Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2021, 11:28 AM   #1
akmk81

PullRite SuperLite question

Hey guys, new member here with my first (probably of many) question.
So I just received my new PullRite SuperLite hitch today. I haven't installed it yet but I put the ball in the hitch just to see how everything fit and I noticed that there is about 3/16" movement vertically. Horizontally there is little to no movement. To those folks out there that have this hitch installed can you tell me if this is normal?
Thanks.

2004 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.0 Powerstroke Lariat CC SB SRW
2018 Cougar 311res
PullRite SuperLite on standard rails
akmk81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:22 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I bet there won’t be any vertical movement when you get the pin weight on it
Put a 2 5/16” ball in a trailer tongue and lock it. How much vertical play is there?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 02:30 PM   #3
akmk81

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I bet there won’t be any vertical movement when you get the pin weight on it
Put a 2 5/16” ball in a trailer tongue and lock it. How much vertical play is there?
Yeah I figured the pin weight would take care of it except when on a rough road where there's a lot of bouncing (think I84 in PA).
Thanks for the reply.

2018 Cougar 311res
Old 03-10-2021, 03:27 PM   #4
ewbldavis

Hmm...I'll have to take my Andersen ball and see if there is "play".

I can tell you from towing - there doesn't seem to be any when connected. I would expect same from Pullrite even though setup is "inverted".

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 04:47 PM   #5
akmk81

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewbldavis View Post
Hmm...I'll have to take my Andersen ball and see if there is "play".

I can tell you from towing - there doesn't seem to be any when connected. I would expect same from Pullrite even though setup is "inverted".
I considered the Andersen but I have a tripod I put under the pin and with this "inverted pin" I can still use it.
Thanks for the info.

2018 Cougar 311res
Old 03-10-2021, 06:05 PM   #6
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmk81 View Post
I considered the Andersen but I have a tripod I put under the pin and with this "inverted pin" I can still use it.
Thanks for the info.
From my experience with the tripod if you want the Anderson type hitch I doubt you'd miss the the tripod. I'm not a big fan of those type of hitches & gave the heavy, bulky, hard to store for hauling, that didn't help much tripod away after using a couple months.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 05:59 AM   #7
gearhead

I had a SuperLite 2600 single point hitch, if that is what you are referring to. If I remember correctly PullRite advertises that you don't have to re-torque the draw down before every tow, unlike the Andersen. The draw down bolt is what tightens up on the gooseneck ball. There is a serrated conical washer under the nut that was apparently designed to act as a lock nut. There is also a hairpin to prevent total loss of the nut. Mine worked well at first but as time went on I had to retorque the draw down nut more frequently. If I didn't I would get slams at stop signs. I believe what was happening was what we called "tolerance stack up" in the machinery world. It's a good hitch if you occasionally check the torque on the draw down nut. I'm thinking that was 60 ft lbs.
Also be aware that the plates under the feet have different angles on the length wise edge. Pay close attention in the directions as to which way they go...forward or rearward. I thought the directions for the "box" over the hitch ball were written wrong. A couple inches can be gained depending on which way you place the box.
You may also want to use plastic coated cables instead of safety chains. The chains get tangled in the lock/unlock mechanism.
Good luck.
PullRite has very good customer service. Call them with any questions.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 11:54 AM   #8
akmk81

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I had a SuperLite 2600 single point hitch, if that is what you are referring to. If I remember correctly PullRite advertises that you don't have to re-torque the draw down before every tow, unlike the Andersen. The draw down bolt is what tightens up on the gooseneck ball. There is a serrated conical washer under the nut that was apparently designed to act as a lock nut. There is also a hairpin to prevent total loss of the nut. Mine worked well at first but as time went on I had to retorque the draw down nut more frequently. If I didn't I would get slams at stop signs. I believe what was happening was what we called "tolerance stack up" in the machinery world. It's a good hitch if you occasionally check the torque on the draw down nut. I'm thinking that was 60 ft lbs.
Also be aware that the plates under the feet have different angles on the length wise edge. Pay close attention in the directions as to which way they go...forward or rearward. I thought the directions for the "box" over the hitch ball were written wrong. A couple inches can be gained depending on which way you place the box.
You may also want to use plastic coated cables instead of safety chains. The chains get tangled in the lock/unlock mechanism.
Good luck.
PullRite has very good customer service. Call them with any questions.
My bad...I should have stated in the original post that I have the #2400 model that fits in conventional rails. Also I emailed PullRite before purchasing about the need for safety chains and they replied that "Per our patent on this hitch it is not considered a goose neck style hitch rather a ball mounted 5th wheel hitch. With that being said you will be not required in any state to have safety chains." So I'm going with that.

2018 Cougar 311res
Old 03-11-2021, 01:43 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmk81 View Post
My bad...I should have stated in the original post that I have the #2400 model that fits in conventional rails. Also I emailed PullRite before purchasing about the need for safety chains and they replied that "Per our patent on this hitch it is not considered a goose neck style hitch rather a ball mounted 5th wheel hitch. With that being said you will be not required in any state to have safety chains." So I'm going with that.

Do a little more research. I think you will find what PullRite says will have zero bearing with an LEO that thinks you should have chains. Many states require chains on goosenecks or anything that resembles them if it not a conventional 5th wheel hitch.

