Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2015, 02:45 AM   #1
rjsurfer

I need help in figuring out trailer battery wiring

My neighbor recently brought home a Keystone Copper Canyon that had been sitting out in storage for a few years with the battery unhooked.

For some reason he removed all wires from the exposed two circuit breakers (one of which is cracked in half) next to the batteries. Of course being two years later he forgot which wire went where. He said he couldn't get the battery cables off the battery post so he removed everything. When he got it home he then proceeded to remove the battery cables from the battery so he could bring the battery inside to charge it

So I'm looking at a bunch of wires including the two main power cables black and white.

Im thinking the heavy white ground wire has to be tied to frame ground somewhere but for the life of me I can't see where I guess I'll find out where, I'm sure its not connected to the two breakers.

The heavy black 12 volt positive wires must go to one side of each of the two relays and the assorted smaller black wires from the trailer side to the output terminals on the relays. The question is what black wires from the trailer harness to what relay. I'm guessing one relay is to protect the tow vehicle 12 volt line so I can ohm out that line from the trailer plug and connect that to one of the relays. Do the remaining 4 trailer black wires go to the other remaing breaker?

Oh, did I tell you he has a camping trip planned next week.

Any help or links to trailer battery wiring would be appreciated.

Ron W.
700 watts solar
2000 watt inverter
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:33 AM   #2
Ken / Claudia

What a mess you and he have. Sounds to me that is a situation that I would tell your friend go pay the dealer to fix he mess he created. Good luck
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:05 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Based on your description of what seems to be a mess of wires, I'd second Ken's suggestion that it be looked at and re-wired by someone who knows what they are doing. IMO, these kinds of electrical problems are best solved by a person who is both knowledgeable and competent in RV wiring and electrical circuits. "Fiddling around and experimenting" and trying to figure out which wire goes where often has poor and sometimes damaging results or injury.

I think it would be irresponsible for someone who can't even see this "rat's nest of wires" to suggest how to safely re-wire it. While it is the "neighbourly thing to do to try and help", it might not be the safest and best way to solve his problem.

You might try to Google "RV wiring basics" (or something similar) and see what comes up.