Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2021, 05:32 AM   #1
Dege

Anderson Hitch Voids Warranty?

My dealer says Keystone sent out a memo stating something to the effect that using the Anderson Hitch voids the warranty. Has anyone else heard this?
Dege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 05:39 AM   #2
rhagfo

Well if I were to change from a traditional 5th wheel pin hitch to a ball hitch, I would get a Goose Box from Reese. Endorsed by Lippert, simple goose ball in bed, in my state both require safety chains.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 05:47 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Keystone won’t void the warranty, Lippert makes the frame and if there is an issue specific to the frame, Lippert may deny the claim based on use of a non endorsed hitch.

Anderson states they carry an insurance policy in these cases, but the fine print says after they investigate. I don’t have an Anderson hitch, lots of people do and have no issues.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 05:56 AM   #4
Dege

Here's the thing. My TV is my every day truck. 2021 Silverado 2500HD standard bed. I need my truck for other things when we're not RV'ing and getting the hitch in and out the bed at 70 years of age is a major concern. I've looked at the Reese Goose ball and my only issue with it is I have a standard bed (read short bed) which makes me worried the Reese would limit my turn capability. The Anderson seemed to address both concerns so when I heard there might be a warranty issue I wanted to clear it up before I proceeded with the Anderson.
Old 03-08-2021, 05:59 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Depending on brand of hitch in the bed, you can get an offset ball.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 03-08-2021, 06:02 AM   #6
Dege

Thanks for that info Chuckster. I have read the Anderson warranty and it does seem like they are hedging their bets a little but I'm thinking that's what most manufacturers do. As a consumer it's tough to know where you stand. Still, the Anderson has been used for quite awhile so I'm not sure why it is an OEMs are having an issue with it now.

The statement about Keystone and warranty came straight from my dealer as I was ordering my FW just a week ago. He said he actually received a memo from Keystone.
Old 03-08-2021, 06:03 AM   #7
Dege

I have the factory puck system so unless I went with some sort of rail system, I'm stuck with the ball at that spot.
Old 03-08-2021, 06:17 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Can you post a copy of that memo?

If you have the ball mount in the center of the bed, you could use an off set ball mount to move the ball up to 4” aft.

Old 03-08-2021, 06:27 AM   #9
Dege

I have not actually seen the memo. I'm just repeating what the dealer told me but when I go by there this week I will ask for a copy of it. It would be important to an Keystone owner I would think.

As for the offset ball, the issue I am told is with the GM puck system. It has a round receiver for the goose ball and the only goose ball extenders I have seen have a square hole requirement. I think the Reese system uses that. On the plus side the goose ball is 2 inches aft of the axle and the Half-Ton supposedly can turn up to 83 degrees with a standard hitch in a short bed. I might be worrying about nothing here but since I've only pulled a conventional hitch before I'm trying figure out what the best solution would be for me BEFORE it becomes a problem
Old 03-08-2021, 06:41 AM   #10
dutchmensport

What year is your camper? If it's more than one year old, the basic manufacture's warranty is now expired. You could have more than 1 year warranty on some of the parts, but likely not too many remain under warranty after 1 year. The trailer frame may be warrantied at 3 years. If your camper is older than 3 years, the frame is probably out of warranty also.

So, if the camper is now out of warranty, you might as well go ahead and swap the pin box out for an Andersen set-up. Warranty doesn't matter any more.

How old is your camper?
Old 03-08-2021, 07:05 AM   #11
Dege

The FW is on order. It's a 2021.
Old 03-08-2021, 07:26 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

OP I own/use the Andersen. Before purchasing I talked to the SM at my dealership whom I've worked with for years. He said they sell tons of them and have had no issues at all. Now,

In an effort to sort of "clear the air" I contacted Keystone; the head of one of the 5th wheel brands. He said, as was mentioned, the warranty would come from Lippert. Lippert would not warrant the Andersen because Andersen refused to submit their hitch to Lippert to test. So in my mind that then put the monkey on Andersens' back to explain. After many attempts; phone (message left) and emails I have never received an answer back - not even when I just left a message saying I was an owner and had questions (didn't specify warranty). In addition, the warranty DOES leave an out for Andersen as THEY have to be to one that says/agrees their hitch caused a failure. I've read of a few failures but never one where Andersen stepped up - they use that clause to deny claims.

So in the end where do I stand? When I got so aggravated at Andersen I was heck bent to replace it and throw it away. After looking.....and looking, I found nothing that made sense for ME. Like you I'm not going to horse a 200# hitch in and out of the bed. I need and want the additional payload - and the bed space. I know LOTS of people that have an Andersen and to a man they have loved them and had no issues. Looked at the Reese Goose Box and for the life of me don't see how it does anything to improve any kind of stress put on the frame of the 5ver. The only thing going for Reese is the relationship they have with Lippert (exclusive supplier). I'm right at 1 year of ownership. I still think about the Goose Box but I've not made that leap. If I had it to do all over again I would have opted for the Goose Box instead of the Andersen IF, and I mean if, it would work as well in a SWB truck. If not, I'd be back with the Andersen. Get the hitch for the benefits it provides you. I would not, in any way or stretch of the imagination, think that Andersen was going to be a standup company that "had your back". JMO/YMMV
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 08:00 AM   #13
Dege

Danny my wife and I are 3 years behind you! Thanks for your well spoken reply. There are several Youtube reviews for the Reese Goose Ball hitch and a short bed truck and there are limits but limits I doubt I'll ever reach. As my wife said we haven't needed even 45 degrees parking our TT so the 83 degrees Cougar claims is overkill so to speak. I'm leaning more and more toward the Reese over the Anderson especially since my dealer said he would install either one at no cost. Additionally being retired after 26 years from the Army, that whole defacing a natural monument in our National Parks is disturbing.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:08 AM   #14
Northofu1

If the pull rite super lite wasn't so expensive I probably would have gone with that, Andersen Ultimate is half the price and works just fine.

