Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2011, 07:16 AM   #1
msp2jxr

Water problem under kitchen sink

A couple of issues popped up on our last camping trip with our 2012 Cougar 326MKS. In the bedroom there was a staple protruding through the carpet. Both the DW and I stepped on it. Very pointy and it hurt so we pulled that out of the carpet. The second problem was it was extremely hot and humid so we ran the air conditioning for the first time. It ran all night but did not cool the 5er. The next morning the DW heard and saw something flapping in the living room vent. The tinfoil tape used to make the seal on the air conditioner let go and blocked the cool air vent. I took some duct tape and made a new seal around the air conditioner and it worked fine. We are still finding water on the floor of the kitchen sink but can not find where it is coming from. I wonder if it comes in around the hot water heater when it rains because the water does not appear on the floor every time we go camping. Has anyone else had this problem?
2012 Cougar 326MKS (retired)
Mor-Ryde Pin Box
2015 Super Duty F350 6.7 4x4 King Ranch
2008 Super Duty F250 6.4 Diesel 4x4 Lariat (retired)
2005 Goldwing
msp2jxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:05 AM   #2
96Brigadier

Water on the floor under the kitchen sink - same problem. Took me a while to track it down, turns out it is coming from where the bypass valve connects to the cold water line right before it enters the hot water tank (in our case the hot water tank is in a compartment to the right of the sink). It does not leak all the time, only when the hot water tank kicks in to heat more water. I have tried tightening the connection and thought it was solved but the leak came back, same spot. For now I have put a small container under the bypass valve to catch the drips, and I'll worry about fixing it later.
96Brigadier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
badge4

Have you checked the inline water filter that is located just to the right of the kitchen sink. We had the same problem and found the problem to be the filter was cross threaded. I simply took it apart and reattached it and have not had a problem since.
badge4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:06 AM   #4
therink

I can't help you with your sink issue, but can offer a tip with the a/c vents. Purchase a roll of aluminum foil duct tape (not reg duct tape). Remove all ceiling a/c vent covers and check the factory installed foil tape around the vent openings. I bet you will see loose tape with gaps that allow cool air to enter the ceiling cavities. Also remove the interior a/c unit cover (4 screws). Check that all plenum surfaces are taped and sealed and that their are no obstructions to the fore and aft duct openings. I used almost an entire roll of foil tape on mine as soon as I brought it home new from the dealer. In my opinion, this is one of those things that are done in a "rush" form at the factory.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:29 AM   #5
msp2jxr

I hadn't really thought about the extra tape idea but I think it is a good one to check and do. Where did you buy the aluminum foil tape? Can you buy it at Menards/Lowe's/Home depot? That is a great idea since we have been in a heat index of 116 degrees for the last week. I was amazed the A/C was able to keep up with the trailer for the most part. We were shaded by trees so I think that saved us since we only have the one A/C unit on our trailer.
Mor-Ryde Pin Box
2005 Goldwing
Old 07-22-2011, 07:36 AM   #6
msp2jxr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96Brigadier View Post
Water on the floor under the kitchen sink - same problem. Took me a while to track it down, turns out it is coming from where the bypass valve connects to the cold water line right before it enters the hot water tank (in our case the hot water tank is in a compartment to the right of the sink). It does not leak all the time, only when the hot water tank kicks in to heat more water. I have tried tightening the connection and thought it was solved but the leak came back, same spot. For now I have put a small container under the bypass valve to catch the drips, and I'll worry about fixing it later.
You may be on to something. I have noticed this water heater makes a lot of noise hissing and gurgling when it runs. I have checked and could never find any dripping but I don't believe I have checked while the hot water heater is running. I may just take the connections apart and reconnect them to see if that stops or helps the leaking. Thanks for your very good input...
Mor-Ryde Pin Box
2005 Goldwing
Old 07-22-2011, 07:43 AM   #7
therink

Quote:
Originally Posted by msp2jxr View Post
I hadn't really thought about the extra tape idea but I think it is a good one to check and do. Where did you buy the aluminum foil tape? Can you buy it at Menards/Lowe's/Home depot? That is a great idea since we have been in a heat index of 116 degrees for the last week. I was amazed the A/C was able to keep up with the trailer for the most part. We were shaded by trees so I think that saved us since we only have the one A/C unit on our trailer.
Hi
Any big box home store will have the tape, usually in hardware or hvac section. There are several different thicknesses. Get the thick kind. It is heavier, more pliable and stays put once installed.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:55 AM   #8
msp2jxr

Thank you, I will run out today and look for some aluminum tape.
Mor-Ryde Pin Box
2005 Goldwing
Old 07-22-2011, 08:58 AM   #9
Firestorm

Good luck,I will have to look myself with the vent problems, I do have a funky smell coming from under the sink, smells rotten, nothing under around storage area, no water leaks wonder if there's a dead critter somewhere, grey tank smell, It has us puzzled cant really narrow it down, its always something aint it,
going to Father Henn next weekend park is 100% open

safe travels good luck with your cougar
Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote