Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2015, 12:09 AM   #1
mgdots

Fresh water tank filling while on city water

I have a Fuzion 310. I found that my fresh water tank is slowly filling while the Fill/Normal Flow valve is in the normal flow position. I changed out the 3-way valve and it still filling slowly. The only other way I can see for water to get into the tank is if the water pump is leaking. Does anyone else know what else may be letting the water into the tank?
mgdots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 04:57 AM   #2
jsmith948

I think you have it figured out. There is a check valve at the pump that might have failed. Remove the line on the suction side of the pump and then pressurize the system. You'll need some towels to catch the water.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:20 AM   #3
mgdots

I assume the check valve would be at the pump suction. Are you saying to remove the line and leave the check valve in it and then turn on the water. Once it's pressurized on the normal flow mode if the check valve is bad I will get water leaking by.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:36 AM   #4
jsmith948

Yes. But you might want to go on the pump manufacturer's website and see if there is an exploded view of the pump. I don 't know which pump you have or exactly where the check valve is located. I would think it is internal but could be in the line itself. If the check valve is in the suction line, then my idea won't work. Since you have replaced the 3-way pressure fill valve, I don't see how else the water is getting into the tank.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:10 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Your pump is probably a FLOJET pump. Most of them have the "quick connect, snap-on" connectors. The backflow valve is located inside the pump head. It is "serviceable" but is not replaceable (you'll need to replace the entire pump head). Usually the pump draws water from the tank without a strainer. Occasionally a piece of trash (sawdust or plastic shaving) will get picked up by the pump and as it is pulled through the valve, it gets caught in the valve seat. Then the valve will not close properly and a small leak occurs. Backfilling the water tank is usually caused by this "trash" in the valve.

You can sometimes dislodge it by running the pump and drawing clean water from the fresh water tank, sometimes you would need to disassemble the pump and physically remove the trash from the valve seat. You may find that you need a new pump head if the valve seat is damaged. New pump heads are available online and from most RV parts departments. They are a simple
"one for one" replacement with only a few screws and two water connections required to do the job.

To prevent the next pump from failing, you might want to consider a strainer between the fresh water tank and the pump. FLOJET now has a "clip in" strainer specifically designed to fit the pumps found in most of our Keystone RV's. It is available online and at RV parts departments.

Here is a picture of the strainer. It simply "snaps" into the inlet port on the pump and the water inlet fitting snaps into the strainer. Push the two blue "locking tabs" and you're done. Here's one source and information: http://www.amazon.com/Flojet-0174030...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Attached Images

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:16 AM   #6
mgdots

The pump is not a FloJet. It's a ShurFlo. I'm going to get some pump info and see if there is a checkvalve internal. If not I'll have to go look at the pump and see where they have installed a check valve.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:42 AM   #7
mgdots

I just looked and found that there is a strainer on the suction side of the pump and the pump has an internal check valve. I guess I will remove the suction line from the tank and turn on the water with the system in normal flow mode. If I get water out the suction side then I know the check valve has failed. If that is the case then I'll replace the head on the pump and see where I stand there.
Any other ideas of how the water may be getting in there would be a great help. I have traced the system and can't seem to find any other way.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:51 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

You have found the problem. You might be able to clean the valve as indicated in the manual. Here's the maintenance instructions. Note the last line:

"MAINTENANCE
Normal pump maintenance is all that is needed: Checking and cleaning of the strainer, normal sanitizing and winterizing and occasionally checking all plumbing hardware and fittings for tightness. Lack of sanitizing is the number one reason for premature pump failure and poor performance over time. Lack of sanitizing will cause scale buildup on the diaphragm and valves, causing low flow and leak back [occasional pump cycling with no faucets open or tank filling up when hooked up to city water]"

Scale, according to Shurflo, can be cleaned by "sanitizing the water system". Whether it works or not ???? But at least you've found the issue. Good Luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-16-2015, 06:59 AM   #9
mgdots

Thanks for everyone's input!
Old 01-20-2015, 09:57 PM   #10
audio1der

Did that fix it?
Our tank filled while hooked up to City water our first season due to the check valve in the pump.
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 12:23 AM   #11
mgdots

I have not repaired it yet. I was called out of the country and I'm over in West Africa right now. It has to wait until I get home in February. I'll update this when I get home and get it fixed.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:17 PM   #12
GmaPaTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdots View Post
Thanks for everyone's input!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Your pump is probably a FLOJET pump. Most of them have the "quick connect, snap-on" connectors. The backflow valve is located inside the pump head. It is "serviceable" but is not replaceable (you'll need to replace the entire pump head). Usually the pump draws water from the tank without a strainer. Occasionally a piece of trash (sawdust or plastic shaving) will get picked up by the pump and as it is pulled through the valve, it gets caught in the valve seat. Then the valve will not close properly and a small leak occurs. Backfilling the water tank is usually caused by this "trash" in the valve.

You can sometimes dislodge it by running the pump and drawing clean water from the fresh water tank, sometimes you would need to disassemble the pump and physically remove the trash from the valve seat. You may find that you need a new pump head if the valve seat is damaged. New pump heads are available online and from most RV parts departments. They are a simple
"one for one" replacement with only a few screws and two water connections required to do the job.

To prevent the next pump from failing, you might want to consider a strainer between the fresh water tank and the pump. FLOJET now has a "clip in" strainer specifically designed to fit the pumps found in most of our Keystone RV's. It is available online and at RV parts departments.

Here is a picture of the strainer. It simply "snaps" into the inlet port on the pump and the water inlet fitting snaps into the strainer. Push the two blue "locking tabs" and you're done. Here's one source and information: http://www.amazon.com/Flojet-0174030...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
John, do you know if this strainer will reduce water flow pressure? I'd like to install one of these but don't want to reduce shower pressure.

Steve
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
GmaPaTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 01:40 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmaPaTime View Post
John, do you know if this strainer will reduce water flow pressure? I'd like to install one of these but don't want to reduce shower pressure.

Steve
No, from my experience with them, they are not like a "filter" that can clog with sediment, but are simply a stainless screen that prevents trash from entering the pump. I clean mine every spring when I de-winterize and again in the fall when I winterize. I've never found a problem with reduced water pressure or volume. I've had both the "in line" sureflo strainers and the "clamp on" flojet strainers and have never had a problem with either type.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-07-2015, 02:02 PM   #14
GmaPaTime

Thanks John.... Seems very simple but effective...
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
GmaPaTime is offline   Reply With Quote