Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2021, 10:37 AM   #1
Lizard31

Planning 1st trip, please share any thoughts!

Hi everyone,

Need to travel to Alabama over the summer (coming from Mass). Considering taking our new Cougar down instead of flying. 19 hours driving time (in a regular vehicle), so I figure plan for three days each way. Two if possible. Any recommendations on planning? Is there a website or app that is reputable? Are there any spots or routes along the way that we should consider using or more importantly, AVOIDING? Looks like the route would be via PA, VA, NC, TN and into AL. I've never driven that particular route.

Feel free to share any info you think is helpful, and thanks in advance!!

-Lizard
Lizard31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:04 AM   #2
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard31 View Post
Hi everyone,

Need to travel to Alabama over the summer (coming from Mass). Considering taking our new Cougar down instead of flying. 19 hours driving time (in a regular vehicle), so I figure plan for three days each way. Two if possible. Any recommendations on planning? Is there a website or app that is reputable? Are there any spots or routes along the way that we should consider using or more importantly, AVOIDING? Looks like the route would be via PA, VA, NC, TN and into AL. I've never driven that particular route.

Feel free to share any info you think is helpful, and thanks in advance!!

-Lizard
We like using RV Trip Wizard. It is a paid app but there is a trial version that you can play with to see if you like it. It shows campgrounds along the route with quick links to see reviews/amenities etc. of each. It will also lists gas stations/trucks stops and other points of interest along the way. Once you enter the parameters of your rig (length, height, average MPG, how far you wish to travel per day etc.) it will route you around any areas not conducive to RV travel as well as plotting out approximately when you will be low on fuel.

Here is a link to the site: RV Trip Wizard
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:05 AM   #3
jsb5717

I don't know about the various Android or IOS apps available but I use RV Trip Wizard. It's the most comprehensive tool I've found for planning an RV trip. It is a subscription service but there's also a free trial so you can take a look.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:08 AM   #4
notanlines

Florence or Gulf Shores? We really need to know from and to where.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 12:45 PM   #5
Lizard31

Hi Jim,

Going to Huntsville area from the Boston-area
Lizard31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 12:54 PM   #6
Maineiacs

When we travel from Maine we always take 84 out of Mass all the way to Scranton, PA. where we pick up 81. Usually smooth sailing. Have taken 81 as far as VA, then shifted to 95. Your trip will be around 1,100 or 1,200 miles. There's a couple of convenient CG's in the Lebanon-Hershey PA area just off 81 right about the 400 mile mark. That's as far as we can go in a day. YMMV.
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

2021 F-350 4x4 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab
Maineiacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 02:05 PM   #7
Cbrez

We normally try to avoid I-81 because of the high volume of tractor trailer rigs, but in your case it’s probably most expedient.

If your route planning ends up with a layover in Virginia, check out Shenandoah Acres Family Campground just south of Staunton. Nice lake with a restaurant so you wouldn’t have to go far for dinner after traveling all day.

https://www.sunrvresorts.com/resorts...andoah-acres/#

P. S. Take 3 days, not 2.
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 03:17 PM   #8
notanlines

Chris, how you get to Allentown from the Boston area is going to take more of a wizard than I am. That 300 miles is going to be about the same as heading into downtown Houston at 7:00 AM with an 8:00 flight out of Houston Hobby after 4 cups of coffee in Texas City at the refinery....sound like I've been there?
I have no advice for that stretch. From that point on the only grief might be Knoxville, but we haven't had much problem since the world's fair 40 years ago.
When in Huntsville give a try at the Cajun Steamer over on Pelam. Not EACTLY true Cajun, but very good nonetheless.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote