Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2017, 07:58 PM   #1
gwray

Keeping battery issues

Hey guys, I purchased a 2012 Keystone Springdale trailer last Fall, used it in the fall, stored it all winter and went on a few camping trips this summer.

Keeping up with maintance, I decided it was time to change the batteries. I went to Canadian Tire and bought two 12v Motomaster Nauculis batteries.

They worked well for the first week while parked (not plugged in) and we decided to head out for a trip. As soon as we unloaded at the site, I put a light on and instant battery drain. Since then I have not been able to charge the batteries by plugging into the 120 at home, neither does the solar panel charge the batteries at all.
I've also noticed now the rear stabilizers do not have power to them and neither do the kitchen area lights.
I checked the fuses, replaced the only 30amp fuse that was blown and still can not get the batteries to charge, or get the rear stabilizers and 3 lights to work.

Help!
gwray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:07 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

A couple of things come to mind. First, you changed out the batteries and say you replaced the 30 amp fuse that was blown. Sounds like you might have your batteries (or one of them) connected in reverse. The 30 amp fuses (there are two) on the power center DC system are "reverse polarity" fuses and the only time they will blow is when you have reverse polarity at the batteries. They are a "safety mechanism" to protect the converter bridge circuit.

So, double check that your batteries are properly connected. The black is POS and the white is NEG (just the opposite of automotive systems) and many people make that mistake. If you have two batteries, make sure you have them in parallel (pos to pos/neg to neg) if you have them in series, you're putting 24 VDC to the converter system and that may have "toasted" the converter. If things were working before you changed batteries and if the batteries will hold a charge (if charged outside the RV system by a separate battery charger) then it's likely that the problem is something you did during battery changeout.

Let us know what you find when you check the connections and those fuses. Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:55 AM   #3
gwray

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
A couple of things come to mind. First, you changed out the batteries and say you replaced the 30 amp fuse that was blown. Sounds like you might have your batteries (or one of them) connected in reverse. The 30 amp fuses (there are two) on the power center DC system are "reverse polarity" fuses and the only time they will blow is when you have reverse polarity at the batteries. They are a "safety mechanism" to protect the converter bridge circuit.

So, double check that your batteries are properly connected. The black is POS and the white is NEG (just the opposite of automotive systems) and many people make that mistake. If you have two batteries, make sure you have them in parallel (pos to pos/neg to neg) if you have them in series, you're putting 24 VDC to the converter system and that may have "toasted" the converter. If things were working before you changed batteries and if the batteries will hold a charge (if charged outside the RV system by a separate battery charger) then it's likely that the problem is something you did during battery changeout.

Let us know what you find when you check the connections and those fuses. Good Luck
Thanks JRTJH

I tried disconnecting the parallel and just running off one 12v. did the trick. must have been putting too much power into the trailer with 2rv running to it. Rookie mistake I guess.

my issue now is the rear stabilizer jacks are not operating. My gut says a fuse is blown but I checked all of them I could fine and they are fine.

Do the jacks has a separate fuse somewhere else in the trailer?
gwray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery