Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
therink

Love our fiver!

We just returned today from a two week trip in our Outback Sydney 329fbh. We went to Camp Chautauqua near Jamestown, NY. Nice place, but most vehicles including golf carts and CG service trucks speed at least the 10mph posted limit. That drives me crazy.

This is our second year in our new rig and gotta say we love it. The only problem we have had this year so far is one of the gas struts broke off of the queen bed under storage compartment. Easy fix.

It wasn't a far trip, but 150 miles each way and the towing was uneventful. Averaged 9.5 MPG at 65 with my Gasser, not bad.

Last season, we had a few kinks to work out, some warranty, some just mods. All in all, this one is a keeper.

The only beefs I still have is the single 13,500 BTU a/c does not cut it in 90+ temps in full sun. I'm 50amp and wired for second air. Maybe will add it someday. The other issue is the crappy queen mattress. I'm working on replacing that now.

Well, 4 more days to mess around at home and then back to work. Happy camping.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:33 AM   #2
mhs4771

Steve, agree about the mattress that Keystone uses. We replaced ours with a Sleep Number, nice, and makes lifting the bed platform must easier. Our unit came with a 15K AC in the LR and one of the first things we did was add a 13.5K in the BR. With both running will cool the unit easily, even in the temps we've had recently. We're just done I-390 from you just outside Dansville. Did you take I-86 to the CC? That one section is something else, just about knock the filling out of your teeth.

Continued happy travels,
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:05 AM   #3
therink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Steve, agree about the mattress that Keystone uses. We replaced ours with a Sleep Number, nice, and makes lifting the bed platform must easier. Our unit came with a 15K AC in the LR and one of the first things we did was add a 13.5K in the BR. With both running will cool the unit easily, even in the temps we've had recently. We're just done I-390 from you just outside Dansville. Did you take I-86 to the CC? That one section is something else, just about knock the filling out of your teeth.

Continued happy travels,
Did you camp in Dansville? We just stayed at Skybrook there a few weeks back. Didn't care much for it.
I avoid I-86 like the plague. I know what you mean, terrible road. We took NYS Thruway through Buff to Westfield then down to Chautauqua. Much better.
We have a Sleep Number at home and love it. I couldn't see forking out that kind of $ for the RV mattress though. I found a mattress online (rec in this forum) that we might get for under $400.
Steve

Old 07-29-2011, 01:46 PM   #4
mhs4771

Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
Did you camp in Dansville? We just stayed at Skybrook there a few weeks back. Didn't care much for it.
I avoid I-86 like the plague. I know what you mean, terrible road. We took NYS Thruway through Buff to Westfield then down to Chautauqua. Much better.
We have a Sleep Number at home and love it. I couldn't see forking out that kind of $ for the RV mattress though. I found a mattress online (rec in this forum) that we might get for under $400.
Steve
Have heard nothing but bad things about SkyBrook. If we camp near home it's in Letchworth. Nice park, but you need to know the sites, many will not fit an RV of any size and power runs from 15 amp service to 50 amp service at some sites. We have a list of sites we like. We will be wintering in our rig in Florida, so we wanted something good to sleep on and will probably end up with a Sleep Number at the stick house. Our problem going Southwest is that we either take 86 or go 40+ miles north to get to 90. Can't take 20A anymore because of the low overpass going into Warsaw. Safe travels
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:56 AM   #5
mikell

Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
The only beefs I still have is the single 13,500 BTU a/c does not cut it in 90+ temps in full sun. I'm 50amp and wired for second air. Maybe will add it someday. The other issue is the crappy queen mattress. I'm working on replacing that now.

Steve
Well it could be your Dometic control it doesn't change fan speed. We were very dissapointed with the Alpines air till I discovered it was on low all the time. The next day it was 107 head index and 70 indoors just as it was set.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:03 AM   #6
therink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikell View Post
Well it could be your Dometic control it doesn't change fan speed. We were very dissapointed with the Alpines air till I discovered it was on low all the time. The next day it was 107 head index and 70 indoors just as it was set.
Hi
The fan is on high speed. I installed an aftermarket digital thermostat and am using the high speed fan setting. It is just too much area for one 13.5 unit too handle in full sun. No biggie, we will just pick shade spots from now on.
Steve