Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2021, 01:39 PM   #21
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwilkrrs View Post
P O had a receipt that showed the tires purchase time but the age stamp on them was older-

I now have 2 brand new tires- mismatched make and a almost 1 year old

She wants me to use these 3 as spares and buy new tires and wheels for the unit

Worries me that the issues have been on the same spot tho-
Going to look everything over and see how to limit the damages for future

Needs a metal wheel well or just a flat metal piece to protect the u derbelly a different insulation at least
With multiple failures on same position I suspect that one is overloaded. The vibration was an early warning. A Free Spin inspection would have. Confirmed. The tires had failed, but just hadn't come apart yet. If you have the full DOT code you should file a complaint with NHTSA but it sounds like you failed to record that info.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 01:56 PM   #22
Tireman9

Sorry but many car companies learned that they needed to change their wheel design so they would work with radial tires. Might be difficult to get info I writing for older TT wheels being approved for Radial tires. External dimensions almost all the same except for the flange and the disk for some wheels.
Old 07-11-2021, 03:03 PM   #23
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Radial tires have been in the US for close to 60 years, I had them back in the 60’s no special wheels needed.
In post #9 the OP said his trailer's certification label listed the OE tires as Bias. That prompted me to comment on the fact there could be a difference in wheel design. Is it possible? Yes! Is it probably? Highly unlikely.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 05:43 PM   #24
lcarver02

Stay away from China Bombs - that includes Carlisle and Trailer King

[QUOTE=gwilkrrs;457365]New to us 2007 keystone cougar 289bhs

Blow out on pass side rear tire on way home form purchase last year
Fixed and went out on 2 trips no issues

On way out this time picked up vibration 8 hrs into drive- 3 hours left on drive all seemed ok but had a vibration I couldn’t locate

2 weeks later on way home vibration got worse 2 hours in to drive home and got flagged over- nice guy said pass side front tire is wobbling/ bouncing-

Jacked up and rolled it and it wobbled- it had a zig zag in it like a belt had given away internally- change it with spare I bought- replaced when 1sr blow out.

5 hours later blow- out on pass side rear tire-

Damages to underbelly fabric- fender and body panels on lower slide and side panel under furnace

Put on wobbly tire to try to limp off 95 and didn’t make it far enough for service station/rest area before this one popped on sidewall right at deformed area

Had to have nj toll road dispatch a tire guy for 2 tires so I had a spare again-

I should have replaced all when bought rv but they were only 2 years old——

So frustrated-

Please consider buying a matching set of 4 Goodyear Endurance Load Range E tires an no China Bombs. Do some research and you will find most all of these tires from China including Carlisle and Trailer King have big troubles. Never will I have these on any trailer. My story is so much like yours it is scary. Two years old and a huge bulge and steel belts hanging out. I am so careful with pressure and
lcarver02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 06:43 PM   #25
rlh1957

If one used tire blows, don’t bet on the others. Especially if they are tire brands that keep getting negative experiences on forum.

I learned that way… blew one factory tire on new 2020 rig. It was a clean separation blow with no damage. Whole tread came off with a boom never to be seen again.
We decided we’d get tires in 1 hour in Albuquerque… but 30 minutes later second tire let loose on other side and messed up jack electric lines and side skirt.
Luckily I carry two spares.

Now have 4 new Goodyears and two new spares.
My TPMS gave no indication of temperature or pressure increase or decrease that would lead me to suspect coming problem.
The TPMS is only a monitor… when a tire blows the TPMS doesn’t help because you’re already in the middle of controlling the rig and getting slowed.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel Super Duty
Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 600AH BattleBorn Lithium Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus Inverter
SoftStartRV on both AC’s - Predator 3500 generator
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 06:44 PM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcarver02 View Post
Please consider buying a matching set of 4 Goodyear Endurance Load Range E tires an no China Bombs. Do some research and you will find most all of these tires from China including Carlisle and Trailer King have big troubles. Never will I have these on any trailer. My story is so much like yours it is scary. Two years old and a huge bulge and steel belts hanging out. I am so careful with pressure and

Your initial problem came with a failure of older Trailer King tires - which is bound to happen in my experience.

I find it interesting that you decide to throw Carlisle in there now since they have had great results in recent years with their Radial Trail HD and then compare them with TK because they are from China. As has been discussed many times there are differences in the plants in China, methods of construction and quality control. TK, made in the plant in Shandong province consistently performs very poorly; the Carlisle performs very well. Just thought I would throw that in for you.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 07:26 PM   #27
rlh1957

I agree with Sourdough… replace all your Trailer King Tires and don’t forget your spare is Trailer King.

