 SmartDrain Sewer System with great success.
https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-1772.../dp/B003DIL83E
pakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 04:38 PM   #19
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

I just received the camco wrench from Amazon the other day…and John I agree about the “hand tools”…a guy backed his fifth wheel skillfully and quickly into his spot next to me the other day…had a truck roof mounted bike rack system..I thought “man this guy has his s&$# together” him and his wife both….she guided him into the spot …no yelling …no do overs….
Then I looked out a few minutes later and he was using his “hand tools” to connect the sewer pipes… as in “bare hands”…..he even wiped his hand on his bare leg…
My wife and I were getting ready to hold up perfect 10 scorecards but we quickly changed them to a 6 on acoount of that personal foul

Don’t know why in the world he wouldn’t wear gloves

Oh and Happy Birthday John!
Old 08-19-2021, 04:45 PM   #20
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I just received the camco wrench from Amazon the other day…and John I agree about the “hand tools”…a guy backed his fifth wheel skillfully and quickly into his spot next to me the other day…had a truck roof mounted bike rack system..I thought “man this guy has his s&$# together” him and his wife both….she guided him into the spot …no yelling …no do overs….
Then I looked out a few minutes later and he was using his “hand tools” to connect the sewer pipes… as in “bare hands”…..he even wiped his hand on his bare leg…
My wife and I were getting ready to hold up perfect 10 scorecards but we quickly changed them to a 6 on acoount of that personal foul

Don’t know why in the world he wouldn’t wear gloves

Oh and Happy Birthday John!
Maybe because he was raised in the country during the 50's and 60's and is immune to germs...

If I had a dollar for every time I handled, touched or had splashed on me something you younger folks would glove and biohazard suit up for, I'd be retired again.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sewer