Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2020, 04:03 PM   #1
tcmiller

Passport bedroom gets really warm

We have a 2020 Passport 2900RL and have noticed the storage cabinets above the bed and the closets on each side of the bed get so warm inside on a sunny day that we can’t store anything inside of them other than clothing.....toiletries, etc would get too warm and be ruined. We’re pretty sure it’s because the big black plate that covers the front of the trailer is drawing heat in.
Anybody have any suggestions on how to deal with it?
tcmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 04:28 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

You'll probably find the same situation (in reverse) if you camp in cold temperatures. There is precious little insulation in any trailer with 2" thick walls, so any "closed cupboard, closet or cabinet" is going to be affected by the exterior temperatures. In the summer, they'll be warm to hot and in the winter they'll be cool to cold... About the only thing I'd suggest is leaving the cabinet doors open so that cabin air can move through them. That will help a little, but what you're experiencing is a limitation of thin walls, poor insulating capacity and warm outside temperatures.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 05:01 PM   #3
LHaven

I once had a stickbuilt home designed for energy efficiency -- all the closets were on outdoor walls, so that your clothes contributed to the insulation factor. Kind of hard to make this work in an RV if it makes you have to store your clothes in the kitchen and your food in the bedroom.
Old 10-20-2020, 05:09 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

I wonder if something this might help:

https://www.amazon.com/Thermo-Tec-13...96689151&psc=1

I remember a line of smaller trailers that had the fridge under the counter. When it was operating, you could almost bake bread. I lined area with that stuff and lowered the temp enough that you could put your palm on the counter.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 04:40 PM   #5
Sarge2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcmiller View Post
We have a 2020 Passport 2900RL and have noticed the storage cabinets above the bed and the closets on each side of the bed get so warm inside on a sunny day that we can’t store anything inside of them other than clothing.....toiletries, etc would get too warm and be ruined. We’re pretty sure it’s because the big black plate that covers the front of the trailer is drawing heat in.
Anybody have any suggestions on how to deal with it?
I have a 2020 Passport 2600BH with that same big black facia, and I haven't noticed any really high temps in the cabinets above the front bed... However, I have not used the trailer in higher temps 80 and above without using the AC... I do not keep the storage doors open either... secondly, 99% of what we store there is clothes and other non "melting" type items..... In your case, I think lining the inner sections with that heat barrier might be the ticket although I'm not sure I'd like the look much... jmho
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, bedroom, bedroom gets too warm, hot storage area, passport