Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2018, 11:15 AM   #1
K_N_L

Axle maintenance day

Today was axle inspection and maintenance day. We've had this toyhauler about 16 months and probably about 10K in mileage on it. The only issue axle related we ran into was a loose bearing dust cover last summer while traveling, it was rattling around enough to pop out the plastic plug on the chrome center cap else we might never have seen it.

Overall the brakes show to be better than 50%, and the rear side seals were good. I did find that on the left rear wheel, the magnetic brake leads were not attached properly with the clips to the (adjusting?) arm but just floating so that was missed at installation. The wires were good thankfully, that could have become a issue.

After cleaning and repacking the bearings, i would be very hesitate to just pump grease in via the fitting, it appears that it would just push grease right past the rear seal if you pump too much. Maybe a light pump to add fresh grease at most.

So not a exciting Saturday morning but a bit of peace of mind before our next trips.

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:35 PM   #2
Ken / Claudia

I have hand pumped many axles over many years on boat trailers and on this TT once. So far never blew a rear seal. Only takes a couple of pumps.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 01:30 PM   #3
Ddubya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
I have hand pumped many axles over many years on boat trailers and on this TT once. So far never blew a rear seal. Only takes a couple of pumps.
Be careful with these RV axles when pumping grease into them. They are not the same as the ones on boat trailers.

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:27 PM   #4
Wxman

Depends on the boat trailer. My current boat and RV are the same EZ lube system. Previous two boats were in fact different. Bearing buddies were notorious for throwing grease out the seal due to the pressure. The sure lube system was probably best as it didn't push grease back out the front but had a drilled exit at the rear that allowed for expansion/contraction when entering water. I never had any problems with the EZ lube or the Sure Lube. I was always very careful when adding grease, by hand, slowly, not when cold out, wheel off ground and turn slowly while pumping etc. YMMV.
2017 Silverado Z71 5.3L 3.42 gears(sold)
2021 Sierra 2500 4x4 CCSB SLT (gas)
E4 16k/1.6k hitch
Wxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:54 PM   #5
MarkS

If the seals don’t hold, you pump grease into the shoes and drum. $200 Plus labor to replace. Each wheel. Been there.

I don’t think a zerk fitting and electric brakes go together.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:46 AM   #6
ChuckS

Do the axle job once a year by removing drum and coannand inspect bearings races seals brakes etc. the EZ lube is a nice feature if it works properly. You must have wheel off the ground and
Slowly rotate while slowly pumping grease. Also if it’s cold out grease viscosity is thicker requiring more pressure to force grease thru those bearings. Weak link is rear seal.

I don’t use my EZ lube system because I wanna see what the brakes look like;, I lightly rough up th shoes with sand paper and blow out th area with compressed air. Bearings are cleaned inspected and hand packed. Doing it any other way is a huge gamble.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:32 AM   #7
rick-eureka

Question---How often, miles or days, do you lube the EZlube fittings. And how much.

Thanks, Rick
rick-eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:29 AM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-eureka View Post
Question---How often, miles or days, do you lube the EZlube fittings. And how much.

Thanks, Rick
NEVER! Annual inspection & hand packing!.
If I still had a boat trailer or utility trailer I'd still use the EZ lube, but NOT the rv.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:50 AM   #9
ChuckS

Axle maintenance day

EZ lube system is just wishful thinking.Takes at least 1/2 cartridge of lube to just fill the cavity up. And that weak link is the inner seal. Guess where all the blow by goes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00EB7F47-EB0C-44BB-9645-131EF864790E.jpeg
Views:	285
Size:	450.3 KB
ID:	17928  

Old 08-07-2018, 12:28 PM   #10
Danno

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
EZ lube system is just wishful thinking.Takes at least 1/2 cartridge of lube to just fill the cavity up. And that weak link is the inner seal. Guess where all the blow by goes.
Sorry sir but that's not at all true! The grease flow goes through the axle to the inner bearing, fills the hub, through the outer bearing and the old grease is forced out and around the nut and out the cap where the rubber plug came from...
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:37 PM   #11
ChuckS

Axle maintenance day

In theory the EZ lube diagram depicts what should happen. However, if he wheel is not jacked odd the ground and slowly rotated.... per Dexter instructions that’s issue #1.

Issue #2 is on colder days the viscosity of the grease is thicker, requiring more pressure to theoretically force grease back thru those bearings. This further stresses inner seal

Lastly ... where does all that old grease go and what is the condition of the races, bearings, brakes, etc?

You can’t possibly see it or know anything doing it per Dexter manual. Only way is to remove the drum, clean, remove old grease , inspect, regrease by putting a blob of grease in your palm and force bearing across your hand forcing fresh grease into those bearings.

Or ... a nice hand bearing packer but old school way will work like a champ.

You folks do what you desire. But my bearings and brakes will most likely give years of trouble free service.

Cause I know and saw what was there.

Cheers.

Old 08-07-2018, 12:58 PM   #12
Number 4

The "E-Z" method is tempting, but I'm planning on pulling everything apart and packing the bearings by hand. I did find the following items interesting (and have no plans to launch my trailer from a boat dock )...

