Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2011, 12:39 PM   #1
GaKaye

Question 30/20 Circuit Breaker Problem

We are currently living full time in our 2007 Keystone Springdale 291 camper while we build a new home. We're having a problem with the 30/20 breaker tripping. Sometimes only the 20 trips (air conditioner), but sometimes the 30 (main) trips, and sometimes they both trip. I've learned to turn the air off before I use my hair dryer or flat iron, but sometimes the main will trip when no one is even in the camper and only the air conditioning is in use. Well, I guess the fridge is running, and perhaps the hot water heater may have cycled on . We thought perhaps the breaker was going bad, but are having trouble finding a new one. Any suggestions?
GaKaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:59 PM   #2
SLIMSHADIE

I was having a similar problem while camping at a campground at Gatlinburg,Tn, last month. I narrowed it down to the electric hot water heater element-turning on with the A/C. So I ran it on gas and didn't have a problem since.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:08 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

I also cannot run W/H on electric and A/C at the same time. Fridge or microwave are fine ... just W/H. Not enough amps to go around, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:31 AM   #4
GaKaye

Thanks for the advice. Gas scares me, so we've used the water heater only on electricity. I guess it's time to give it a try on gas....
GaKaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:45 PM   #5
blangen

Yep... Cougar TT 29BHS here... First it was the main tripping then...

UPDATE: My Cougar fell outside the manufacturing date and VIN for the breaker recall but, like larrygranny1 said, I changed out all three breakers for piece of mind. While the 20/15 and 15/15 are available at Lowe's, the 30/20 proved to be a tough bugger to find. After hitting the two big boxes (Lowes and Home Depot), Went to an electrical supply house. In this case, it was Platt Electric in Roseville, CA just outside Sacramento and they had to get it overnight from their main hub in Beaverton, OR. So... for the Cutler-Hammer 30/20 breaker, you'll need to plan ahead a little.

Ok... it's true that, if you want to just add single breakers (rather than look for the combinations), you can do that as there is room in the box but, personally, not being an electrician, I wanted to just swap exact parts. Additionally, wherever possible, I like to keep things original.

I, too, am having problems. First it was the main tripping but then turned off everything (except the converter, I guess). Now, the 20 amp AC breaker is tripping. Not all the time... but often enough that I'm worried for my dog that stays behind and guards the homestead on occasion.

In the beginning (granted, it wasn't as hot as it is now), I ran everything... A/C, microwave (to warm coffee), hot water heater, refer, netbook, satellite on electricity... no trips. Then, it began tripping more and more. Now that I've turned off everything else, the A/C 20 blows. It sure seems to me that they are tripping more and more frequently. But, it is getting hotter. I'm in the shade but it is still upper 90s ambient temps.

Is this normal or are breakers getting weak? Is there something on the AC that needs maintenance? By the way... this 2011 Keystone Cougar is only 3 months old but it's been a continuous use. I have cleaned filter, if it matters... wasn't much dirt on it.

Any advice from the learned gurus will be most appreciated.
blangen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:55 PM   #6
hankaye

blangen, Howdy;

Mine's a 2008 (see signature), Bought it used (?).
Still had stickers in shower and lavy sink. and a few other places.

When I got it home (park I live in for now, fulltimer), I started pulling panels and really "LOOKING" things over.
When I pulled the cover off the A/C to look at the filter I spyed with my little eye,
and the aid of my trusty flashlight ... something white, up high inside. It was the warrenty sheet. covering the fresh air inlet to the compressor section. The vent s felt like they were doing the job But if it has to work harder than it's designed to then you could end up with problems...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:03 AM   #7
blangen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
blangen,
When I pulled the cover off the A/C to look at the filter I spyed with my little eye,
and the aid of my trusty flashlight ... something white, up high inside. It was the warrenty sheet. covering the fresh air inlet to the compressor section.
hankaye
Hey Hankaye,

You mean from the under side... not pulling the cover on the roof, right? Didn't find any paper on the underside but I did realize that we can actually see the inlet side of the coil and would be able to get a vacuum with a soft brush up in there. Too cool! Thanks! Ya know... that looks to be a pretty worthless filter from the factory... thinking about going for a much finer weave.
blangen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:49 AM   #8
larrygranny1

breaker

there is a recall on some units that keystone makes. the 20/30 brekers are bad. I went and bouught a 20/30 and replaced mine. Don't know if it was bad or not, but didn't want to take hit on the road.