Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2011, 07:21 PM   #1
wyobulldog

Anybody tow a trailer behind TT?

Just as the title says, does anybody tow a trailer such as an ATV trailer or boat or jet ski behind their travel trailer? I have been thinking about doing this with my boat. I have a 2010 Springdale 266rlss, and want to tow my 1984 BAJA 16ft boat behind it. I know I will need to add a frame mounted hitch to the TT which isn't a problem. Just really want to know what it may tow like. I have a 10k WD hitch on the TT and tow it with a 1997 F-350 4x4 SRW Powerstroke. So what are the pro's and con's of my idea? Any info you guys have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-14-2011, 07:46 PM   #2
CarKath

I know it is not legal locally to do this. You best check state laws before you get to carried away with hooking up. In my region you can do this if you are pulling a fifth wheel trailer as the lead trailer. But, there are also length restrictions.
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:22 PM   #3
wyobulldog

Wyoming is pretty laid back about it. They don't care what kind of trailers are hooked together as long as there are only two of them.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:47 AM   #4
campingcpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyobulldog View Post
Wyoming is pretty laid back about it. They don't care what kind of trailers are hooked together as long as there are only two of them.
According to Wyoming State Law (31-18-802) the lengths are as follows (the sheets I have are a little old but should probably be still pretty close to the same as today), Motorhome 60' vehicle, Travel Trailer 60' vehicle, Fifthwheel 60' vehicle, RV combination length 85', Number in RV combination length 3. I have a listing for all the states and some of them have specific restrictions on the lengths. So what might be legal in your state might not be in a neighboring state. Like for my state of Indiana, we are limited to a 40' vehicle across the board and a combined length of 65' and up to a combination of 3. Side notes: Excludes devices related to safe and efficient operation of vehicle. So if I was you I would definitely check the laws for the area you are planing on towing in.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:21 AM   #5
KanTC

Double towing, any 2 trailers [or Triple Towing, if you will] is legal in Wyoming. There are weight limits & stopping requirements
for towing a 2nd trailer without brakes. Also check your Dr Lic requirements, depending on total GVWR. Good info on the links below.

If you plan to tow outside of WY, (as others have said) be aware of their various restrictions/laws, including that some require
the first trailer to be a 5th wheel. See #43 below, from this site: http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

Footnote # 43. With certain qualifications. Only with fifth-wheel trailer in Arizona, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota,
Manitoba (maximum length 23m.) and Saskatchewan.

http://www.brakebuddy.com/Towing-Laws

http://www.readybrake.com/state_laws.html

Legalities aside -- here's some food for thought in reference to your questions.
Logically, there's going to be greater potential for (rear) trailer sway... especially with passing traffic or cross-winds.
Will the weight of the 2nd trailer affect (lessen) the tongue weight of your TT??... which could also affect towing.
Will the weight of 2nd trailer put you at (or over) the Springdale's GVWR and/or the axle ratings??

Hopefully other members with your same trailer can offer more info.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot & DH Kevin
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:27 AM   #6
wyobulldog

Thanks for all the info guys!
So here are some numbers I have on everything, I am not too good with the math so maybe one of you guys can help.

Truck GVWR= 9200lbs
Camper GVWR= 7675lbs
Camper cargo capacity with full water tank= 987lbs
Camper axle rating= 3500lbs each
Boat weight= 1100lbs? Dry weight is 845lbs.

I don't know the actual tounge weight of the boat but I pick it up and move it anywhere with one hand. I am good on the total length at 69ft. But as others have stated I don't want to go over on the weight I will putting on the camper. I don't carry a lot of stuff in the camper either just the basics like clothes, food and general items like small tool box and pots and pans. All the coolers and generator and large stuff are in the bed of the truck.

Thanks again for all your help!