Not sure if the pull rite voids the warranty as it's the same concept.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:46 AM   #15
Dege

Lippert knew they could scare off a lot of the competition by doing what they're doing and I understand that. It's business after all. Also there may be valid reasons their stance is what it is but as a new FW owner I just don't need the nagging doubts about the warranty. I was set on the Anderson hitch until the dealer mentioned the memo (which I will try to get a copy of and post here). Besides, the Reese Goose box hitch gets some pretty rave reviews. I'll be towing this Cougar Half-Ton with a 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500. The standard bed is 82.25 inches. 13.75 inches shorter than a long bed. The goose ball is actually 2 inches behind the axle and it's 42 inches from the axle to the cab. 44 inches in total or 4 inches shorter than a long bed. Keystone claims in their video on the Half-Ton website that a short bed truck can turn up to 83° with a standard hitch. If you have a slider hitch and slide back 6 inches you can get up to 95 degrees. In my worn out old brain, I'm figuring the ball placement is 2 inches further back so math says I should get a max turn of 87°. The only unknown here is if the arm of the Reese hitch is the same, shorter or longer than the hitch that comes with the trailer. Lol, FW ownership is already giving me headaches and it isn't even delivered yet!
Old 03-08-2021, 10:32 AM   #16
Brantel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dege View Post
Lippert knew they could scare off a lot of the competition by doing what they're doing and I understand that. It's business after all. Also there may be valid reasons their stance is what it is but as a new FW owner I just don't need the nagging doubts about the warranty. I was set on the Anderson hitch until the dealer mentioned the memo (which I will try to get a copy of and post here). Besides, the Reese Goose box hitch gets some pretty rave reviews. I'll be towing this Cougar Half-Ton with a 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500. The standard bed is 82.25 inches. 13.75 inches shorter than a long bed. The goose ball is actually 2 inches behind the axle and it's 42 inches from the axle to the cab. 44 inches in total or 4 inches shorter than a long bed. Keystone claims in their video on the Half-Ton website that a short bed truck can turn up to 83° with a standard hitch. If you have a slider hitch and slide back 6 inches you can get up to 95 degrees. In my worn out old brain, I'm figuring the ball placement is 2 inches further back so math says I should get a max turn of 87°. The only unknown here is if the arm of the Reese hitch is the same, shorter or longer than the hitch that comes with the trailer. Lol, FW ownership is already giving me headaches and it isn't even delivered yet!
Just keep in mind that the math only works when the TV and the FW are in the same plane as each other. As soon as you add uneven terrain into the mix, the chances that you hit your cab and bust out your back window or your pinbox or FW overhang hits your bed rails increases.
Brantel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 11:23 AM   #17
chuckster57
Site Team

How far forward of the trailer the “hitch point” would be would depend on which pin box you have. I’m sure Lippert or Reese could tell you based on pin box part number.

Old 03-08-2021, 12:56 PM   #18
gearhead

I just got a Reese Goosebox last week. I previously had a PullRite SuperLite 2600. At first I liked the PullRite but as time went on it seemed to be transmitting more and more sharp jolts and slams at stop signs. I thought it might have been the rubber shear brake in the MoorRyde pinbox. Figured I damaged it backing up into my "boat ramp" driveway. Ordered a new brake and replaced mine. Looked as good as the new one. Next time I towed I was still getting the sharp shocks. I went all over the hitch looking for what could be wrong. I retorqued the draw down nut in the truck and it helped a little, then got worse again. PullRite advertises that the draw down doesn't have to be retorqued before every tow, unlike the Andersen.
Heck with all this. That's when I started looking at GEN Y. The shop Foreman at my repair shop was a bit leery of it because of the so few reviews he had seen. I called a local Heartland dealer and he said he will not install a Andersen but has put a lot of Gooseboxes on Landmarks. He hasn't sold a GEN Y. We discussed that I'm right at the 4,000# max for the Reese Goosebox pin weight. Not a problem, go for it. I did.
Driving home from the shop it did well. I'll play around with the airbag pressures and see where I land.
The Goosebox is very similar to a 5th Airborne which I had on a Montana HC. I liked it.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 02:33 PM   #19
Dege

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantel View Post
Just keep in mind that the math only works when the TV and the FW are in the same plane as each other. As soon as you add uneven terrain into the mix, the chances that you hit your cab and bust out your back window or your pinbox or FW overhang hits your bed rails increases.

Good point. I would think that is true of even a long bed. There are situations where the normal clearance will be reduced a good deal. I can't account for every scenario but I'm trying to be prepared as much as possible by knowing what I can do normally and then adding that extra safety buffer.
Old 03-14-2021, 08:03 AM   #20
pdaniel

Interesting about Andersen hitches and warranties. When I bought my current 5th wheel an Andersen was recommended. Stand next to us was a sales rep for the rig manufacturer. He said there were no warranty issues from using an Andersen.
I’m going into year three and have had no issues and I know a few that have been using an Andersen for sometime.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, warranty