Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2011, 07:02 PM   #1
EdCo

clogged drain?

just picked up a used 2007 Outback Sydney, my first TT. The first time I took it out it seems the kitchen drain has clogged up. (No, we have not had it long enough to drain anything other than water down the drain, but who knows what the previous owner did)

I checked to see if maybe the tanks were full. Seems I have gauges for a Black tank and a Gray 1 and Gray 2 tank indicators. One gray tank shows near empty, the other shows full. I can only find one release valve for gray and one for black in the usual place next to the sewer drain pipe. I cannot find a second gray release valve or crossover valve. Anyone have an idea if I actually have a second tank and if so where the valve might be?

If there is no second valve or tank, is unstopping a clogged drain the same process as in my house...find a small drain snake and run it down the line? How about the "plastic safe" liquid drain cleaners?

I'd hate to take it to the shop for something that may be really simple.

Any tips for the new guy?

Oh, and the bathroom sink and shower drain fine but i understand they might drain into the black tank.
EdCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:23 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

You should have 3 release valves for your tanks - assuming you have 3 - 1 for black, and 2 gray ( 1 galley and 1 bath/shower/sink). It is possible that one of the missing drain pulls has actually come away from the valve leaving you with nothing to pull or to see. (Perhaps this happened with the previous owner and he didnt bother to fit it back on). I had one pull come out from the valve as I began emptying one of gray tanks. Had to crawl underneath, cut back some of the Coroplast underbelly and thread it back onto the valve. I used Locktite on it and it has not come away since.
For the clogged kitchen sink, you might start with the P-trap to see if that is clogged. You shouldn't need a snake for this part of the job.
The tank gauges on the wall are notorious for false readings. A "full" tank reading doesn't necessarily mean that the tank is full - especially if it's the black tank.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:17 PM   #3
hankaye

EdCo, Howdy;

You should probably pull the cloroplast down in the area of the Main drain. Once you can SEE the system you will have a much better idea of what you are dealing with.
As you have a TT most of your plumming will be along the exterior wall. That is what will give it the grade it needs to get from one end to the other. I don't know the layout of your TT but I had one with a front kitchen and that's how mine ran, indoors till it got to the tank. If yours drops thru the floor then it is pro'bly going streight to the tank. That should help you locate it. Double check by looking for the vent thru the roof. 3 roof vents = 3 tanks.
The kitchen will prob'ly have a 1 1/2" pipe and valve, Shower/Bathroom sink and Black will most likely be 3" pipes and valves. Depending on where the Shower / Bathroom sink are in relation to the Black tank an where the kitchen is...

Reckon what I'm sayin' is you're going to have to get under it and give it a good look.
Let us know what you find and we'll see how helpful we can be...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:30 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Edco, welcome to the forum. The galley valve will be separate from the gray and black. It should be close to the kitchen. Before pulling anything apart, look for it along the entire side of your trailer. If your drains are exposed under the trailer follow the smallest one to the galley tank. Hope this helps, Hank ........ Your galley tank will most likely have a mechanical vent under the cabinet and not go through the roof.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:47 AM   #5
EdCo

Thanks to you all for your input. I almost can't wait to get over there this evening after work (and after it cools down) to start poking around to see what I find. I'll let you know how it turns out. I've already seen that vent under the galley cabinet, then the piping runs under the oven then into the floor.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:23 AM   #6
KanTC

EdCo,

The 2007 Sydney specs show an 80 gal gray water capacity, which typically indicates '2' gray tanks on lighter weight trailers... so, your monitor panel should be correct (2 gray & 1 black). With an 80 gal capacity, and only one bath, it seems unlikely that your shower & bath sink drain directly to the black tank.

In looking at your floorplan, the galley & bath are side by side, with only a short distance between the two. With that in mind, hopefully each gray tank is located closely beneath the respective 'rooms'. As already suggested, you'll probably have to access the underbelly & investigate.

You asked about the "plastic safe" liquid drain cleaners -- I don't know whether or not these are safe for RV's. It 'may' depend on the active ingredients used, etc. There's a notation (& list) in the current Owner's Manual, which states -- Do not put these items in toilet or drains: #3. Automotive antifreeze, ammonia, alcohols, or acetones.

Do drain cleaners contain ammonia, alcohols, or acetones?? Probably wouldn't hurt to contact Keystone and/or a trusted RV Service Dept & ask specific questions, before you go this route.

The 2007 specs & brochure were still available (archived) on the Keystone website, and that may provide you with a bit more info about your trailer. Unfortunately, Sydney travel trailers were discontinued in 2009, so you may not find many 31RQS owners to compare notes with.

Specs page for your 2007 model
http://keystone-sydney.com/index.php...1RQS&year=2007

2007 Sydney Brochure
http://www.keystonerv.com/media2/documents/Sydney07.pdf

Welcome to the forum, hope this helps!

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot [& DH Kevin]
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:15 PM   #7
hankaye

hankpage, Howdy;

In my older TT the Galley drained to the rear and dumped into the ONLY gray tank I had..the tank had a roof vent.. There was a 'P' trap at the kit. sink drains and a short vent. Then back where the Lavy and tub/shower entered the Gray tank there was another 'P' trap an a short vent as well as the roof vent. I think (could be wrong), that the short vents were to help eleminate any kind of vacuum building up an promoting a free flow as they were installed downstream from the 'P' traps. Just like in my newer Cougar (you are correct... no Galley roof vent for the newer Cougar). Or in your home.

hankaye

T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:34 PM   #8
EdCo

Mystery solved. Amazing what you find when you look. After peeking through cracks and slit in the coroplast I found one gray tank in front of the axle and the one I knew about behind the axle.

There was the 1 1/2 inch drain line running from the front tank straight into the main drain. I found the valve pull tucked in between the wheels on the road side wheel well. Pretty obvious after I found it. Feeling kinda dumb about that but also much smarter for asking you guys before I really made a fool of myself taking it to a shop to unplug a stopped up sink.

Thanks for your suggestions. They all helped me understand how this thing goes together and made me get under there and root around to learn about what I have.

I hope you're around when I have a "real" problem that needs solved.

Thanks again,
Ed
Old 06-16-2011, 06:26 PM   #9
Festus2
Site Team

Glad to read that you found the valve pull and have eliminated the need to unplug an unplugged sink. We are all now going camping so you're on your own!
Old 06-16-2011, 06:46 PM   #10
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
We are all now going camping so you're on your own!

I'll drink to that, Hank ......... but then again I'll drink to anything.

EdCo, Keep on poking around. It's the best way to learn about your trailer. Manuals are just about useless. Enjoy your "new to you" trailer and travel safely.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:41 AM   #11
hankaye

EdCo, Howdy;

Glad you found the "Problem".

Have found that it's always a good idea to get familur with what I have....
fishin' rod an reel, shotgun, pick-up truck, RV. Dosen't matter what the it is.
The more I know about it the better I feel about it. The better I can take care of it myself as well.

Enjoy your drainage...

hankaye