Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2017, 09:28 AM   #1
canesfan

Tires and Wmart "shipping"

Just thought this was "odd" and I'd pass it along.

So I ordered the Carlisle tires from Wmart, nobody could come close to their price. They state "free shipping" on the website re the tires. Ok, good. I get into the order process and enter my information and the "free shipping" changes to "shipping not available, store pickup only". Really? It's not like I'm in the middle of nowhere with no UPS or FedEx around, but whatever. So I'm thinking maybe the reasoning is that they are using their own trucks to move them around from warehouse to stores, but in that case why did they offer "free shipping" in the first place? Fine, so I have to go get them, 10 minutes each way. Today I get a notice that they have been shipped, by FedEx. Oh well, at least it's to our local smaller and nicer food mart than the horrible "super center" across town. Anyway, excited for new tires.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:57 AM   #2
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Well, Well, if I recall you have some left over popcorn to enjoy while you are waiting . OH just thought of something, better check to make sure you ordered all 4 or 5 in the same color, much faster to mount and balance. I bet you are excited this is almost over
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:26 AM   #3
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
Well, Well, if I recall you have some left over popcorn to enjoy while you are waiting . OH just thought of something, better check to make sure you ordered all 4 or 5 in the same color, much faster to mount and balance. I bet you are excited this is almost over
I only got two. I'm going to wait for the price to go down some more to do the other side.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:26 AM   #4
canesfan

Just KIDDING!!! ^^^
Old 03-20-2017, 11:15 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
Just KIDDING!!! ^^^

Boy I'm glad!! I read your first post about 2 tires and said Whaaaattt?? I was about to respond then read your 2nd post. I do hope you got them all in the same color to expedite installation
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:18 AM   #6
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Really canesfan

Remember when you have four tires on the rig and only buy two it only adds levels of confusion for the installer like which one and where. Now in my case I am only buying one tire for the spare and red for emergency. Well that is if gets warm enough to get the spare down from under the Raptor

Congrats on your two new tires , sorry I mean 4 or maybe 5
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-20-2017, 02:23 PM   #7
Pull Toy

Reminds me of the NAVY.... I switch out tires by Port and Starboard!

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:03 PM   #8
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Toy View Post
Not forward or aft.

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
Retired from Armstrong World Industries
Retired Period, But Not From Life
2007 Toyota Tundra
2017 Keystone Hideout 22KBSWE
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:08 PM   #9
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Talk about popcorn? I can't even imagine how many new Rvers are going to be confused by this...but red for emergency would help keep straight which was the spare.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2017 3500HD Silverado LTZ

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:18 PM   #10
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Talk about popcorn? I can't even imagine how many new Rvers are going to be confused by this...but red for emergency would help keep straight which was the spare.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2017 3500HD Silverado LTZ
Yeap you got it, and better yet if as previously stated you were old Navy, port and Starboard colors would make installing ties fool proof.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:08 AM   #11
gkainz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Toy View Post
And only following GQ protocols ... "up and forward starboard, down and aft port"
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:14 AM   #12
CWtheMan

Just an info note:

The Carlisle tire warranty is for a period of two years from the date purchased. If you do not keep the bill of sale with a date on it the warranty is from the date of manufacturer listed on the tire’s sidewall.

Maxxis, on the other hand have a 6 year warranty. But, it is always from the date manufactured.

Bottom line, have the retailer/wholesaler provide a copy of the warranty for the tires you purchase.

Maybe that will help a little with the price differential between those two tires. And, being China made, the Carlisle tire tariffs may be much less than those from other Asian countries.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:44 PM   #13
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Just an info note:

The Carlisle tire warranty is for a period of two years from the date purchased. If you do not keep the bill of sale with a date on it the warranty is from the date of manufacturer listed on the tire’s sidewall.

Maxxis, on the other hand have a 6 year warranty. But, it is always from the date manufactured.

Bottom line, have the retailer/wholesaler provide a copy of the warranty for the tires you purchase.

Maybe that will help a little with the price differential between those two tires. And, being China made, the Carlisle tire tariffs may be much less than those from other Asian countries.
May find this interesting.
During a visit to China in April 2015, Van Ormer saw many new lines of ST products, but says he is aware of only one manufacturer that has “truly changed” the technology of the ST tires. That manufacturer is Carlstar Group LLC, formerly CTP Transportation Products and before that, Carlisle Transportation Products. “With the RH (radial) and LH (bias) trailer tires, they beefed up the bead and sidewall packages so that few others can compete quality-wise with them,” Van Ormer says.

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/arti...rying-capacity

The new HD tires are even better....

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:44 PM   #14
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
During a visit to China in April 2015, Van Ormer saw many new lines of ST products, but says he is aware of only one manufacturer that has “truly changed” the technology of the ST tires. That manufacturer is Carlstar Group LLC, formerly CTP Transportation Products and before that, Carlisle Transportation Products. “With the RH (radial) and LH (bias) trailer tires, they beefed up the bead and sidewall packages so that few others can compete quality-wise with them,” Van Ormer says.

Makes sense as I've read older forum threads discuss how bad Carlisle tires used to be. The quality turn around must of happened just shortly before 2013/14 as I've read "trashing" reviews on Carlisle ST tires around the 2010/2011 time frame. Goodyear Marathons had similar reviews.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:02 PM   #15
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post

Tom Van Ormer;

Director of Purchasing at East Bay Tire.

http://www.eastbaytire.com/

Well, lookie there, Carlisle tire is one of their brands.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:21 PM   #16
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Tom Van Ormer;

Director of Purchasing at East Bay Tire.

http://www.eastbaytire.com/

Well, lookie there, Carlisle tire is one of their brands.
Yeah, business interest for sure. But the wholesaler procures tires from many of the national brands. A free marketing plug for Carlisle brand tires may just be an honest opinion on a quality product his company represents.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:50 AM   #17
canesfan

Well, I picked mine up yesterday. Ordered Sunday, shipped Monday, arrived Tuesday, 3 days earlier than they were "supposed" to. Not bad for Wmart. 4 month old date codes, all the same. Oh well, I'll take it. I'm not going to spend months hunting for a 3 week old date code and it's highly unlikely I'll have this trailer til the tires need replacing again.

For all those interested, they are all black. So no confusion as to which tire to put where.

Edit - When I was hunting for the date code, it's only on one side and that side was down on the tire on top of the pile, we saw a number that was QC4717 or something like that stamped onto the tire. I had told the girl about date codes and I wanted to check them before I accepted them. She saw the number and said something like, "oh look, this tire hasn't even been made yet".
Old 03-22-2017, 06:04 AM   #18
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Congrats and Thanks for the timely update related to color coding Since white crap gone, at least for now, crawled under Raptor to get old (one of the original China bombs) spare out. Today or tomorrow to get Carlisle Radial Trail HD st235/85R16 F balanced and mounted.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:04 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Canesfan,

Thanks for the info on the mfg date. As a comment, I don't think you'll ever find tires as "fresh" as 3 weeks. Thinking about it, they're made in China, have to sit "waiting transportation", get loaded onto a ship, "slow boat from China" to the US, get unloaded, "waiting for transportation" to a warehouse, then shipped to a distributor, then to WalMart, then sit until you order them, then shipped to the store....

Seems likely that would be a 2 or 3 month process for "normal operations", although it could be faster, probably not likely. I'd guess your tires are about as fresh as should be expected, and certainly much better than tires with a mfg date of a year or more ago....

Keep us posted on how the install goes and how much clearance loss you have in your wheel wells compared to the 10 ply and the new 12 ply tires.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:25 AM   #20
canesfan

John, you are correct about the transit time. I was using the "3 week" figure randomly, but you do make a good point for others to consider as to what kind of date to expect. I'm satisfied overall with the whole process ordering them from Wmart and that price.

One note to others, when she was making sure I had all the paperwork for "each" tire, they were shipped "per tire", not as a set of 4, she mentioned that if I had any problems with them that I needed to take them back to the "super center" for any returns or refunds. Apparently the "Neighborhood Markets" can not handle returns on tires. Not a big deal, but good to know.

John, I went with the 80s. I was just not comfortable with the clearance on the slide side with the 85s. After studying my numbers over and over and over I made that decision, no matter how hard. Per all my calculations and with my trailer loaded as per normal for me, I have, with "new" tires, 3520 max load per tire - 2665 load per tire per cat scale - which leaves me with 880 reserve per tire or ~ 25%. The 2665 per tire is taken from the axle weight divided by 4, I know it is not "exact" per tire but it gives me a good idea where I am. I still have a few days to change my mind but I'm pretty sure this is what makes me comfortable. If I had another inch on the slide side I would almost certainly have gone with the 85s. But it is what it is.

Tags
tires