Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2020, 04:41 PM   #1
jasin1

Undercoating

I have had my rig since august. I don’t opt for undercoating on new vehicles,is this something worth doing either by myself or have someone put it on for me?
I read a post by a member yesterday I think that said the salt roads from traveling in winter really affected the frame and caused premature rust.
Am I wastingmy time and money thinking about this? I was gonna just do any exposed frame I can see and leave it at that.
Old 12-28-2020, 05:02 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

JMHO, I wouldn’t spend the money. Just take the time to wash it if you tow in the winter and get salt water on the suspension or frame.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 05:05 PM   #3
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
JMHO, I wouldn’t spend the money. Just take the time to wash it if you tow in the winter and get salt water on the suspension or frame.
Ok thanks probably makes it easier to service as well
Old 12-28-2020, 05:40 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm not sure that there's much you can do this winter except try not to tow it on wet salted roads. In the spring, I'd suggest cleaning the underside well and spraying all exposed metal components with a good "wet coat" of Fluid Film. It's an excellent rust inhibitor and lasts for quite a long time. I spray mine every fall, before the wet weather starts rolling in and keep the bottom of the trailer clean through the towing season.

You can find Fluid Film at most any auto parts store and even at Lowe's.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fluid-Film-...m-Oil/50335157

The "important thing" is to keep the salt to a minimum for the maximum time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FLUID FILM.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	239.7 KB
ID:	31311  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 05:45 PM   #5
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'm not sure that there's much you can do this winter except try not to tow it on wet salted roads. In the spring, I'd suggest cleaning the underside well and spraying all exposed metal components with a good "wet coat" of Fluid Film. It's an excellent rust inhibitor and lasts for quite a long time. I spray mine every fall, before the wet weather starts rolling in and keep the bottom of the trailer clean through the towing season.

You can find Fluid Film at most any auto parts store and even at Lowe's.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fluid-Film-...m-Oil/50335157

The "important thing" is to keep the salt to a minimum for the maximum time.
Ok looks good thanks
Old 12-29-2020, 06:46 AM   #6
Lee

John,.... How many cans are required to treat your RV?

Thanks,

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 07:58 AM   #7
Northofu1

Avoid parking on grass for prolonged periods of time. John's recommendation for fluid film is spot on. I also use it on my vehicles on vulnerable areas. I do have my vehicles rust proofed occasionally, not trailer.
Good luck
*Lee - As many cans as it takes. Start at 3 might take 5.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 08:14 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
John,.... How many cans are required to treat your RV?

Thanks,
I use two cans on the truck, one can on the Edge and 3 cans on the trailer. I pressure wash the trailer undercarriage, let it dry for a couple of days, then, with the slides extended, I spray everything that's metal and visible under the trailer. I also spray into the outlet leg weep holes in the landing gear inside the front compartment. That gets the film on the "inner surfaces of the outer tubes and the outer surfaces of the inner tubes.

Don't forget the inside of the pinbox and the inside of the rear bumper/hitch receiver as well as the underside of the folding steps.

Wear OLD clothing and wear goggles (I use swim goggles). Once you start spraying, you'll understand why.... Lanolin does not wash off easily, so showering 2 or 3 times will be necessary after you're finished. With old clothes, just toss them in the trash on your way to shower..... BTDT

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-29-2020, 09:03 AM   #9
ewbldavis

OK can I be devil's advocate here?

Besides coastal camping, isn't the goal to avoid winter weather? I understand not always possible, but after the snow on Christmas Eve, I'm done already

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 09:14 AM   #10
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewbldavis View Post

Besides coastal camping, isn't the goal to avoid winter weather? I understand not always possible, but after the snow on Christmas Eve, I'm done already
That’s why I want to go south a few times during the winter lol I want to “avoid winter weather “
I have to drive thru some salty roads to get there though. That was one of the reasons we bought a rv
jasin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 09:44 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewbldavis View Post

Being the "devil's advocate" (in answering your question)... When LEAVING a cold area (going south) once you get clear of the ice/snow/salt you can stop at any "tall car wash bay" and spend a couple bucks pressure washing the underside of the trailer.

The "problem" is in towing locally or in returning home after spending some time in the south.... Once you return to the ice/snow/salt, even if you can find a car wash, you've still got to tow through ice/snow/salt to get the trailer to storage.... Washing it "in the driveway" is not possible, unless you want a skating rink several inches thick to drive over the rest of the winter.....

So, some trailer owners who want to use their trailer for a hunting trip, a skiing trip or even as a weekend getaway, simply don't have the luxury of saying, "I'm done for the season"... They prefer to say, "One more trip next weekend? Hey, let's make it two more trips."

Protecting their investment isn't as easy as your method... They can't put it in storage until spring and still do what they want with their investment....

The one reason we don't tow south in December on ice/snow/salt is because we would then need to tow north in January or February on ice/snow/salt... So we wait to head south in February or March and don't come back until I can wash the trailer in the driveway in April.... YMMV

ADDED: Some people prefer this type of camping to sweating in 100F temps during July/August... To each his own
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Campground snow.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	31314  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-29-2020, 01:47 PM   #12
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Being the "devil's advocate" (in answering your question)... When LEAVING a cold area (going south) once you get clear of the ice/snow/salt you can stop at any "tall car wash bay" and spend a couple bucks pressure washing the underside of the trailer.

