Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2017, 08:03 AM   #1
Gadgetmonster

Sanitizing Cougar water system

My first year sanitizing the fresh water system was a challenge. Owner's manual is too generic to give details. The goal is simple. Add 1/4 cup of bleach for every 15 gal of fresh water your tank holds.
I like this guys videos. He explains the do's and don't's well.
. I followed his instructions.
Trouble is on my 2015 Cougar X-Lite 33res there is no obvious way to access the fresh water tank. I looked on this forum and did not find the answer. Same with Google. Thought I may have found the answer so I went so far as to buy a pump to overcome what I believe is a check valve in the in-bound water line to fill the tank. It did not work. My new drill mounted pump must not be able to overcome the check valve.
So I was able to find the overflow drain / vent hose that goes to the fresh water tank and treated the water. Was a pain as I had bleach water in the coach and that is never a good idea as I am prone to spill and splash.
After I finished I got to thinking about the air vent in the water fill panel outside. This vent hole is protected by a screen that I thought was molded into the black panel. See the attached photo. Found that the screen is not attached. I was able to pry it out easily with no damage.
So if you pry this screen out you have easy access to the fresh water tank. Get a proper flexible tube that will withstand some bleach water and a funnel. Push the tube a foot or so into the open hole and pour the water/bleach mixture directly into your fresh water tank. Put the screen back in there and move on. [/IMG]

2015 Cougar XLite 33RES
2011 F-350 Turbo Diesel
From Southport Indiana
Miniature Schnauzers supervise out trips
Gadgetmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:16 AM   #2
canesfan

Yup. No gravity fill. Newer Keystone "feature". Sux. There are several threads on here about just that "feature". They actually have a sticker on mine in the docking center detailing just what you outlined to sanitize. And yes, that is a check valve in the city water inlet. You need a pump with enough "umpf" to open it. If you open a faucet to reduce the water pressure in the system first the check valve is easier to open.

What I want to know is how your key is defying gravity like that?
Old 04-19-2017, 08:22 AM   #3
Gadgetmonster

That floating key is just another amazing do-dad found only in a Keystone RV.

2015 Cougar XLite 33RES
2011 F-350 Turbo Diesel
From Southport Indiana
Miniature Schnauzers supervise out trips
Gadgetmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 05:53 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetmonster View Post
That floating key is just another amazing do-dad found only in a Keystone RV.
That just means the sales guy already had a 751 key

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:35 AM   #5
unyalli

Good info GadgetMonster thanks.

Just a quick note my owners manual states this is how to get the bleach water into the tank. Only stating this so people know Keystone recommends this so won't effect warranty.

- Jeff
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:26 PM   #6
CaptnJohn

Some of these new features make me think my 2016 may be around for a while.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:53 PM   #7
SLIMSHADIE

Just thinking outside the box, why couldnt a person hook the hose up to the camper. Introduce the bleach into the other end of the hose before hooking up to the faucet. Then fill fresh water tank. You are only talking about 1 cup of bleach anyways.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:04 PM   #8
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMSHADIE View Post

Just thinking outside the box, why couldnt a person hook the hose up to the camper. Introduce the bleach into the other end of the hose before hooking up to the faucet. Then fill fresh water tank. You are only talking about 1 cup of bleach anyways.
That would be too easy[emoji6]

Javi
Old 05-25-2017, 06:24 AM   #9
JLeeG

Easy peasy. Fill fresh water tank 1/2 full. Unhook fresh water hose and drain about a cup of water from the hose. Pour bleach into hose and reattach. Finish filling tank and proceed as usual with flushing the tanks and lines. Piece of cake.
JLeeG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, water