I was told the same thing about the Andersen. After digging into it I found it is going to be up to the LEO and how he interprets whatever law is in effect in his state. I put the chains on. In NM you either plead guilty on the spot or have to return, in person, to contest whatever ticket you are given. I figure some other places will have the same rules, and, in many places a local judge is NOT going to overturn a simple ticket like that given by a state trooper. Doesn't make sense to take that chance, they're cheap and not an issue to use.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 01:50 PM   #10
gearhead

When I was first shopping the PullRite I called them about the safety chain issue. They told me the same thing...no chains needed.
After reading somewhere that yes chains are needed and that PullRite had redesigned the hitch for chains. I called them and they sent me a new ball assembly for the pinbox.
When I mangled the lock/unlock mechanism. I called PullRite about buying a new funnel & lock assembly. They quoted me $150+ but said they would send me one free if I paid for shipping.
So they treated me pretty well.
But yes, as I understand it, you need chains.
Old 03-11-2021, 01:55 PM   #11
gearhead

"In NM you either plead guilty on the spot or have to return, in person, to contest whatever ticket you are given."
Sounds like Louisiana...you'll be on the side of the road digging for cash.
Old 03-11-2021, 02:15 PM   #12
travelin texans

If I recall in Texas any trailer attached to a hitch with a ball safety chains are required. Not familiar with the Pullrite, but the Anderson is considered a "ball type" hitch, chains will be required.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 02:52 PM   #13
gearhead

PullRite is basically the same as Andersen. Just the male and female are switched.
Old 03-11-2021, 03:12 PM   #14
ewbldavis

I personally am glad I have the chains.

FWIW - we put BAL Lock Arms (same thing as JT Strong Arms but much more cost effective). No experience with tripod, but the Lock Arms are self-storing and AWESOME.

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 05:58 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

When you've got out of state license plates, a "big expensive RV" behind your truck, you're already marked as "easy prey" by any "ambitious LEO"... There are many (way too many) "podunk towns" in out of the way places with no means of supporting the town's infrastructure on the current tax base. So, many of the mayors, city councils, police chiefs and sheriffs devise plans to supplement the city revenue income by "anticipating potential infractions before they happen"....

There are a couple of "infamous towns in Louisiana" that have some of the best paid police officers in the state. The town income is primarily based on the 45 MPH speed limit and the brick "welcome to...." sign at the city limits. Those signs are conveniently the correct size to conceal a police cruiser with active radar... Most have a $150 penalty for 1 MPH over the posted speed and you "have the honor of tacking on a $45 court cost (if you pay by cash, credit or debit card) at the time of the offense. If you choose to not plead guilty, you're taken to the police station, processed, get a justice of the peace hearing to set bail and are on your way. Bail is usually 2 or 3 times the cost of the fine and court costs, so either way, you lose..

Many states (probably most states) have a law stipulating that if a trailer is connected to the hitch with a ball, safety chains are required... What a "hitch manufacturer in the opposite side of the US says the law "ought to be" won't usually make a bit of difference in "that special little town, on a Sunday afternoon, when the JP won't be able to set bail until after 10PM tonight when he gets back in town from church"....

For me, it's simply much easier to go 45 MPH and not attract any more attention than my "big old rig already brings to the mix".... I'll use safety chains, regardless of what some phone call to Iowa might suggest is the law in Louisiana (or "name your state").... Ain't worth the hassle, at least for me....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:14 PM   #16
akmk81

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
When I was first shopping the PullRite I called them about the safety chain issue. They told me the same thing...no chains needed.
After reading somewhere that yes chains are needed and that PullRite had redesigned the hitch for chains. I called them and they sent me a new ball assembly for the pinbox.
When I mangled the lock/unlock mechanism. I called PullRite about buying a new funnel & lock assembly. They quoted me $150+ but said they would send me one free if I paid for shipping.
So they treated me pretty well.
But yes, as I understand it, you need chains.
Ok I'm convinced! After hearing the arguments for chains I'm going to email PullRite about a pin box adapter that has provisions to attach the chains.
Gearhead, did they give you a whole new adapter or new "eye" bolts to attach the adapter with. Just curious. BTW, thanks for all the input from everybody.

2018 Cougar 311res
Old 03-12-2021, 06:05 AM   #17
gearhead

They mailed me the entire pinbox adapter. From memory it had a couple extra buttresses welded in to hook chains to.
Old 03-12-2021, 06:17 AM   #18
gearhead

PullRite

Here you go. Pic of the new adapter with the buttress with a hole in it....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1706.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	32415  
Old 03-12-2021, 06:31 AM   #19
gearhead

I'm surprised that PullRite sent you an "old model" adapter. One would think that all adapters being shipped would be the newer style with accommodations for chains.
They weren't at all hesitant to replace mine with the new style.
Old 03-12-2021, 06:41 AM   #20
gearhead

John...I hold the family record for transporting grandparents from Houston to Alexandria. 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner.
I sorta reconsidered my actions after the cousins were standing on the side of the road, or maybe in the JP office, digging for pocket change to pay their fine.
Texas plates attract the police in Louisiana. I go back frequently and running down Hwy 190 at 55mph I always think...in Texas this would be at least 65, probably 70, maybe 75.
But it is what it is and Louisiana isn't alone.