The "problem" is in towing locally or in returning home after spending some time in the south.... Once you return to the ice/snow/salt, even if you can find a car wash, you've still got to tow through ice/snow/salt to get the trailer to storage.... Washing it "in the driveway" is not possible, unless you want a skating rink several inches thick to drive over the rest of the winter.....

So, some trailer owners who want to use their trailer for a hunting trip, a skiing trip or even as a weekend getaway, simply don't have the luxury of saying, "I'm done for the season"... They prefer to say, "One more trip next weekend? Hey, let's make it two more trips."

Protecting their investment isn't as easy as your method... They can't put it in storage until spring and still do what they want with their investment....

The one reason we don't tow south in December on ice/snow/salt is because we would then need to tow north in January or February on ice/snow/salt... So we wait to head south in February or March and don't come back until I can wash the trailer in the driveway in April.... YMMV

ADDED: Some people prefer this type of camping to sweating in 100F temps during July/August... To each his own
Thanks for reminding me that I need to look at the weather closely for next 10 days when planning to leave on a trip. I know that isn’t always possible and not very accurate.
I’ve been planning a trip but it would not be pleasant to be driving back north into a snow or ice condition. May have been nice the day I left going south but I need to look at the big picture and be willing to call off trip if return weather looks bleek
I need a good weather window for entire trip
jasin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 02:33 PM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

For anyone reading this thread and contemplating winter camping a word of advice. If you have never driven in snow/ice covered roads or have never towed in same, your first camping trip out in it would not be the ideal time to learn. Being inexperienced coupled with urgency to either get to a destination or get home is a recipe for disaster. If at all possible, make your first experience close to home and with an experienced driver that's willing to go along and coach.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 06:22 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

To add to Marshall's "sage and timely advice", having driven in ice/snow for well over 50 years, I hesitate to tow our Cougar, or any other trailer, in icy conditions. Having that much weight behind a tow vehicle is a recipe to find out just how badly things can go wrong in a hurry. One deer, one pothole, one stoplight changing to yellow when you're almost there, but can't stop and don't have time to make it through the light, then add that extra 30' that also has to clear the intersection before cross traffic meets trailer mid flank.... Not a recipe for good, safe travel....

I enjoy "escaping the snow and cold" as much as anyone else, but when I plan our "trip south" every winter, I look at the weather for the entire trip, from front doorstep to destination. If there's ANY (did I mention any?) doubt that the roads will be clear, dry and the weather will be sunny with no snow, rain, sleet or high winds predicted. If there's a chance of "running into snow/ice packed roads, I won't even consider leaving home. The last thing I want to do is run up on a patch of black ice with an 18 wheeler passing on the left and an acceleration ramp filled with merging cars while my entire rig starts slipping and the steering wheel/front tires appear to have been disconnected.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-30-2020, 07:35 AM   #15
levic900rr

Another tip for Fluid film use is if you own a compressor get one of these kits: https://www.amazon.com/Fluid-Film-Co...9342494&sr=8-3

I love mine, its super easy to apply and 1 GAL last a long time. I do both my car and truck, RV frame, lawn tractor (cause I use it to snoblow) etc...
levic900rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:09 AM   #16
Hugo-H

for sure it is worth the money... my car E350 had it done when new, now 24 yrs later, and is still rust free.. I will do my TT the same this spring...
Old 01-03-2021, 09:27 AM   #17
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
...,is this something worth doing either by myself or have someone put it on for me?
Any protection you can do for your camper is worth it. The question is, how much are you willing to pay for it and how much effort are you willing to put in to make "it" happen?

My Keystone Springdale sat on the dealers lot for almost a year before we came along and purchased it. I didn't bother to look under the trailer until we actually got it home. I was really shocked at how rusted up it was.

I ended up painting, with both brush on and spray, Rust-o-lium black professional oil based paint. This paint actually penetrates the rust, seals it so it doesn't rust any more and covers the metal with a protection to prevent future rusting.

It actually took 2 years to finally get everything under the camper as I kept finding more and more spots I missed. Where a brush wouldn't reach, I sprayed. A year later, the spots I missed were quite obvious. After touching up the second year, I never saw rust again and we had that trailer for another 6 years, traveling on icy, snowy, salt covered Indiana, Ohio, Illinois roads every winter.

So yes, anything you can do to inhibit the growth of rust is a "plus" on your camper.

The three things you need to consider, and only you can answer these.

1) Is the cost worth it to me.
2) Is the time and effort it takes to do it worth it to me.
3) How long will I own this camper after I do the undercoating? If I own the camper for only 1 more year, is it REALLY worth it to go through the expense and time to do it and then sell the camper so quick? Or am I planning on keeping this camper for the next 100 years! Only you can answer that.
Old 01-03-2021, 03:55 PM   #18
Rblair6531

JRTJH

Does the Fluid Film dry like a paint or does it stay tacky and attract dirt.
Rblair6531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 04:47 PM   #19
RK1978

One use for spray-on undercoating is stone protection. I live on a gravel road, so every trip means several miles of gravel, and even driving slowly stones get picked up and thrown off the tires. That stuff is a nice cushion. I don't know how it is on rust, we have only taken one winter vacation and had dry roads in both directions, no visible rust yet on a 12 year old trailer.
PR
RK1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 05:28 PM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rblair6531 View Post
JRTJH

Does the Fluid Film dry like a paint or does it stay tacky and attract dirt.
It goes on "wet and oily" and will attract dirt/dust for the first couple of days. After it dries, it's doesn't attract dirt. We live on a dirt/gravel road and it's not a problem after the first couple of days.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS