Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2017, 06:07 PM   #1
gnirwin

another inverter question.

New to having a residential refrigerator with inverter. if I am hooked up to shore power when is the battery charging? when the rotary on/off switch is on?
gnirwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:11 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If your plugged into shore power and the battery disconnect is in the "ON" position, then the battery is charging.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:28 PM   #3
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If your plugged into shore power and the battery disconnect is in the "ON" position, then the battery is charging.
chuckster57 has described the battery disconnect switch usually in the convenience center. If you are new to a residential frig/inverter we have had a few resent post identifying other switches that enable that refig to run off your shore power when available rather than using the inverter and batteries. Hopefully you have some documentation on that inverter configuration.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:48 AM   #4
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Search i s your friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
If you are new to a residential frig/inverter we have had a few resent post identifying other switches that enable that refig to run off your shore power when available rather than using the inverter and batteries.
Search is your friend! There is a both a quick option and an advanced option. Doing a search on inverter will inundate you with info. Doing an advanced search for inverter problems will narrow it down some. Good luck. Others will probably chime in soon as this has been a popular (?) problem lately.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:50 AM   #5
gnirwin

I did a search and didn't find an actual answer to my specific question as to " what is the position of on/off switch for proper recharging". Most inverter questions are pertaining to turning it on and how long will the battery last etc. Bought my camper last fall and spent the winter reading the documentation that came with it but there was very little (as others have stated) on the inverter. I have been on a couple short trips of an hour or less and have left the above mentioned switch in the "on" position but wasn't sure if the battery was recharging or if it was still maintaining it's original charge. So I will leave the battery disconnect switch on, turn the inverter itself off and the batteries will charge. Thanks
Old 04-24-2017, 05:40 AM   #6
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I believe that has been the consensus. With shore power on no need for inverter on. For batteries to charge, the battery disconnect has to be "on". Same with traveling for the emergency brake disconnect to activate and the refrigerator to operate in propane mode for those that have that set up. With so many different set ups available now a days, it gets confusing easily. Glad you got an answer that worked for your situation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 04-24-2017, 05:48 AM   #7
66joej

On your control panel near the door there should be a battery charge indicator. A series of usually 4 lights low to full charge. This should let you know if battery is charging. Drain the battery down a bit then plug in shore power to test.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:07 AM   #8
gnirwin

but I assumed the battery charge indicator was for the coach battery, not the inverter battery?
Old 04-24-2017, 07:11 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnirwin View Post
but I assumed the battery charge indicator was for the coach battery, not the inverter battery?
We don't sell Alpines so I am not versed on your particular set up. Does your trailer have a separate dedicated battery for the inverter?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:25 AM   #10
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Wait?? if you have two batteries one separate one
For the inverter, then you have a more complicated charging system (isolation relay,etc). Surprised you did not find post my matt.... describing additional switches in his rig with a residential frig an inverter. Did you do a search on residential frig??
Old 04-24-2017, 07:43 AM   #11
ChuckS

I own a 2014 Alpine and I have also looked at new 2017 Alpines. Only two batteries ... both supply D.C. To everything and are charged together by converter. Not sure about swap over circuit for resedential fridge in new units for the D.C. To AC inverter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:46 AM   #12
gnirwin

yep 2 separate battery systems, 1 dedicated to the inverter. This is my 3rd camper and I am familiar with the the indicator etc. it's just that this battery seems isolated from the rest of the system .
Old 04-24-2017, 09:05 AM   #13
canesfan

Quote:
yep 2 separate battery systems, 1 dedicated to the inverter. This is my 3rd camper and I am familiar with the the indicator etc. it's just that this battery seems isolated from the rest of the system .
I have 2 batteries but the second is dedicated to starting the generator. They are wired through an "isolator" so if I run the coach battery down I still have the genny battery to start it, but both charge normally when the battery shutoff is "on". I would assume (bad idea with RVs) yours is probably similar.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:54 AM   #14
gnirwin

2 batteries each with their separate shut off switch. I don't have a generator nor do I have a gen prep package. If they are both "tied" together some how it's beyond my simple non electronic know how mind.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:28 AM   #15
gnirwin

If i remember the electronic nightmare crash course called "dealer walk through" I believe it was explained to me the 1 battery is dedicated to the residential refrigerator only and it was explained to me how to turn the switch on/off as needed as well as turning on the inverter itself but nothing about what switch should be on while charging. I also have 2 batteries in parallel for the coach.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:08 AM   #16
canesfan

Might be time for a call to the dealer.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:19 PM   #17
MattHelm21

I just used trial and error for the things I couldn't remember from the PDI. For the best help from the forum on this topic I would recommend you take pictures of your battery compartment and the switches you are asking about and post them to the thread. I know in a past thread that there were two separate battery banks on one of the fifth wheel models from the factory. The Fuzion I have only has one bank with two 12 Volts in parallel.

I have always assumed if you turn off the battery disconnect in the convenience center(if yours is there) then the batteries won't charge. I can confirm on my Fuzion that the switch for the inverter (which can prevent the inverter from inverting 12Vdc to 120Vac but allow shore power to power the fridge) does not prevent the batteries from charging in either position. That being said, I don't think the vehicle charge circuit can keep up with the inverter draw while powering the fridge although I haven't run the numbers.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:16 PM   #18
gnirwin

Got an answer from a fellow Alpine owner. The Alpine has a separate battery, not in parallel with the coach battery. it runs the inverter only. Nothing else. With the rig on shore power and the inverter turned off at the inverter button and the red on/off keyed switch on, the battery will charge.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:37 AM   #19
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Got an answer from a fellow Alpine owner. The Alpine has a separate battery, not in parallel with the coach battery. it runs the inverter only. nothing else. With the rig on shore power and the inverter turned off at the inverter button and the red on/off keyed switch on the battery will charge.
Good deal! And thanks for the follow up. That will help someone else in the future!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 04-26-2017, 08:14 AM   #20
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Got an answer from a fellow Alpine owner. The Alpine has a separate battery, not in parallel with the coach battery. it runs the inverter only. Nothing else. With the rig on shore power and the inverter turned off at the inverter button and the red on/off keyed switch on, the battery will charge.
Since we have had so many questions on residential frigs and inverters let me try and summarize this Alpine configuration as well as hopefully clarify/question these switches.

ALPINE

Residential Frig and on board dedicated Inverter (12 VDC to 110 VAC)
Two battery banks (Bank one 1 -12 VDC battery dedicated to frig inverter; Bank two 2- 12 VDC batteries for the entire coach)

I assume both Battery Banks are wired to be charged from the on board converter ???? Same battery disconnect, which must be on, for batteries to charge from converter??

The residential frig can be powered by shore power when available to preserve batteries.

If it can then there has to be a way to which that residential frig circuit is powered from the inverter supplying the 110 VAC or the power being supplied by your shore power. In general this power selection is implemented with a transfer switch.

That inverter switch that is referenced in red, is it the power switch for the inverter or another switch that does the transfer. Does one switch do both? ie turn off actual inverter and at the same time provide the transfer function?? Is the transfer automatic when shore power available, manual, or a two step process.

gnirwin did you get answers to some of these questions??
Anyone want to chime in and clarify this further
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)