Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2016, 12:23 PM   #1
Jas1234on

Any buyers remorse. Pain to own or pull

I am deciding between a keystone carbon 357 or similar size fifth wheel toy hauler. This will be my biggest camper. I have a 2016 3500 8ft box crew cab srw duramax. 4000 payload 17,200 fith wheel capacity

The intent is to take long weekend trips. They could consist of Atv trips or just camping in random state parks.

Does anyone feel after they purchased....it's to much of a pain to hook up and go? Or to stressful to travel with?

Any advise would be great!! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Jas1234on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 04:02 PM   #2
GaryWT

Re: Any buyers remorse. Pain to own or pull

We have a 35 foot TT. I love towing it. Easy to hookup. We do 2 night or 3 night weekends for the most part. Also did 2 different weeks this year. We were out every weekend but 2 from May 1 to mid Oct. never a problem getting on the road.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 04:27 PM   #3
roadglide

There big and some what hard to get into many state parks , I do it all the time pushing my luck. The up side you can go place where most class A would never go. Im looking at Class A but something small ,rommy diesel with some ground clearance with no luck.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 04:44 PM   #4
m&m

We camped for years with a TT 27', 36' ( towed great )and now have a 40' 5th. The larger the toy the fewer the sites. Wife wanted more room for the loooooooog trips. Only regrets is loosing some of our old parks. Had to buy a Truck to pull this thing. Looking at 5-6 months out at a time. Loving life with the new toys.
MHO do it and enjoy.
m&m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 05:21 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

We have had trailers or motorhomes since the early 70's. About 1994 we decided that we wanted to try a different vacation lifestyle, so we sold the motorhome and started flying to vacation sites, staying a week at a time in hotels/resorts and flying back home. It was "different" for a while, but we found that we missed being able to pop a bag of popcorn, fix a late night snack, sleep in our own bed and not listen to the drunks in the hallway at 2AM, so after a year or so of that kind of "leisure activity" we bought another trailer and probably won't give it up until the kids (or the court) make us also give up our driver's license.

So, as for "buyer's remorse", ours wasn't when buying an RV, but when we sold it and realized what we were missing.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 05:26 PM   #6
gearhead

Yeah, I have spoiled my wife with all the room for storage and the comfort. I'm not a fan of RV parks at all. State Parks, COE parks, or national parks are my idea of "camping". Some state parks and national parks have very few spots that I fit.
I wish I had a smaller 5th with higher quality. I've looked at Northwoods on their website, but not sure they are any better. Smaller and high quality don't seem to go together.
I really like my recently acquired cabover but the DW is not fond of it.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 06:23 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

You have another post inquiring about your truck vs the 357. THAT will be the issue about not having fun towing....if you overload yourself.

We've had various RVs for the last 37 years. Took time off from them to do the condo, hotel route to do away with what we thought was the "work" of doing the RV. We are now back to the RV and love it. As John mentioned, there are lots of downsides to going places without your own "house". We always loved going to the San Luis resort in Galveston. Always stayed on the VIP floor at the top, until....took the grandgirls with us and going into our room you would choke on the smell of weed. I complained to the front desk and was told....it IS the VIP level. I've not been back since....and bought a new RV.

Regrets? None. Fit your truck to your RV, pay attention to details and do your maintenance. After that it's just....have fun!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 06:55 PM   #8
Jas1234on

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
You have another post inquiring about your truck vs the 357. THAT will be the issue about not having fun towing....if you overload yourself.

We've had various RVs for the last 37 years. Took time off from them to do the condo, hotel route to do away with what we thought was the "work" of doing the RV. We are now back to the RV and love it. As John mentioned, there are lots of downsides to going places without your own "house". We always loved going to the San Luis resort in Galveston. Always stayed on the VIP floor at the top, until....took the grandgirls with us and going into our room you would choke on the smell of weed. I complained to the front desk and was told....it IS the VIP level. I've not been back since....and bought a new RV.

Regrets? None. Fit your truck to your RV, pay attention to details and do your maintenance. After that it's just....have fun!

Agree. I need to find a manufacturer that has a fifth wheel toy hauler that I can accommodate. Does not look like much out there. Will keep looking. Glad to hear all the great experiences. Thanks everyone for the feedback!!

Old 11-05-2016, 07:09 PM   #9
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas1234on View Post
They could consist of Atv trips or just camping in random state parks.

Does anyone feel after they purchased....it's to much of a pain to hook up and go? Or to stressful to travel with?
As big as these TH 5th wheels can get, you might have regrets when traveling into many (if not most) state parks. The parks are just not set up for towering, extended length trailers.

As first time buyers, this was our first RV season ever. A 2 slide, 35 foot travel trailer was required for our growing family. We could have gone bigger, higher, heavier, etc, etc. In rectrospect, I'm glad we didn't. Most of the camping that we like to do are at Michigan state parks for long weekends.

Moving a 15K lb, 40 foot, 13' tall TH in and out of camping sites within parks along the western coast of Michigan would take some crafty maneuvering and blessings from above. I couldn't even fathom backing into a site in Ludington SP, one of Michigan's splendid parks. Our short height (10'8") trailer took some encouragement to park it successful, like 30 minutes worth. We saw a few 5th wheels, but none longer than ours. Remember, on top of the RV's length, its height can be just as prohibited.

Good luck in your new trailer purchase. Just be aware that state parks are not as friendly to those large units as private RV properties may be. Just depends what your objectives are.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 07:18 PM   #10
Jas1234on

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
As big as these TH 5th wheels can get, you might have regrets when traveling into many (if not most) state parks. The parks are just not set up for towering, extended length trailers.

As first time buyers, this was our first RV season ever. A 2 slide, 35 foot travel trailer was required for our growing family. We could have gone bigger, higher, heavier, etc, etc. In rectrospect, I'm glad we didn't. Most of the camping that we like to do are at Michigan state parks for long weekends.

Moving a 15K lb, 40 foot, 13' tall TH in and out of camping sites within parks along the western coast of Michigan would take some crafty maneuvering and blessings from above. I couldn't even fathom backing into a site in Ludington SP, one of Michigan's splendid parks. Our short height (10'8") trailer took some encouragement to park it successful, like 30 minutes worth. We saw a few 5th wheels, but none longer than ours. Remember, on top of the RV's length, its height can be just as prohibited.

Good luck in your new trailer purchase. Just be aware that state parks are not as friendly to those large units as private RV properties may be. Just depends what your objectives are.

Good info! I just wanted to get fifth wheel considering how well they tow. Would like a toy hauler for our side by side. The combination of the 2 = big heavy. Lol. I will keep searching.

Old 11-05-2016, 07:58 PM   #11
roadglide

Quote:
Good info! I just wanted to get fifth wheel considering how well they tow. Would like a toy hauler for our side by side. The combination of the 2 = big heavy. Lol. I will keep searching.

At the time I got the smallest TH fifver Keystone made . I seen where they make a quality 28 ft toy hauler.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 06:23 AM   #12
mfifield01

I think the size depends on where you camp. I agree with an earlier statement about RV parks, I prefer state parks. I find that I just barely fit into sites. I'm just under 32'. Most of the time I hang the back off over the grass/parking block. I would like a smaller TT, but my family wouldn't fit.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:59 AM   #13
2Savages

I have a 40ft Fiver as a first timer from a smaller motorhome. I spend considerable time trying to preview campgrounds to get into. I had 3 sites at a KOA before I could park and will not try to go to National Parks because of low clearances for bridges or no way to turn around. I've had a run in with a tree scraping my decals and had to reconnect to get enough room to open slides between trees. A 40ft rig is more a full time adventure and not so much for the weekend and short vacations. A lot of expense to tow and come back for short trips. Probably could handle 32 to 36 footer better for what we do.
2Savages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:47 AM   #14
Jas1234on

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Savages View Post
I have a 40ft Fiver as a first timer from a smaller motorhome. I spend considerable time trying to preview campgrounds to get into. I had 3 sites at a KOA before I could park and will not try to go to National Parks because of low clearances for bridges or no way to turn around. I've had a run in with a tree scraping my decals and had to reconnect to get enough room to open slides between trees. A 40ft rig is more a full time adventure and not so much for the weekend and short vacations. A lot of expense to tow and come back for short trips. Probably could handle 32 to 36 footer better for what we do.

So if NP and ST is where we look to go then bumper pull is better. Lower / smaller. Say a 32-35 footer? Only issue I a very worried about is easy of tow. Sway and other. Fiver seems easier.

Old 11-06-2016, 09:30 AM   #15
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
So if NP and ST is where we look to go then bumper pull is better. Lower / smaller. Say a 32-35 footer? Only issue I a very worried about is easy of tow. Sway and other. Fiver seems easier.

I have a 36 foot Impact bumper pull. We like it a lot and have not had an issue with length at the state parks we have been in. We like full hook ups, so we didn't even consider a NP when we went to Yellowstone and Mt. Rushmore this summer. This was a good fit for us and has a 12 foot garage area. I've been pleased with how it tows. I don't have experience with a 5th wheel yet to give you a comparison. Tour truck would be enough for the truck you have. A bumper pull is not necessarily a downgrade or harder. You'd have to decide that for yourself.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:43 AM   #16
mfifield01

Quote:

I would go with 30' or less for NP and SP.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2016, 10:09 AM   #17
busterbrown

Quote:
Only issue I a very worried about is easy of tow. Sway and other. Fiver seems easier.
Take a look at the Propride and Hensley Arrow hitches. These hitches "eliminate" trailer sway by the inherent design, unlike all other sway control hitches that just "react to" or "reduce" sway. Both are substantially more expensive than the Equalizer's, Blue Ox's, Reese's Dual Cam, and Husky's. But what you get is a trailer that pulls like a 5th wheel. If you pair it with a tow hauler in the form factor of a pull behind (check out the Impact line-up), your 1 ton will pull it like it wasn't even there.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:16 AM   #18
rnkburg

I have the 300mp raptor. It's 36 ft. Yes you have to be aware of the campsites you choose. It if you are going to the same ones over an over then you know which to get and which to stay away from. I would also be aware of the garage size with a sxs. My raptor has a 10ft garage and certain sxs won't fit in there even the two seat ones. Make sure you load the sxs before you buy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 04:04 PM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

With a good hitch your 1 ton will tow a bumper pull without any issues at all. If you are wanting to stay in NP and SP, smaller is better.

Pick out some/all of the parks you think you want to visit and pull up their websites or call them to see what fits. 35' can get really tight and 30-32' would probably be better. Then again, you have to be able to fit the family and have the amenities you want as well. All of it, truck/trailer/camping is a balancing act.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 05:14 PM   #20
Jas1234on

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
Take a look at the Propride and Hensley Arrow hitches. These hitches "eliminate" trailer sway by the inherent design, unlike all other sway control hitches that just "react to" or "reduce" sway. Both are substantially more expensive than the Equalizer's, Blue Ox's, Reese's Dual Cam, and Husky's. But what you get is a trailer that pulls like a 5th wheel. If you pair it with a tow hauler in the form factor of a pull behind (check out the Impact line-up), your 1 ton will pull it like it wasn't even there.

Thanks I have seen these. No experience on how good...but I can't stand trailer sway. Not fun at all.