Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2020, 07:42 AM   #21
mj5150

One of the first things my wife wanted to do was upgrade the mattress when we bought our new Raptor. We're full timers.
I resisted believing it was just something she read about others doing online and now wanted one too.
I'm also a big guy, but can sleep just about anywhere, so it didn't bother me. It finally got to me too, so we upgraded to a real mattress from Sealy. It's not an RV mattress, so it hangs over the edge a few inches.
That's ok, the additional comfort is worth it.
We don't have room for the box spring or base they recommended and since our bed is adjustable, we couldn't user it anyway. I'm sure it would be even more comfy not sitting on plywood.
My opinion may be different from others since we're full timers, but this is something I recommend new RV'ers do first, upgrade the mattress.

-Mike
mj5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:39 AM   #22
neveser

We replaced our mattress a year after getting our new Bullet. Woke up sore with shoulder aches, neck problems... etc. I really wanted a good night's sleep after hiking all day. We went to Amazon and bought a 9 inch foam mattress for around $200. Totally worth it. I sleep so well now. In fact, I might actually be a bit more comfortable sleeping in the camper vs my bed at home!

2014 19FBPR Bullet Premier
2004 Toyota 4Runner V8 4x4
neveser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:03 AM   #23
SC GT Yellow Jacket

Bite the Bullet - Buy New Mattress

We bought a new 2020 Cougar 29RLD with "King" mattress. Lasted 7 nights. Ordered a new mattress from MatressInsider.com. Got great service with a custom sized mattress at a reasonable price. You will not be disappointed. I get nothing for this tip. I could send you a link to use to get something for it but I won't

We bought a memory foam mattress but they make all kinds. Very trustworthy company.
ToGo Roadlink C2
SC GT Yellow Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:12 AM   #24
BadmanRick

We had the same problem. So I purchased a Travel Happy (Custom Size Request) with A 8 INCH Short Queen New Cooler Sleep Graphite Gel Memory Foam Mattress with Premium Textured 8-Way Stretch Cover for Campers, RV's and Trailers From Amazon.com. Best mattress we have had.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:22 AM   #25
InkedMarie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC GT Yellow Jacket View Post
We bought a new 2020 Cougar 29RLD with "King" mattress. Lasted 7 nights. Ordered a new mattress from MatressInsider.com. Got great service with a custom sized mattress at a reasonable price. You will not be disappointed. I get nothing for this tip. I could send you a link to use to get something for it but I won't

We bought a memory foam mattress but they make all kinds. Very trustworthy company.
We got our queen from Mattress Insider as well. Ordered last Wednesday, from the campground lol and it was here on Monday!

Great service & very helpful. My husband is 250lb and he recommended the correct mattress.

2021 Keystone Cougar Half Ton 32 rli
InkedMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 01:36 PM   #26
poelma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbouch84 View Post
So are you saying new mattress or get a foam topper?? And where is a good place to get a mattress if thats the choice
New matress, try Dynasty. They have RV sizes. We bought a short king for our 2019 Cougar. Bought it direct online. Amazon also carries them but was actually cheaper with free shipping and free pillows from Dynasty.
poelma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 02:31 PM   #27
dutchmensport

In a previous travel trailer we tried to use the factory provided mattress and after a few months we hated it. We ended up getting a mattress topper from Bed Bath and Beyond. Although it helped make sleeping a bit more comfortable, there was still the shoddy factory mattress under it. And the topper constantly slid around and was an absolute pain in the neck to deal with. Especially since the bed lifted up for storage under it. Lifting up the storage lid, lifted up the matters also, and that caused the topper to slide around too. The whole thing was just an aggravating pain.

We ended up getting a Serta and quit counting sheep! We had Serta's in our house and it was a good choice for the trailer too.

Then we got the second trailer and we kept the Serta and put it on the bed immediately. We put the shoddy matters from the new camper into the old camper we traded and kept our Serta in the new camper. And we used the Serta for another 8 years in that camper.

Then we traded again, and did the same thing. So, that same mattress lived through 3 different travel trailers. Then we decided in in the 3rd trailer to get rid of the full size and we swapped that Serta for a Queen Serta. When we traded for our current fifth wheel, we let the Queen Serta go with the camper as we had no replacement.

It turned out, the factory mattress that came with our Montana High Country has been pretty comfortable. But, after a year and half (and we sleep on it every night, even at home), we've noticed when changing sheets, the fabric is wearing very, very thin and looking awful. No springs have popped through yet, but probably before this Summer is over, we'll have a new Serta --- King!

Don't mess around with toppers. Just bite the bullet and get a new mattress. I'm not recommending Serta. We picked Serta and love them. But, whatever YOU are using in your house, whatever brand you have, you can use it in your camper too and be comfortable.
Old 05-08-2020, 10:47 AM   #28
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbouch84 View Post
So earlier this year in febuary we bout a new 2020 bullet. Which we love. And currently i get the joys of quarantining in it due to this dang virus.. The mattress Sucks i already have a divot in it and seems like there is no padding what so ever. Does anyone have any tils or tricks to make the mattress more comfy.. please help
The first upgrade to most RV's is a new mattress.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 04:28 PM   #29
steve james

Hey 84 we too bought a cougar 22rsb with a king size mattress and it was awful, Glad i'm not the only one that thought that. We used ours once for a week got home and bought a king memory foam from camping world, I also installed two metal struts in the forward trunk area to help support the OSB plywood ( post pics if you want ) I think Keystone gets their mattress's from the used hotel furniture outlet store . What a way to save money huh ? whats funny we cant even give our old ( new one ) away .
steve james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 10:58 AM   #30
Huntme

I have the same,it is comfortable.
the foam one from Costco.
Huntme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bullet, mattress