Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2021, 08:14 AM   #1
Lee

Annual axle bearing maintenance

Hi,

While performing my annual axle bearing repacking, on the first drum I removed , I noticed that the conductor that supplies power to the brake magnet had been in contact with the back of the rotating brake drum. White arrow in attached picture. This resulted in the other cable insulation being worn through. Luckily, upon closer inspection the inner conductors were found not to be compromised. SCARY!!!!!!!!!!!

I moved the small metal cable retainer (black arrow in picture) from where you see it in the picture... to as far right along the yellow spring as it would go and then I gently compressed it with plyers so it would not work its way back along the yellow spring. This will keep the cable from contacting the drum.

Brake shoes and magnet still have a lot of life left in them.

Repacked the bearings, installed new seal and reassembled. Moving on to the next drum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Worn wire.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	32694  

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 08:32 AM   #2
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Hi,

While performing my annual axle bearing repacking, on the first drum I removed , I noticed that the conductor that supplies power to the brake magnet had been in contact with the back of the rotating brake drum. White arrow in attached picture. This resulted in the other cable insulation being worn through. Luckily, upon closer inspection the inner conductors were found not to be compromised. SCARY!!!!!!!!!!!

I moved the small metal cable retainer (black arrow in picture) from where you see it in the picture... to as far right along the yellow spring as it would go and then I gently compressed it with plyers so it would not work its way back along the yellow spring. This will keep the cable from contacting the drum.

Brake shoes and magnet still have a lot of life left in them.

Repacked the bearings, installed new seal and reassembled. Moving on to the next drum.
As you learned, it's always a good idea to check the 12V leads going to the brakes on every wheel. I checked mine on my triple axle camper and found a couple to be in a position that they would have eventually begin to wear through the insulation and the wire make contact with ground. A few minutes of moving wires around and using some zip ties solved the issue for now. Zip ties will eventually get brittle and possibly break, so it's a good idea to check them at least a couple of times a year to make sure they are still intact. Good heads up....thanks for posting that.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 08:42 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I've always seen these, You must have the new and improved (read cheaper) version.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...ailer%20Brakes

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 04:02 PM   #4
bobbecky

You said in the title that this is annual bearing maintenance, but as was discovered it is really annual brake inspection and in order to inspect the brakes, the bearings get repacked and new seals are installed when the drums are removed. Before upgrading to disc brakes on our rig, I performed my annual inspection and found one of the USA made Dexter assemblies had totally come apart and had parts completely ground up to dust. The decision to upgrade to discs was a lot easier after finding this. The adjuster screw assembly and spring, along with a couple other parts were what were ground up inside the drum, and there was no obvious indication that there was a problem with any of the brakes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	failed brake assembly.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	32706  
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 07:49 PM   #5
Old Mustanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
You said in the title that this is annual bearing maintenance, but as was discovered it is really annual brake inspection and in order to inspect the brakes, the bearings get repacked and new seals are installed when the drums are removed. Before upgrading to disc brakes on our rig, I performed my annual inspection and found one of the USA made Dexter assemblies had totally come apart and had parts completely ground up to dust. The decision to upgrade to discs was a lot easier after finding this. The adjuster screw assembly and spring, along with a couple other parts were what were ground up inside the drum, and there was no obvious indication that there was a problem with any of the brakes.

this is the same thing I experienced 2 years in a row, getting the disc brakes installed on April 17th.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 08:43 PM   #6
bobbecky

You will love the discs. We had Performance Trailer Braking install ours a couple years ago and they work great. The photo is the end of the first half day of the install, and was completed the next day.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	new disc brakes.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	32715  
Old 03-29-2021, 05:55 AM   #7
ChuckS

While the disk brakes are nice if you have the money to burn...I don’t.. I’ve had zero issues wit( my OEM brakes and bearings in my 2014... main tend they are a pretty good setup ... not as nice as the disk setup but they will last

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 09:25 AM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
While the disk brakes are nice if you have the money to burn...I don’t.. I’ve had zero issues wit( my OEM brakes and bearings in my 2014... main tend they are a pretty good setup ... not as nice as the disk setup but they will last
I agree with proper maintenance they will last!
But the disc brakes, although a bit pricey, are like towing a rv with a diesel truck compared to a gasser, once you've towed with diesel you'll never want another gas tow vehicle. Once you've had a rv with disc brakes you'll never want drums again. The difference is night & day in stopping/slowing performance.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 09:31 AM   #9
bobbecky

We upgraded, not because the discs are nice looking but because we full time and over the years have had enough issues with the drums that the last failure we had with the drums was really the last drum brake failure we were going to have. The disc brakes are totally a safety upgrade and according to testing that was done, the disc brakes on the trailer alone can stop the truck/trailer combination quicker than the truck/trailer drum brakes can stop. The combination with the trailer discs now works well together giving a very controlled stop.

Tags
axle, maintenance