From the dexteraxle.com web site...
"A trailer running gear lubrication system that's simple to maintain and completely submersible with no disassembly required. Ideal for most towable axles including boat trailer applications. Dexter's E-Z Lube, bearing lubrication made quick and easy."

And a comment from another forum thread...
"I spent my entire working life/career in the bearing business. Involved application, teaching proper handling, maintenance, lubrication, etc. .. As was mentioned, the only purpose for EZ lube type systems is to purge water intrusion. A hot wheel when immersed into cold water, like a boat trailer, will try to suck water into the hub. If the hub is full of grease, there's not room for water, but moisture can still penetrate. Occasional purging can expel that water/moisture. With Other wheel applications it's a waste of grease to fill that cavity. Grease is actually like a sponge. That sponge holds the oil in place that provides the lubrication to the bearing which is a very very fine film of oil between the rollers and raceway. The "sponge" holds extra oil for the lubrication. That sponge can also hold any contaminants. That's why it's very important to keep hands clean, rags, bearings, hub, spindle, etc. .. The smallest particle can start bearing failure. Sort of like a small scar in road pavement. Once it starts, as traffic rolls over that spot, it will increasingly grow until it fails. So, if you use the EZ lube system, you "may" purge any contaminants that were present, but you also may introduce contaminants via a dirty zerk fitting or grease gun tip. Besides, it's still a waste of grease as the amount of grease applied with hand packing is more than enough. Even with the EZ lube, annual inspection is still recommended, which is the best method."

Number 4: 2013 Hideout 19FLBWE
Number 3: 1994 Skyline Nomad 1661
Number 2: 1971 Santa Fe
Number 1: 1967 Shasta Airflyte
2015 F-250 Lariat 6.2L CC 4x4 3.73
Number 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:25 PM   #13
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Sorry sir but that's not at all true! The grease flow goes through the axle to the inner bearing, fills the hub, through the outer bearing and the old grease is forced out and around the nut and out the cap where the rubber plug came from...
...the rest goes out the rear seal contaminating the brakes.
Personally I won't use the Ez Lube.
If you have good luck with them please by all means keep it up. But if you do so be sure to pull all the hubs annually to inspect the brakes & seals.
Replacement undetermined
Old 08-07-2018, 07:28 PM   #14
MarkS

Even if the EZ Lube works perfectly, you will not know if the brake shoes are good, if the hub is worn, if the import bearings are pitted, if the magnet is worn...

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:13 AM   #15
tomd

Curious to know, why do truck wheel bearings go for thousands of miles, but RV packed yearly?

Boats trailers need to be maintained due to water exposure, buy my truck/trailer are only on highway. Any explanation out there?
Old 08-12-2018, 08:00 AM   #16
cavediver

Trucks and cars have a different type of bearing. Back in the olden days you used to have to do the same thing to truck and car wheel bearings. They don't make cars like they used to thank God.

Jack
cavediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:11 AM   #17
Hblick48

Whenever I first got our rig, I saw the grease fittings and went to town using 3 to 4 grease cartridges filling up my hubs. Didn't check instructions and filled with wheels on the ground. Thought all was good but decided to pull drums to check linings about a year later. Found grease seal had leaked on 3 out of 4. Replaced brake assembly and properly filled one side turning wheel as I pumped in the grease. Decided to pull drum to see if it leaked, one did and the other didn't. Cleaned it up and decided ez lube wasn't worth the trouble. Got wheel bearing packing tool from NAPA. Still a grease mess but more effective and less messy than hand packing. Will inspect brake linings, bearings, and re-pack annually, not that big of a deal if you can do it yourself. Read another thread about using a boroscope to check for leaks without having to remove drum.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:07 AM   #18
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
Curious to know, why do truck wheel bearings go for thousands of miles, but RV packed yearly?

Boats trailers need to be maintained due to water exposure, buy my truck/trailer are only on highway. Any explanation out there?
You asked a interesting question, but the answer is not that simple and it comes down to $$$.

As previously stated the automotive world has moved on to totally sealed bearings in the spindle assemblies that normally outlast the vehicle.

The RV industry askes for yearly inspections because of the troublesome electric braking system, poor seals, and lack of initial lubrication consistency.

The only improvement to the brakes are to install a disc brake system.

Most Dexter axle hubs can be converted to a oil bath system which gives you a visual on the oil level and fluid can be changed by draining and refilling, no tare down required. You only need to change out the seal and outer cap, O-ring and oil cap plug. This is a low cost fix. Almost every semi trailer uses this system and they rarely get serviced.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:11 AM   #19
tylerj1966
Gone Traveling

As I sit reading this thread, my 7k oil bath, disc brake axles for my 2004 Raptor 3512 are on order. I've filled up more than a few drums over the years.
tylerj1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:07 PM   #20
travelin texans

So Reading the last few posts it depends, are you the 1/2 full or 1/2 empty kinda guy, 50/50 chance of the seals leaking by, I've never won at anything so no grease gun here, hand packing only.
Replacement undetermined

Tags
axle, maintenance