Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2015, 08:16 AM   #1
AussieCanadian

Question Power Awning Issue

Hi all,

We recently took delivery of a new 2015 Passport 2400BH. Love the trailer, and it's been very reliable (touch wood) through 6 trips so far.

We have a small issue with the power awning, when opening it. About 1/4 ways when rolling out, there is a loud "bang", almost like the arm is catching on something when it rolls out or something is out of alignment. It doesn't seem to affect anything once open - it just doesn't seem right, and I think an adjustment is required - I want to avoid any damage down the road.

I tried lubricating the arm, as well as playing with the tilt locking adjustment (it is loose when rolling out, so it's not catching on that), but no difference. Trying to avoid having to drag the unit back to the dealer, if I can, hence looking for any other way to adjust the awnings? It is a Dometic 9100 series power awning.

Anyone have similar issues?

Thanks!

AussieCanadian
AussieCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:49 AM   #2
Javi

I'd have the other 1/2 of the WE put the awning out while I watched the awning.. that way I could see what was snagging.. You might have already tried that, if so please disregard...
Old 06-01-2015, 08:53 AM   #3
AussieCanadian

Thanks Javi. I did watch closely, but can't see what's snagging. It's really strange. I'm thinking the vertical rail or awning could be mis-aligned, but I can't tell.

I always let the DW roll the awning out - that's "her job" she says
Old 06-01-2015, 08:56 AM   #4
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieCanadian View Post
Thanks Javi. I did watch closely, but can't see what's snagging. It's really strange. I'm thinking the vertical rail or awning could be mis-aligned, but I can't tell.

I always let the DW roll the awning out - that's "her job" she says
Put your hand lightly on one of the uprights at a time as she cycles the awning.. at least you might be able to isolate the thump to one side or the other..
Old 06-01-2015, 10:29 AM   #5
cw3jason

Our Crossroads product had a little drag on the uprights due to flexing of the long awning tube. Yes they unroll with power, but gravity is what really opens the awning if the tube is unrolling, but gravity hasn't pulled it open, when it does, it will free fall until the fabric is taught again causing the bang you discribe. I would just stand in the doorway and give it a little push to help gravity out and overcome any friction in the side rails. What your discribing
Will not damage anything, just note it is gravity that actually opens the awning.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
B&W Patriot 16k fifth wheel hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:20 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Gravity does not open a power awning. Inside the tube is three ribs from where the channels are formed for the splines and such.

The motor has a long shaft that has a three toothed cog. The tips will hit the ribs and turn the tube in the direction needed as the switch is pressed. On some awnings the non powered side will have a spring like a garage door to assist in retracting the awning. The loud bang could be a broken spring.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:18 PM   #7
cw3jason

The tube or roller is powered not the arms. If the tube were to unroll, but the arms did not fall you would have alot of sagging cloth. This is what I meant by gravity. The arms are not powered and can stick then release causing a thud when the cloth is pulled taught again

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
B&W Patriot 16k fifth wheel hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:25 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

I've got the 9100 series and there is no bang when operating..it's very quiet. Use the technique Javi described and you should be able to isolate it to one side or the other if it's banging that loudly. Once you've done that you can begin the inspection. When it is being extended/retracted have you watched the struts to see if one might be binding then suddenly releasing?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 02:42 PM   #9
AussieCanadian

Hi folks,

Thanks for the responses.

@ sourdough, yes - I have watched it, and the strut on the front end of the awning (front of trailer) seems to bind, then releases quickly which creates the banging sound.

Provided it's not going to damage the awning, i'm fine to live with it, but sure would be nice so fix it if possible.

Cheers!
Old 06-01-2015, 03:02 PM   #10
tom37

We have to tighten the tilt knobs in the straight position when rolling the awning in or out. Make sure both arms are extended all the way out. we were having the same problem when left loose.
tom37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 04:22 PM   #11
14george

Mine makes the same noise
Old 06-01-2015, 04:32 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

If the strut is binding it is either a bad strut, not really likely (they usually lose compression but don't "bind" per se normally), or the geometry of the strut in relation to the fixed arm on the trailer and the extending arm are not in the same plane letting it release when they finally reach some point of alignment.

The continued "bang" could potentially be harmful to other components. It will probably shorten the life of the strut and it is an indicator of something out of alignment which could affect other "stuff".

Do you have a bent arm or strut shaft?
Old 06-01-2015, 05:51 PM   #13
therink

I had the same problem. For me the awning fabric needed to be adjusted in the channel that holds the wall side of the fabric. This misalignment caused one of the arms to bind when engaging or disengaging from the fixed arm on the rv wall. I had to slide it forward about 1/2". To slide the fabric I had to remove two set screws, one on each end. Once the fabric was alighned properly, the awningarm moved freely.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:49 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

The manual says the nut should be barely tightened; just enough so it won't rattle but still let the slide bar slide.

**Referring to previous post about tightening the nuts**