Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2019, 02:53 AM   #1
Jmayse

Shower Water Pressure

Just today, I noticed my shower water pressure was noticeby lower. When I got out of the shower I checked the pressure of the bathroom sink and kitchen sink, all normal.

Any ideas on what is causing this. I have a 2018 Avalanche. So 5 Wheel is brand knew.

Thanks,

Jason.
Jmayse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 03:14 AM   #2
DocP

Did you check the inlet screen on the showerhead for debris? You said that "Just today, I noticed my shower water pressure was noticeby lower" - this implies that the water pressure was better in the past, so I would suspect that there is some obstruction in the screen going up to the head. How about the other faucets - has the water pressure reduced at those as well?
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 05:04 AM   #3
Jmayse

Yes the other faucets are fine. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check that screen tonight.

J
Jmayse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:39 AM   #4
Lee

Hi,

I had the same thing happen to me except it was the water to the toilet flusher. Took supply line off and the filter screen was full of a fine sand like material..... Cleaned it out and back in action.

It did get me to thinking though,..... Where did the sand come from...????... I only use the TT as a Boondocker,.... Never been on city water.

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:08 PM   #5
MarkEHansen

How do you fill your fresh water tank? From a city water spigot?
Old 01-30-2019, 02:37 AM   #6
RCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Hi,

I had the same thing happen to me except it was the water to the toilet flusher. Took supply line off and the filter screen was full of a fine sand like material..... Cleaned it out and back in action.

It did get me to thinking though,..... Where did the sand come from...????... I only use the TT as a Boondocker,.... Never been on city water.
I believe the debris you found would be from your anode rod in your water heater. When the water heater warms up, the water expands and some of it is pushed back into the cold water side along with the debris in the water tank.
RCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 07:18 AM   #7
Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
How do you fill your fresh water tank? From a city water spigot?
Hi...... I fill the FWT from the water spigot. The reason I brought it up is,.... If there was sediment in the water system i can see it clogging the screen when hooked up to city water.... But I only use the fresh water tank. I would think any sediment in city water would settle to the bottom of the tank when filling from spigot and not be transported to the plumbing.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:20 AM   #8
Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCW View Post
I believe the debris you found would be from your anode rod in your water heater. When the water heater warms up, the water expands and some of it is pushed back into the cold water side along with the debris in the water tank.
Ah ha! Bet you are right. Thanks.... I didn't think about that.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:21 AM   #9
MarkEHansen

I see. The water system in the trailer does pull from the bottom of the fresh water tank.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:38 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Hi...... I fill the FWT from the water spigot. The reason I brought it up is,.... If there was sediment in the water system i can see it clogging the screen when hooked up to city water.... But I only use the fresh water tank. I would think any sediment in city water would settle to the bottom of the tank when filling from spigot and not be transported to the plumbing.
You might consider that the water pickup point for the RV water pump sucks water from the lowest point on the tank, so when you fill with city water from the water spigot, all the debris settles to the bottom of your fresh water tank, likely right next to where the water pump sucks water into the pump. To my knowledge, there is no "pickup screen" inside the fresh water tank, so anything that's in the tank, settled on the bottom is "vacuumed into the pump" and delivered to the faucets where the screens can get clogged by that sediment.

If you look at the photo, you'll see where the pickup is located, "right at the lowest point on the tank". It's the white hose with the blue stripe located on the "bottom bulge" of the tank.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water tank photo.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	20071  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:02 AM   #11
Lee

Hi,

Where ever the sediment is coming from hopefully will not be an issue anymore as I have installed a filter on the input side of my water pump.

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Old 01-31-2019, 12:12 PM   #12
Bisjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
You might consider that the water pickup point for the RV water pump sucks water from the lowest point on the tank, so when you fill with city water from the water spigot, all the debris settles to the bottom of your fresh water tank, likely right next to where the water pump sucks water into the pump. To my knowledge, there is no "pickup screen" inside the fresh water tank, so anything that's in the tank, settled on the bottom is "vacuumed into the pump" and delivered to the faucets where the screens can get clogged by that sediment.

If you look at the photo, you'll see where the pickup is located, "right at the lowest point on the tank". It's the white hose with the blue stripe located on the "bottom bulge" of the tank.....
From that picture I would think it a good idea to periodically open the low point drain and let some water out, hopefully some debris with it.

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:25 PM   #13
Jweems

I had the same issue when I took my shower this am. I brushed it off, because our neighbor camper and ours share the same well water/pump and when we both use it the pressure is lower. However, based on this discussion I thought I should check for a stopped up screen.I found that there are no screens on the shower hose from the tub faucet to the shower head. However, what I did find was that the hose was faulty and leaking from under the faucet diverter. I did have a spare hose, and replaced the faulty one and problem fixed. So indirectly, thanks to this discussion I was able t o fix my issue as well.
These forums can/are really helpful. Thanks to all who contribute. Keep it up, you never know when your issue will help one of your fellow RV'ers.
Doc
Full timing since 2010.
Jweems is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pressure