Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2019, 10:21 AM   #21
larryflew

Just for info it isn't Walmart it's the city they are in that restricts overnight RVs.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:38 AM   #22
The Old Fogies

We have stayed at the Kentucky House Park a few times. It's close to three interstate.
The Old Fogies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:51 AM   #23
LewisB

I agree with all the comments associated with kids and safety. Additionally, part of the decision (roadside "glamp" vs. RV Park) needs to include the weather conditions as well as all of the hidden costs of glamping. We did this for years, staying in truck stops, rest areas, Walmarts, etc. But we also travel primarily in the SW states (Arizona, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, etc.).

At some point, I realised our 5500W generator uses 1/2 to 1 gallon of fuel an hour depending on load. So sitting in a "free" parking spot like a truck stop and running the generator for 8 hours = (say) 6 gallons of gas X $4/gallon = $24 a night + wear & tear on the equipment. It wasn't always just because it was hot; sometimes the DW wanted to run the AC just to create white noise to drown out all the truck traffic where we were parked. Sort of makes spending $30-35 a night for an RV park with electrical hookups a lot more reasonable.

Also, there is a lot to be said for the peace of mind associated with being in an RV park, knowing you are not going to get blocked in by angry truckers. Then there could be some security issues that reduce the risk of intrusion in an RV park rather than when out in the general public...

We have almost completely made the switch - our preference now seems to be to find an RV park where we can get off the road, into a more controlled environment. For these stays, we don't need the most attractive place - who cares if it is just a dirt lot - we'll be staying inside the RV for the few hours we will be parked anyway and gone at sunrise.

Just sayin'...
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:59 AM   #24
Local150

I don't remember exact name but stayed at a nice koa near there
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:12 PM   #25
RAC

Places to stay

We are in southeast Michigan and when making our trip to Florida in January, we always stay at the Mount Vernon, Renfro Valley RV Park over night. The 50 amp sites are level and plenty long enough that you won't have to unhitch. It's close to I-75 and there is food and gas at the exit.
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:16 PM   #26
Local150

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdegelow View Post
Your first 2 questions seem to have been answered. So, this is directed to your last question. I would highly recommend the Kentucky Horse Park Campground. It is a beautiful campground with nice, large sites & lots of shade. You may like it so well you'll want to stay more than one night. It has easy access from I75.
That is a nice place
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:21 PM   #27
GordieGaffer

don't forget to check if they are open spring break can be cold and some campgrounds going south have not opened yet good luck and enjoy the ride
GordieGaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:48 PM   #28
LV_Tom

Where I live, overnighting in Cracker Barrels, Walmart Lots is not allowed. They area campgrounds have complained that they must charge and pay a a Transient Occupancy tax to the local government and WalMart doesn't. Also some jerks have dropped their Black water tanks in the parking lot leaving it covered with "Brown Fish", causing a health issue.
LV_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:34 PM   #29
johnlewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchhand View Post
Next year for spring break the wife and I are going to take the fifth wheel and are two girls that are 9 and 7 to Gatlinburg. We will be starting in southwest Michigan. According to mapquest it is about a 10 hour drive and I am guessing with two little girls it will probably turn into a 11 or 12 hour drive. Not really sure I want to do that drive in one day and show up at the campground at 8 at night. So I was thinking about finding a campground around Lexington Kentucky for a afternoon/evening.

Question 1 Do most campgrounds offer just a one night stay or will they want you to stay more then one night.

Question 2 If I get a pull through site will the sites be big enough to leave the truck hooked up for the night. (Camper is a 38 foot fifth wheel) Not a big deal if I can't it would just save a step in setting up and tearing down.

Question 3 Anyone have any recomendations for a campground around the Lexington area.
1. Most campgrounds will let you stay for 1 night. Usually it is only campgrounds in highly popular areas that require more than 1 night.
2. Check out http://www.campgroundreviews.com/. The campsite listings tell you if there are pull through sites available. The reviews for the campsite will tell you if a pull through site is long enough to stay hooked up.
3. Use campground reviews to find the best places in the area you want to stay in. We have stayed at the Kentucky Horse Park Campground north of Lexington. It is a really nice campground, but there are no pull through sites. Check other campgrounds in the vicinity using campgroundreviews.com, and you will be able to find a place to stay with pull through sites.

Have a great trip!
johnlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:40 PM   #30
Hblick48

I use RV Parky, Allstays, and Passport America (we are members). Passport America first because of the savings. RV Parky is the easiest to use. Not all parks show up in Allstays or RV Parky, so using both gets best results.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 03:42 PM   #31
TJTx

I agree with most of the previous posts. The DW and I always stay in a camp ground. I know some people stay in store parking lots to save money, however (at least for me), I prefer to get a sound good nights sleep and hit the road refreshed and not sleep with one eye open holding my travelers insurance (.357 Mag) next to me. The DW and I were doing some research for a trip to the Ark Encounter next year and came across Whispering Hills RV Park in Georgetown KY just outside of Lexington. Check it out.
TJTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 05:32 PM   #32
bubbubouy

As was mentioned previously, Kentucky Horse Park Campground in Lexington is large, easy to get in and out of, and safe. I don’t remember any pull through sites, you would have to inquire.

Here is the link

https://kyhorsepark.com/visit-khp/pa...hp-campground/
Old 07-18-2019, 10:00 PM   #33
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJTx View Post
I agree with most of the previous posts. The DW and I always stay in a camp ground. I know some people stay in store parking lots to save money, however (at least for me), I prefer to get a sound good nights sleep and hit the road refreshed and not sleep with one eye open holding my travelers insurance (.357 Mag) next to me. The DW and I were doing some research for a trip to the Ark Encounter next year and came across Whispering Hills RV Park in Georgetown KY just outside of Lexington. Check it out.
We stayed at Whispering Hills last fall. It is a nice park, gravel roads are a bit dusty and some of the sites on the rows closest to the pond are not level front to back. We had to extend our landing gear fully and just barely were able to get level. It's quiet, out of the way and relatively close (about 25 miles)

When you turn onto Roger's Gap Road from Cincinnati Road, you'll cross under the interstate. As you start down Roger's Gap Road, you'll wonder if you're lost or if you'll find a place to turn around. Keep the faith, the campground really is "down that narrow and winding road".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:53 PM   #34
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdegelow View Post
I would highly recommend the Kentucky Horse Park Campground. It is a beautiful campground with nice, large sites & lots of shade. You may like it so well you'll want to stay more than one night. It has easy access from I75.
It surely is that. (Aside from a weird reservation system that doesn't do same-day reservations.) It's shady, and right now the weather is perfect. We're staying two days to take a day of rest from the road. The DW is considering a bourbon-tasting tour.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:54 AM   #35
gearhead

I would highly recommend Woodford Reserve distillery. Beautiful grounds, great tour, and an educational tasting experience.
Makers Mark is great as well.
Jim Beam has, or did have, a pretty good BBQ "stand" outside the barrel house. The CEO Fred Noe was wandering around when we there. I'm pretty sure he had a generous sample of the product before lunch.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:22 AM   #36
LHaven

Ha ha! Booked a Woodford tour last night, because they were the only one open Mondays!