I got the Goodyear but some tire shops have said Carlisle had become a very dependable tire now.

Just like everything from China isn’t bad, everything from Germany isn’t good by the same measure.

The American companies that operate in or contract in China have the final say what quality and requirements they want.
Marginal quality control what do your expect? Cutting costs to make dollars certainly couldn’t be a motive! LOL

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel Super Duty
Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 600AH BattleBorn Lithium Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus Inverter
SoftStartRV on both AC’s - Predator 3500 generator
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 08:00 PM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
I agree with Sourdough… replace all your Trailer King Tires and don’t forget your spare is Trailer King.

I got the Goodyear but some tire shops have said Carlisle had become a very dependable tire now.

Just like everything from China isn’t bad, everything from Germany isn’t good by the same measure.

The American companies that operate in or contract in China have the final say what quality and requirements they want.
Marginal quality control what do your expect? Cutting costs to make dollars certainly couldn’t be a motive!
LOL
I agree with you, everything made in china isn't bad and everything made in germany isn't good....

For clarity, here's my understanding of tire quality differences between TK's and Carlisle's ST offerings....

Trailer King tires are manufactured in China "by chinese owned factories supervised by chinese who make the decisions on what's "Good enough to ship to the USA".....

Carlisle, in order to avoid the high labor costs in the USA, built a tire plant in China. Chinese labor makes the tires under American management and supervision and Americans make the decisions on what's "good enough to ship to the USA"....

There is a difference in "tire quality" among tires manufactured in China...

TK's are "bought in bulk from Chinese factories and marketed in the US by TBC, a tire importer.

Carlisle tires are manufactured by Carlisle in China and marketed in the US by Carlisle, a tire manufacturer....

Note the "distinct differences" ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 07:47 AM   #29
jjlaroch

Don't take a chance

I bought new tires three years ago. Since then, I bought a new truck that couldn't handle the weight of the 5Ver I already have. Told my wife that is she wanted to come along we needed a bigger truck. Just ordered my 2022 F350 XLT on Friday. So didn't even try to use the 5ver for the last three years. Tires may have 1200 miles on them. Grandson came up with cancer in beginning of "19 and had to deal with that. So, it hasn't moved since before the last truck. I'm still putting on new tires after I get the new truck in. Why? Because the only thing between safety and disaster is four this pieces of rubber making contact with he road at speeds of around 70 mph. Besides, I learned the hard way and $6000.00 worth of damage from the three that blew out on the trip to Florida from hell. Never again. If I can afford the 5ver, I better be able to afford the tires to pull it safely. BTW, Grandson's cancer...cured. Thank GOD.

"Gonna be retired again and living the good life with my dear wife of 42 years."
jjlaroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 08:25 AM   #30
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjlaroch View Post
I bought new tires three years ago. Since then, I bought a new truck that couldn't handle the weight of the 5Ver I already have. Told my wife that is she wanted to come along we needed a bigger truck. Just ordered my 2022 F350 XLT on Friday. So didn't even try to use the 5ver for the last three years. Tires may have 1200 miles on them. Grandson came up with cancer in beginning of "19 and had to deal with that. So, it hasn't moved since before the last truck. I'm still putting on new tires after I get the new truck in. Why? Because the only thing between safety and disaster is four this pieces of rubber making contact with he road at speeds of around 70 mph. Besides, I learned the hard way and $6000.00 worth of damage from the three that blew out on the trip to Florida from hell. Never again. If I can afford the 5ver, I better be able to afford the tires to pull it safely. BTW, Grandson's cancer...cured. Thank GOD.

You make some excellent observations/comments. Owning an RV is not for folks that want to do things "on the cheap" and will cost money, sometimes seemingly needlessly, to do it right and safely. BTW great new on the grandson.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 09:51 AM   #31
rhagfo

Quote:
So I am a little lost on the 2018 Ram 2500 gas 6.4 is not enough TV for a 5er with a GVWR of 10,500#. You should have about 3,000# payload and about 2,100# pin.
Not knocking your decision to get a F350, but was it lack of power?
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 12:16 PM   #32
rjrelander

Quote:
Told my wife that is she wanted to come along we needed a bigger truck.
"... and that's the last thing I remember, Doc."

Randi & Shirley
2016 Ford F-350 SRW CCSB 6.7L 4WD
2022 Forest River Vibe 26RK
rjrelander is offline   Reply With Quote