Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2021, 08:13 AM   #21
Camping family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docj1981 View Post
Hello All!

We recently purchased a 2021 Cougar Half-Ton towable Fifth Wheel 32BHS and will be towing it with a 2021 6.2L Silverado 1500. I did alot of research before buying and certainly appreciated all the information coming from the Forum. We have been using a 2016 FR Vibe bumper pull - but this will be our first experience with a 5'er. Towed home just fine (of course the MPG was terrible!).

I still have concerns that I will be happy with the half-ton truck pulling it, but I'm going to give it a shot. Any comments from you about experience you have with a similar setup would be appreciated!

We have a trip planned for late June to Colorado so that should be a real test.

Two things I know I need to do before we leave - replace the tires (thinking about Carlisle) and do something about the Capital grill in the outdoor kitchen based on all the bad reviews on the forum. Anything else come to mind?

Looking forward to any feedback!!!
Can’t give advice about replacing the tires plenty on here about that. I have a 29 rks 5th wheel and pull with a F250. Not an expert on weight but plenty on here who will say you need at least a 3/4 ton and there is really no such thing as a 1/2 5th wheel. But as for the grill I removed mine and replaced it with a Blackstone griddle 17 inch. Only retreat I should of went with the 22 it would of fit perfect where the original grill was. With the 17 I had to do some mods. Check this site for pics of those who replaced theirs with the Blackstone.
Enjoy your adventures be safe
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 08:23 AM   #22
cavie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docj1981 View Post
Hello All!

We recently purchased a 2021 Cougar Half-Ton towable Fifth Wheel 32BHS and will be towing it with a 2021 6.2L Silverado 1500. I did alot of research before buying and certainly appreciated all the information coming from the Forum. We have been using a 2016 FR Vibe bumper pull - but this will be our first experience with a 5'er. Towed home just fine (of course the MPG was terrible!).

I still have concerns that I will be happy with the half-ton truck pulling it, but I'm going to give it a shot. Any comments from you about experience you have with a similar setup would be appreciated!

We have a trip planned for late June to Colorado so that should be a real test.

Two things I know I need to do before we leave - replace the tires (thinking about Carlisle) and do something about the Capital grill in the outdoor kitchen based on all the bad reviews on the forum. Anything else come to mind?

Looking forward to any feedback!!!
https://blog.campingworld.com/rv-bas...-pickup-truck/
Old 05-23-2021, 09:00 AM   #23
notanlines

Butch, I read that article and it is right on the money! I might also add that I'm a little surprised that Camping World would print it. Most RV dealers would bury that in the want ad section. And the average car dealer would term it blasphemous!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 12:10 PM   #24
Phil Saran

I think you have been given all the info you need.

I live in Colorado (Parker just south of Denver) and my house is at
6,000 feet.

Depending on where you want to travel here you are looking at being
at between 5,000 and 10,000 feet.

I believe your current setup will not make for a very satisfactory trip.

I have a 2019 Keystone Cougar 30RLS 34 foot 5th wheel (12,000#
loaded) and tow with a 2012 Ram 3500 diesel 4x4 short bed 3:73
gears. My mpg average is 10 to 12.

I wish you the best, but like others have said I think you have not
enough truck for the 5th wheel you have purchased.
Colorado
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 06:14 PM   #25
Ken / Claudia

The poster said while towing he was not bumping the overload springs. Do 1/2 tons even have any type of overload spring system?
I ask since I was only aware of those on HD 3/4 ton packages and of course 1 tons plus.
Maybe the the factories are adding them now days to get higher GVWR?
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote