Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2017, 01:25 PM   #1
JimHam

Lifting Batteries

I converted to two 6 volt Interstate Golf Cart batteries on my Cougar and I am struggling with getting them in and out of my unit. I have strained my back installing and removing the batteries because you have to bend over and try to get the heavy batteries back under the front cap and into the rack. I am designing a "mini" engine lift so I can pick up the batteries with it, roll them out to my unit and lower them in place with a winch. My winter project. When lifting the batteries I have been using a clamp on strap but it does not fit well and is not secure. Been looking at the Trojan strap with hooks on the ends. Question is Do the hooks go into the plastic tabs on the top of the battery and are those strong enough to hold the weight. They look like they would break off to me. See photo below - I am talking about the plastic tabs on top of the battery case near the white caps.
JimHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:55 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm really interested in what you develop. I also have a problem lifting the 6 volt batteries into my battery box, which is in the front compartment. Like you, it's a physical challenge lifting them into the box while bent over, twisted around and trying not to get battery acid on my clothing.

To answer your question about the Trojan battery straps, yes the end hooks do slip into the plastic tabs (slots) on the battery top. They are much stronger than they look, I've never had one break on me. The problem is that the Trojan straps are a bit longer than the battery, and they "curve to allow a hand hold". For my application, they were a bit too long, so I modified one by cutting about 4" off the strap. Now, it's barely long enough, but there's not as much space between the battery and the winch hook. I barely have enough space for the battery to clear the upper bulkhead and the top of the battery box, but it does fit --- BARELY---.

What I finally did was drill two holes in the angle iron "framework" for the upper deck and ran a piece of 3/8" threaded rod between the two iron pieces. I slipped a piece of 3/8" tubing over the threaded rod ( to roll with the strap and to protect the strap from the threaded rod. I use a 1" ratchet strap attached to a hole in the pinbox to "ratchet the battery" into position over the battery box, then reverse the ratchet strap while holding it tightly and let the battery slowly lower into the box. It's worked fairly well, but I'd be interested in a simpler way to lift them in and out of the trailer.

Keep us posted as your work continues, I know of more than one fifth wheel owner who'd be interested !!!

Oh, Trucker Lou, a member here, posted pictures a couple years ago of his "pulley system"... I'll try to find that thread and post a link if I can locate it.

ADDED: The pictures of that pulley system are in post #26 here: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...6486#post66486

The pulley system Trucker Lou devised wouldn't work on my Cougar, I don't have enough "headroom" between the battery box and the pulley support. What I did was use the pulley support (the round rod between the two blue side attachments) as a pulley and ran a 1" webbing strap over that rod and used that to lift my batteries. The webbing strap is temporarily attached to a bolt hole on the pin box and I just "ratchet up the battery" and push it into position over the battery box.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:55 PM   #3
66joej

Agree with John the tabs are for lifting the 6 volt batteries. I made a device from a light chain with hooks at each end with a piece of plastic pipe in between. Have been doing it this way for years. Mind you I have a TT so makes it easy to put batteries in the tongue box.
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:09 PM   #4
Murphsmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Agree with John the tabs are for lifting the 6 volt batteries. I made a device from a light chain with hooks at each end with a piece of plastic pipe in between. Have been doing it this way for years. Mind you I have a TT so makes it easy to put batteries in the tongue box.
Do you have a photo?
Murphsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:28 PM   #5
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphsmom View Post
Do you have a photo?
We are in a brutal cold snap right now. But will post a picture when I can get out to the shed.
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:19 AM   #6
Murphsmom

That would be great! Thanks in advance.
Murphsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:53 AM   #7
hankaye

JimHam, Howdy;

What I did when I needed to replace the 6v batteries was lay out some
cardboard (my RV sits on gravel), lower the batteries onto the cardboard
and then slide them to the position where I can lift them into the battery
box. The box is fastened down to the floor of the front storage compartment
right under the connecting rod that drives the front legs. Truly a knuckle
busting, skin ripping arrangement. So, I undo the connecting rod, then
while on my knees (on the cardboard), I lift the batteries into position and
lower them into their new home. I keep some cardboard in the storage
bay for when I do my monthly battery level checks. Sur makes the knnes
feel better when I'm done.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:50 AM   #8
JimHam

My Cougar travel trailer has the battery rack behind the two gas tanks and it is back under the overhang on the front cap. Not easy to negotiate a 6v battery back in there. When I get the lift built I will share . . . uh, I mean patent it and sell the design. ;-)

I'm a little gunshy cause I designed and fabricated a double step dog ramp that folded up on the transom of my duck boat. That fall I met the owner of the boat co. at the ramp of a marsh I was hunting. I noticed him looking long and hard at my folding dog step. I even asked him if he liked it and he complimented me on the design. About a year later I saw the same folding step with a couple modifications on their new boats.
JimHam is offline   Reply With Quote