Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2018, 07:09 AM   #1
JandS

Bearings and Axle issues

Anyone have issues with their bearings breaking? We have a 2014 5th Wheel, Cougar326SRX toy hauler. We got stranded out of state when our wheel flew off! The mechanic said the bearing broke. As a result, they have to do a full axle replacement. Any thoughts, input?
JandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:24 AM   #2
travelin texans

Your rv is 4+ years old, when were the bearings inspected/packed last? Not grease added thru the zerks on the spindle ends if equipped, never consider that being repacked. The OEM bearings & seals are Chinese made so far from top quality & an annual inspection is almost mandatory.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:34 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

First, welcome to the forum.

I'd ask, is there a history of inspection/maintenance on the axles? When were the bearings last cleaned, inspected and re-lubricated and what was their condition at that time (I'm not asking when was grease last injected via the zerk fitting), but when were they actually removed, cleaned, inspected and re-lubricated?

When they failed, what happened, what, if anything, led up to the failure and what actual damage was incurred?

Lastly, do you know why the mechanic that inspected the axles after the damage made his conclusion that the "bearing broke" and did he show/explain, just what "broke" on the bearing?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:17 AM   #4
JandS

We had them inspected and checked, etc. before we left on our trip 3 weeks ago. We were traveling down the highway at approx 65 miles an hour. We had 2 mechanics examine the damage. The 2nd mechanic showed us the broken bearing.
JandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:53 AM   #5
Number 4

I'm not challenging the need to inspect & pack TT wheel bearings, just wondering why we can go 100,000+ miles in cars/trucks and not worry about those bearings. Are all trailer bearings cheap junk and should be changed out? If bearings have been properly packed with grease then corrosion from sitting idle (compared to cars/trucks used almost daily) shouldn't be an issue. Just wondering.
Number 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:44 AM   #6
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandS View Post
We had them inspected and checked, etc. before we left on our trip 3 weeks ago. We were traveling down the highway at approx 65 miles an hour. We had 2 mechanics examine the damage. The 2nd mechanic showed us the broken bearing.
The timing makes me suspicious of the preload not being set correctly on reassemble after inspection or grease compatibility issues.

When shown the "broken" bearings, was it the rollers, cages or races that were broken? Or where they just a mangled mess? Knowing which component failed and how can help guide you to the cause.

Here is some insights:

http://donoupoglou.gr/wp/wp-content/.../catb3001e.pdf

https://www.timken.com/pdf/5892_Bear...20Brochure.pdf
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:48 AM   #7
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 4 View Post
I'm not challenging the need to inspect & pack TT wheel bearings, just wondering why we can go 100,000+ miles in cars/trucks and not worry about those bearings. Are all trailer bearings cheap junk and should be changed out? If bearings have been properly packed with grease then corrosion from sitting idle (compared to cars/trucks used almost daily) shouldn't be an issue. Just wondering.
Car & trucks use newer technology bearings that are self contained, lubricated and not nearly as dependent on reassembly technique (preload) as tapered bearings used on TTs. I am old enough to remember the same issues with tapered bearings once used on cars and trucks when I was teen.
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 06-28-2018, 11:26 AM   #8
IHnutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
The timing makes me suspicious of the preload not being set correctly on reassemble after inspection or grease compatibility issues.

DITTO on this! The thrust/side load on the bearings when turning and backing is much more severe than on older cars and trucks that used tapered roller bearings. You will almost always "scrub" one or more of the trailer tires on the inside of a tight turn. If the proper preload, too loose, is not applied to the bearing that can actually fracture the cage and cause the bearing to fail in very short order. If preload is too tight the bearing will overheat boiling the lubrication away causing the bearing to seize and fail.
IHnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:30 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 4 View Post
As technology in automobiles has advanced, so has the maintenance requirements for components. Wheel bearings on most cars/trucks these days are sealed bearings, typically "ignored" until they give problems. Those few vehicles with "non-sealed bearings" (Fords) require repacking every 60K miles.

Trailers do not share this "advanced technology" and are "old school roller/taper bearings" They require much more frequent maintenance. If you go to this website, you can view a 1960 Ford Falcon Owner's Manual: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10...page=46#manual On page 46 is a "maintenance requirement" to clean, repack and adjust the front wheel bearings every 12,000 miles. Trailers, for the most part, use the same type bearings that were on 1960 Falcons and require essentially the same maintenance requirements. Good, bad or ugly, that's just the way trailers roll..................

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-28-2018, 03:40 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree with previous posters. The timing of the failure (shortly after inspection, regreasing and reinstallation/adjustment) would cause me to suspect that the bearings were not reinstalled correctly (preload adjustment and/or incorrect bearing set placed in a hub where it was not installed in the same race from which it was removed) or incorrect grease was used without completely removing all the "old grease" from the hub.

It may be a simple component failure, but that soon after maintenance was performed on the axle, I'd consider that maintenance the cause until it was proven otherwise.....

The dilemma? How do you "prove" the previous mechanic didn't reinstall them correctly???? I don't think you can..... All the more reason that I do my own maintenance: If it breaks, it's my fault.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-28-2018, 04:34 PM   #11
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
As technology in automobiles has advanced, so has the maintenance requirements for components. Wheel bearings on most cars/trucks these days are sealed bearings, typically "ignored" until they give problems. Those few vehicles with "non-sealed bearings" (Fords) require repacking every 60K miles.

Trailers do not share this "advanced technology" and are "old school roller/taper bearings" They require much more frequent maintenance. If you go to this website, you can view a 1960 Ford Falcon Owner's Manual: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10...page=46#manual On page 46 is a "maintenance requirement" to clean, repack and adjust the front wheel bearings every 12,000 miles. Trailers, for the most part, use the same type bearings that were on 1960 Falcons and require essentially the same maintenance requirements. Good, bad or ugly, that's just the way trailers roll..................
Yes John I did so many front wheel bearings on the 60s Mustang I think my left palm has a hollow spot from packing them.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:35 PM   #12
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
............. All the more reason that I do my own maintenance: If it breaks, it's my fault.....
Those to are the words I live by.
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 06-30-2018, 12:44 PM   #13
Old Mustanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Yes John I did so many front wheel bearings on the 60s Mustang I think my left palm has a hollow spot from packing them.
X2! One of the jobs I always hated (and still do)
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 02:28 PM   #14
Gegrad

Why the such negativity towards using the EZ lube fittings? Is it just for the possible pushing out of the seals and coating the brakes? My neighbor has an automotive degree and has said it should be fine for lubricating and has used the EZ lubes extensively.

As an anecdote, when I bought my trailer last July first thing I did was lube the bearings via the EZ lube. We towed it several thousand miles last summer and fall. Because I had read about hand packing on here, I pulled one wheel on each side this spring as part of my de-winterization process to check the bearings- they were fully packed with grease- and it was the color grease I has used, so I know the ez lube worked perfectly. So my questions:
1) Is the anti EZ lube sentiment on here strictly for fear of blowing out the seals and coating the brakes?
2) This also seems like it is more of a problem on the huge 5ers, not extremely lightweight (by comparison to the 5ers, 1/2 the weight) TTs?
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 03:30 PM   #15
MarkS

Bearings and Axle issues

I think there is some confusion between EZ-Lube and Buddy bearings. I have had trouble with the Buddy Bearings ruining brakes. EZ-Lube seems better, but I am gun shy.

Correction, EZ-lube is a Dexter axle, Lippert has a copy. Buddy’s shouldn’t be used with brakes. Right?

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 06:20 AM   #16
jsmith948

Well...I don't have a degree in automotive engineering - but - it seems logical to me that if you push grease through the bearings and bearing cavity with a grease gun, in order for the grease to reach the outer bearing, it has to first pass through the inner bearing and then, after building up pressure against the seal, is pushed out through the outer bearing. Now take said hub on the road and get the grease hot. What happens to the pressure built up from the expansion? Yep - it pushes the seal out of the hub or just pushes past the rubber lip on the seal. To each his own - I'll pack mine by hand. It isn't that difficult

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:13 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Well...I don't have a degree in automotive engineering - but - it seems logical to me that if you push grease through the bearings and bearing cavity with a grease gun, in order for the grease to reach the outer bearing, it has to first pass through the inner bearing and then, after building up pressure against the seal, is pushed out through the outer bearing. Now take said hub on the road and get the grease hot. What happens to the pressure built up from the expansion? Yep - it pushes the seal out of the hub or just pushes past the rubber lip on the seal. To each his own - I'll pack mine by hand. It isn't that difficult
I'll drink to that !!!! After "supporting the careful use of the EZ Lube system for years" I wound up replacing my brakes on all 4 wheels in Colorado two years ago. All 4 of the seals had leaked and saturated the brake shoes. It was no fun replacing brakes with minimum tools and jacks/stands in a campground near Denver, but it was even less "fun" towing from Steamboat Springs to Denver with no trailer brakes.

I agree, To each his own, I learned my lesson the hard way, and no longer use the EZ Lube system on any trailer with brakes. As for my boat trailer, it doesn't have brakes, so "no problem there" but if I blow the seal on it, I'll have water on the bearings with every launch, so that leaves the utility trailer that I use behind my tractor.... With the weights I load on that trailer, I check the bearings every year, so might as well just pack them by hand too.....

Short story, I wouldn't even use the EZ Lube system on a garden trailer..... YMMV......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-01-2018, 07:51 AM   #18
Javi

I still have one of these from one of my early lives...

https://store.snapon.com/Bearing-Pac...s-P635854.aspx
Old 07-01-2018, 08:36 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

WOW Javi !!!! That's a Rolls Royce version of my Yugo method
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel bearing packing.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	17271  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-01-2018, 08:19 PM   #20
ChuckS

Nothing will ever take the place of removing the bearings, cleaning them and the races, inspecting, and a good old fashion hand pack bearing. You can see when the fresh grease has gone from one side to other.

I have the Dexter EZ lube axels, fours years haven’t used and never will. I want to remove the brake drum , clean out the old brake residue, lightly clean surface of shoes with sandpaper , etc.

Using the EZ lube method you can’t see anything. Just not smart maintenance practice.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle