Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2011, 07:01 AM   #1
hsmunoz

mounting stuff on rubber roofs?

Hi everyone. I am thinking about adding some solar panels to the Alpine, but I have never worked with a rubber roof before. what's the magical trick for mounting stuff up there?
thanks
hsmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:18 AM   #2
Maxzd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmunoz View Post
Hi everyone. I am thinking about adding some solar panels to the Alpine, but I have never worked with a rubber roof before. what's the magical trick for mounting stuff up there?
thanks
I am 80% done mounting solar panels on my RV. Have a look in the mods and upgrades forum I posted some pictures. My advice is just be careful and take your time. Once anything is mounted use lots of sealant over brackets, screws etc...

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Maxzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
hsmunoz

I saw the pics mate, nice job, but if the roof is rubber, what did you anchor the home made Z brackets too?
TIA
hsmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:32 PM   #4
Maxzd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmunoz View Post
I saw the pics mate, nice job, but if the roof is rubber, what did you anchor the home made Z brackets too?
TIA
I will be anchoring them right thru the roof membrane into the plywood using lag bolts for each panel. The lag bolts I bought have a gasket seal at the end, they're normally used for satellite dish installations. Not necessary just another extra level of prevention. Once that is done, each Z bracket & Lag bolt head will be sealed with Dicor Lap Sealant. I will probably use 1 tube for each solar panel, coating them completely so there is no chance of water getting through front, back, sides or top. It's self leveling and a few hours of good weather it sets up nicely.

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Maxzd is offline   Reply With Quote