Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2017, 08:55 PM   #1
JBauern

refrigerator

Domestic DM2652 What is the white thingy that my finger is pointing too. It is next to a decal going from warmer at the bottom to colder at the top. There is a bracket that this fits into which attaches to the cooling fins. There is nothing in the operating manual about this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_9226-20170516_2139072140658825.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	12628  
JBauern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:17 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

refrigerator

That is the thermistor. It is a temp sensor that should be in the plastic clip attached to the cooling fins. It's placement on the fins adjusts the fridge temp.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:37 PM   #3
JBauern

More fridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
That is the thermistor. It is a temp sensor that should be in the plastic clip attached to the cooling fins. It's placement on the fins adjusts the fridge temp.

Ty. We were cleaning the fridge. I reinstalled the thermistor. But I have now a question about it. If it is shielded in the plastic bracket, does that mean the fridge will get warmer, or will it get colder to compensate for it being covered.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170517_130053.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	12630   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170517_130105.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	12631  
Old 05-17-2017, 01:36 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Dometic has designed the fridge to operate with the thermistor in that plastic piece. It's placement on the cooling fin (height) will determine temp.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:39 PM   #5
JBauern

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Dometic has designed the fridge to operate with the thermistor in that plastic piece. It's placement on the cooling fin (height) will determine temp.
so does the thermistor need to fully enclosed, then the piece be moved up and down on the fin,
Old 05-17-2017, 05:42 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

I try to keep it within the confines of the plastic sliding piece.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:00 AM   #7
NorskeBob

What I have found:

Research indicated the thermistor location set at the factory is usually the on the last fin on the right as you look at the reefer. Move it up for cooler and down for warmer. IF you move it, move it in small, small increments and allow 24 hrs. for the reefer to adjust temperature in relation to the move of the thermistor. Takes 24 hrs. for temp to stabilize.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	thermister.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	12641  

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:13 AM   #8
msubobcats

And if we should ever upgrade our 5ver we WILL NOT get a unit that has one of these refrigerators...
8.1 / Allison / Long bed / Crew Cab
2016 Keystone Cougar 284RDB
GOOOOO MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY BOBCATS
msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:33 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Rick,

Do some reading on the problems and limitations owners of "residential refrigerators" are having with that "improved system".... Some love them, some are considering throwing them out, using them as a "beer box in the garage" and installing a Dometic/Norcold in their trailer to solve the problems they have with a residential reefer.....

So, not every improvement is really "improved".... Do some reading on the forum, you'll probably be surprised at just how many problems people are having.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:14 AM   #10
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Rick,

Do some reading on the problems and limitations owners of "residential refrigerators" are having with that "improved system".... Some love them, some are considering throwing them out, using them as a "beer box in the garage" and installing a Dometic/Norcold in their trailer to solve the problems they have with a residential reefer.....

So, not every improvement is really "improved".... Do some reading on the forum, you'll probably be surprised at just how many problems people are having.....
Double down... I will not have a residential fridge in a trailer that I tow on a regular basis... I don't boondock, but I do not want to fool with an inverter system in a trailer.. We were looking at a new trailer this week that we loved a lot.... but it had a residential... no deal...
Old 05-18-2017, 08:28 AM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

x3. Give me a Dometic RV refer and I'm a happy camper.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:12 AM   #12
canesfan

x4. No residential refer. I don't need any more headaches than I already have. Plus I dry camp at times, but even if I didn't it's a no sale.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:33 AM   #13
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
x4. No residential refer. I don't need any more headaches than I already have. Plus I dry camp at times, but even if I didn't it's a no sale.
X5+ AND also PLEASE no remotes (television and audio only)

All for no headaches
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:37 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Ammonia absorption refrigerators have been around in RV's for at least 50 years and have been used in cabins/remote homes for many more years than that. The concept is sound, has proven reliable and within it's limitations, is still the most suitable for RV use, even with almost all "camping" done with full hookups. As for residential refrigerators, the limitation of not being able to use the refrigerator when towing in hot areas unless you also can operate the air conditioning to keep the RV cabin at "reasonable temperatures" is something that all but excludes any towing in the southwest USA during much of the spring, summer and fall and excludes the southeast as well during the summer, early fall. There is no such limitation with absorption refrigerator systems. They may "get a little warmer" and the ice cream might get soft when towing through the desert in August, but at least you'll still have a working refrigerator at the end of the trip. That's not a certainty with a residential refrigerator onboard your RV, a "burned up compressor" has become a distinct possibility.....

My experience with absorption refrigerators, although limited to only the past 45 years or so, has been that most of the problems stem, not from the absorption system but from the "high technology" advancements such as "automatic operation", helium technology (instead of ammonia), attempts at frost free operation, increased size of the refrigerator, sometimes meaning two cooling systems from smaller refrigerator design "stuffed into a big box" and attempts at trying to make a "wonderfully designed system" work like it is a "pretend residential refrigerator". From the time "they" added battery power to make the system easier to use, things have been less reliable with absorption systems. I well remember the frustration of having to go outside to open a tiny door and stick a match held by needle nose pliers over a pilot light to start my old Instamatic 6 refrigerator. Sure it was frustrating, especially in a rainstorm, at night, but that refrigerator worked for me at least 10 years and was still "working like new" when we sold the trailer. As far as I know, it's still working.... It was a basic, no frills way to keep cold food cold, freeze fish during the weekend and have ice cream with our smores.

Within its design limitations, I don't think you can find a refrigerator operating system that's better suited for RV use than a "basic model ammonia absorption system"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:23 AM   #15
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

refrigerator

The biggest issue I see with absorption fridges is air circulation in the back across the condenser. Side exhaust vents in slide-outs are common culprits. Install a fan or two the force air circulation and temps drop in the fridge.

A correctly operating absorption refrigerator works pretty darn well.

I too agree with the "in transit" benefits as well.

If-and-when the cooling unit goes tits-up, there are several aftermarket cooling unit manufacturers that have improved the design. If you're a little handy, you can replace yourself. A quick video shows how simple the process is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:22 PM   #16
NorskeBob

Checked our frig. (Norcold 2118SST) out yesterday - first warm day we have had in a while. Was about 85 degrees out and I wanted to see how the unit cooled down. I started out in gas mode and then switched over to AC mode. Got the freezer section down to 5 degrees. Fresh food section was about 38 degrees. Freezer and fridge were empty.

I was going to add additional fan to this frig but I don't think I will need to. It has one smaller fan at the very bottom (lower vent area) and 2 larger ones about 2/3's of the way up the back.

Out last RV had only one fan so I added a computer fan and on-off switch. SilenX Effizio Silent 120mm Thermistor Edition Fan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	012.JPG
Views:	319
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	12648   Click image for larger version

Name:	008.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	12649  

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4