Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2020, 03:13 PM   #1
janders

Mattress opinions?

We will be picking up our new 292BH in a couple weeks. Does anyone have any thoughts about the mattresses in these things? It’s part of the Passport SL line of trailers. I know it’s obviously personal preference, but I didn’t know if they were generally considered adequate or garbage. I’m just wondering if I need to stop by a mattress store to replace it since we don’t have any where we live. Thanks for your thoughts!
janders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 03:18 PM   #2
KimNTerry

First mod for our trailer (after our first outing) was to remove the mattress and replace with a new relatively inexpensive one from the mattress store. We have since added a memory foam topper to that.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 03:20 PM   #3
DocP

The mattresses that came with most of my new campers over the years were very flimsy, and I immediately either upgraded to a better one, or put a memory foam mattress topper on top of it.

Before you go out an buy a new one, I'd advise you to carefully measure the one(s) that come with your new camper - the sizes of what the RV manufacturers call a "Queen" or "King" do not line up with the sizes you buy for your home.
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 03:27 PM   #4
KimNTerry

part of the reason for the upgrade. The "Queen" mattress was a "Short Queen" for RVs, I'm 6'2" and my feet hung off the end. That and it was miserably uncomfortable.
It hangs over the platform slightly but it does fit and we can get around the bed.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 05:06 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Number 1, know the size of the mattress - exactly. Measure it so you know what you are dealing with. Our first few trailers we dealt with the OE or bought "add ons"; toppers etc. That just didn't work out. The longer we stayed in the trailer the more we wanted a nice mattress.

Last 2 new trailers we opted for mattresses that were residential size. One had the "upgraded", top of the line, residential mattress. Lasted 2 outings. This trailer mattress was upgraded with a true residential, pocket coiled mattress before it left the lot. Same with the last.

When we were used to camping in a tent or popup the 1st RV mattress seemed like a nice upgrade and I used it for 2 years...dealing with the soreness etc. when waking up. After a while we got tired of that as well. The mattress had a cut corner and replacements were hard to find. No longer.....and no more inability to move in the AM.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 06:41 PM   #6
janders

Thanks, everyone. It is listed as a proper 60x80 full queen. I guess I’ll have to measure and probably just try it and see. I appreciate all the input. Excited to join the Keystone crew!
Old 09-05-2020, 02:11 AM   #7
BrooksFam

We have had a sleep number mattress and currently have a Tuft and Needle foam mattress. Both are great.
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 04:40 AM   #8
notanlines

Very, very few RV's come with acceptable sleep ware. Keeping in mind that you and SO are going to spend a third, maybe more , of your life on this mattress, wouldn't it be prudent to drop a few extra dollars and make that time pleasurable? For some 'a few extra dollars' might be $400 and others $1500, but one thing's sure: Forest River didn't spend any more than they had to when furnishing our Salem's mattress. DW and I wouldn't think of spending one night on it. We have a nice Serta in our spare bedroom and the one in the Salem will go to the dump.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 07:38 AM   #9
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by janders View Post
Thanks, everyone. It is listed as a proper 60x80 full queen. I guess I’ll have to measure and probably just try it and see. I appreciate all the input. Excited to join the Keystone crew!

Our camper came with the original 2002 Keystone supplied mattress and I had the seller take it out and do whatever they wanted with it. The original was an RV queen and I put in a full queen that is identical to the pillow top in our home. It is about a foot thicker and a foot longer than the RV mattress and I ended up sliding a 4' sheet of plywood that was the correct width under the end so it didn't sag when we slid off the end. It made it difficult for us to get around the bed in our low rise 5th wheel. No regrets and the mattress sleeps great. The plywood extension can't be felt and we can no longer lift the bed for storage and couldn't even without the plywood as the mattress is too heavy to mess with. I have never found under bed storage all that handy anyway but did use it to store bottled water, canned pop cases, etc, when I lived in a 24' pull trailer for awhile.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 08:52 AM   #10
EagleandFox

The bed in our 299RLDS is a full queen and we put our Englander memory foam mattress from our bedroom in it after getting the same mattress new for our home. The only thing we didn’t take into account was the curve of the front wall and the height of the mattress. The mattress is thicker than a regular one and the curve of the wall pushes it out over the end a bit so I have to scootch between it and the closet to get to my side. Width-wise it’s perfect. Not a huge deal for us because we love the mattress!

2017 Hideout 299RLDS 5th Wheel
EagleandFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 12:27 PM   #11
dutchmensport

May I make a suggestion to you? Do not go "gah-gah" about buying a new mattress UNTIL you have given the factory installed one a chance.

I'm on my 4th camper, plus a pop-up, and all 4 mattresses, plus the pop-up ones were originally "acceptable" for some time.

We swapped out our first travel trailer mattress for a Serta (full size) because it had a corner bed and every time we lifted the bed to access storage underneath, it tore and ripped it more and more. We replaced, not because it was uncomfortable, but because the original one shredded on the bottom.

Our second travel trailer lasted for 2 years. It was comfortable, but it had hard wire on the edge, all the way around. After a couple years, that hard wire became more and more anoying because I like to dangle my feet off the end of the bed. We replaced with a queen Serta.

Our third travel trailer (Outback) just wore out after a couple year. Originally, it wasn't uncomfortable, it just wore out. And lifting the bed to access storage wore the bottom. Again, we replaced with a Serta Queen.

Our 4th is a fifth wheel. The original mattress was actually very comfortable. It really was. But after 1 year, the covering over it, simply started wearing very, very thin. It was still very comfortable, but literally, just wearing out. We replaced it with a Helix (foam) 11 inch thick King. Yes, that one cost an arm and 2 legs, but it's absolutely great. It made all the former Serta's we had pale in comparison.

So, what I'm suggesting is, give the mattress a chance before arbitrarily swapping it out. More than likey you will eventually swap it out, and after sleeping on it one time, THAT may be more than enough. But, if you can "comfortably" use it for a year or two, who knows? A year from now, you may be ready to trade for a whole new and different trailer, and .... there goes the $$$ you spent on the new mattress which will add absoulty, absolutely no extra value to the trailer at time of resale.
Old 09-08-2020, 05:54 PM   #12
janders

Excellent point! Thank you!
Old 09-09-2020, 04:38 PM   #13
NH_Bulldog

Everyone is different, and everyone has a different idea of what the perfect mattress is. Otherwise, there would be one mattress in the world with no choices.

I would give the factory one a shot and if it isn’t good for your very individual and unique situation, there are any number of bed-in-a-box options that can be shipped right to your door.

We took the factory queen mattress, unzipped it and rearranged the three foam layers. It used to be 1” comfort layer, 4” support layer and then another 1” comfort layer. Now it is the 4” support layer on the bottom, and then two 1” comfort layers. Then we threw on a 3” gel infused memory foam topper and it is very comfortable for us (and I am not a small guy).
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:52 PM   #14
Huntme

give the Mattress that was in the trailer when you bought it to the Dog,if you dont have a dog,give it to someone else's Dog,because most of the Mattresses that come from the factory,are uncomfortable,and have no support.
Huntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:32 PM   #15
labman

What Huntme said! DW and i spent our first winter in AZ with the Keystone provided mattress and She suffered tremendously because of her back. Put a Leeza memory foam in for ~ $900 and slept like babies.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:18 AM   #16
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntme View Post
give the Mattress that was in the trailer when you bought it to the Dog,if you dont have a dog,give it to someone else's Dog,because most of the Mattresses that come from the factory,are uncomfortable,and have no support.
You're joking, right?

If I made my dogs sleep on it my wife wouldn't speak to me again

Wait. This might not be a bad idea.......

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 05:27 PM   #17
rustyfisher

We just bought a 267BH in the SL series. The mattress is way to firm for most people. We had an extra mattress topper, which has helped. I would recommend Plush beds for a mattress that doesn’t off gas much. We bought this brand just before we sold our old camper (bad timing) and loved it!
rustyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 01:00 PM   #18
Huntme

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcKenzie View Post
You're joking, right?

If I made my dogs sleep on it my wife wouldn't speak to me again

Wait. This might not be a bad idea.......

I think you are on to something there,the Boss not Nagging at me would be a change.
He He He.
Huntme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mattress