Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2011, 09:23 AM   #1
fhayden

Changed Batteries now having problems.

I replaced two 12 volt batteries in my 2002 Keystone Sprinter 5th wheel. Now when I try and retract my fron legs it extends them and when I try to extend them it retracts. Tied pos to pos and neg to neg but I also noticed that one pos cable went to the case ground of the camper that can't be right? right? also my DC area in breaker box is dead. Any help would be great.

Thanks
FH
fhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
Terrydactile

Sounds to me like you hooked your batteries up backwards. You've got reverse polarity.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:21 AM   #3
Paddler

Hi FHayden,
Sounds like you reversed the polarity of the batteries when you hooked them up. Trailer ground should be connected to the negative terminal of both batteries and the positive battery terminals should be connected to the Red cable going into the trailer. Once you switch the wires around your 12V converter should work ok, they are suppose to be reverse polarity protected, however you may have tripped a breaker or blown a fuse in the converter.
Hope this helps,
Old 08-04-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
Flyguy

Standard RV wiring color code is "Black = Positive and White = Ground", if you wired it backwards the reverse protection fuses in the power converter are toast and will have done their job protecting the unit! Wire it correctly and replace the fuses (2-40amp I think).
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:28 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Flyguy is 100% correct. White is NEG and Black is POS. Just like your house wiring. The converter has two 40 Amp fuses just to the left of the 12 volt fuse strip. You may have to remove the front cover to replace them. It's got 2 phillips screws holding it in place. UNPLUG the trailer before you remove the cover, you'll have exposed 110 volt wiring once the cover is removed.

When you change your battery polarity, don't forget, pos to pos, neg to neg. DON'T connect the batteries neg to pos.... That'll give you 24 volts and do more than just blow the 40 Amp fuses......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote