Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2014, 02:15 PM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

Propane Tank gauge malfunctioning

Getting ready to leave tomorrow and just thought I would check the propane tanks since we haven't used them since May. I had taken it to the dealership and they said the gauge was fine although I knew I had used quite a bit of propane. The gauge showed green in both directions but when I tapped the left tank it rang like an empty bell. Removed the hoses and opened the valve and.....nothing. I disconnected both hoses and it still shows green. Is don't know much about that kind of gauge other than I figure it works on pressure. Is there some way to check it, am I missing something or does the dealership just have to replace it? Thanks.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 02:34 PM   #2
Javi

I don't think I've ever looked at the gauge... in fact I don't even know if there is a gauge on my tanks.. I just feel of them and fill when they feel empty..
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 02:42 PM   #3
geo

Sourdough -

Propane pretty much keeps a constant pressure until the tank is "empty" - basically low enough that it can't vaporize fast enough to supply a constant pressure. That's why propane gauges are pretty much useless. The best indicator I have found, temperature independent, is a bathroom scale I picked up at Goodwill and store next to the tanks. Look on the valve guard for the "Tare Weight", and write it on the tank with permanent marker for easy reading. I just disconnect my tank, put the old scales on the ground, and set the tank on the scales. Subtract the tare weight from the scale reading, and instantly know how many pounds of propane is left in the tank. In summer, it might get down to 3 or 4 pounds before I refill, and in the winter, around 4 to 6 pounds depending upon how cold it is.

Most reliable way I have found . . .

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 02:50 PM   #4
MarkS

I think you are asking about the propane switch over valve. Green means you have some gas in the selected tank. It may be full, or it may be almost empty. Or anywhere in between.

Red means empty. It does not change to red until the tank is bone empty.

To test it, select a tank and close that valve. Then you have to use some gas. Turn on a burner on the stove. The indicator will turn red.

It's a very dumb gauge. Just refill shortly after it turns red and you will be fine.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 02:58 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks all I had never had a propane "gauge" before and it worked fine early this spring and did show the red when we ran out. This time the red did not show when it ran empty. I think I'm with Javi; I'm just going to keep an eye on them and do it by the seat of the pants like I've always done; eliminates one more thing to malfunction and lead me astray
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:11 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

The modern propane cylinders are designed in such a way that if a discharge hose isn't hooked up, no propane will come out when you open the valve.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 01:31 AM   #7
outwest

From my experience, the gauge just gives you a vague idea of how much you have. I filled both tanks in Houston on a cool morning (not really chilly, but not warm) and according to the gauge, they were both under-filled (even though they weren't). I filled them again in Milwaukee (same amount on dealer's meter) on a slightly warmer day and the gauge showed they were both full. Later, while I was in kansas, it showed both tanks were already empty, but I had forgotten to open the valve on one of the tanks *oops!*

Also worth mentioning - whichever tank the lever is pointed towards is the tank that the meter is showing you the level of (when it decides to tell ya, that is).

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:04 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Actually the red/green indicators on the propane changeover valve that's connected to the regulator aren't a "propane gage" but rather they serve as an indicator that there is "some pressure" in the tank that the valve body is pointing to. If your connect two full propane tanks, turn the selector valve on the changeover regulator to the left tank, the red indicator should be showing. Slowly turn on both propane tanks, starting with the left tank. The red indicator should turn green (indicating propane in the left tank, (tank the selector is pointing to). Then slowly turn on the other propane tank and there should be no change in the indicators.

After using your propane system for a while (longer time in summer than winter) the left propane tank will empty. When that happens, the green indicator will turn red, indicating that the left tank is empty. The changeover valve has changed tanks and the indicator is showing that the left tank has no pressure. If you manually turn the selector to point to the right tank, the red will change to green (indicating pressure in the right tank). At that point, if you refill the left tank, when the right is empty, the changeover valve will again indicate red (no pressure in the right tank) and switch to the left tank.

Turn the selector valve to point to the left tank and the indicator changes from red to green.

As you can see, the red/green indicator does NOT indicate any "volume of propane" as a gage, rather it indicates any pressure remaining in the selected tank. There could be 30 lbs of propane or 0.25 pounds of propane and the indicator would show green , indicating pressure not volume remaining in the tank.

I hope this "kind of clears things up" rather than making it more confusing.

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:49 PM   #9
Keywestparrothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Actually the red/green indicators on the propane changeover valve that's connected to the regulator aren't a "propane gage" but rather they serve as an indicator that there is "some pressure" in the tank that the valve body is pointing to. If your connect two full propane tanks, turn the selector valve on the changeover regulator to the left tank, the red indicator should be showing. Slowly turn on both propane tanks, starting with the left tank. The red indicator should turn green (indicating propane in the left tank, (tank the selector is pointing to). Then slowly turn on the other propane tank and there should be no change in the indicators.

After using your propane system for a while (longer time in summer than winter) the left propane tank will empty. When that happens, the green indicator will turn red, indicating that the left tank is empty. The changeover valve has changed tanks and the indicator is showing that the left tank has no pressure. If you manually turn the selector to point to the right tank, the red will change to green (indicating pressure in the right tank). At that point, if you refill the left tank, when the right is empty, the changeover valve will again indicate red (no pressure in the right tank) and switch to the left tank.

Turn the selector valve to point to the left tank and the indicator changes from red to green.

As you can see, the red/green indicator does NOT indicate any "volume of propane" as a gage, rather it indicates any pressure remaining in the selected tank. There could be 30 lbs of propane or 0.25 pounds of propane and the indicator would show green , indicating pressure not volume remaining in the tank.

I hope this "kind of clears things up" rather than making it more confusing.

Good Luck
Hi John, great explanation, thank you. I have had my auto changeover replaced last year by CW and even had them replace the pig tail from the changeover to the driver side tank (they inspected all other pigtails and components and said they looked good). This was due to the change over not happening automatically and i would have to manually swap the tanks out to get the propane flowing again. Got it back from them, tested while I was there, and all seemed fine. On the passenger side tank, connected to the iron pipe that passes thru the front storage compartment, is a red regulator. I had asked if that could have been a contributor to the flow problem and they said not likely.

Well fast forward 4 months and a cold night at the beach 2 weeks ago, the passengers side tank (even full) was not passing propane to the furnace/stove/etc. I swap the tanks and it works fine again from the drivers side supply pigtail. My question(s) are is it that common for a auto changeover to fail that quick (first one was only 4 years old) this one is 4 months old and hadn't been used but twice in those 4 months. And second, is there anything special about the red regulator on the passenger side that connects to the pigtail and then the tank? I am at the point that I want to take a 6' supply hose and attach it to the passenger side of the auto changeover to eliminate the iron pipe (someone said they could rust and plug) and the red regulator. Maybe I answered my own questions, but I spent all this time typing so I might as well ask the experts

2015 Ford F450 KR CC
2010 Montana 3750FL
------------------------
Previous addictions...
2008 Ford F350 6.4 KR CC
2008 CC Silverback 32LFGBS TT
2004 Coleman/Fleetwood PU
Keywestparrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:13 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

On RV propane systems with "split tanks" (physically separated with one on each side of the RV) there is a requirement to have a "low flow regulator" on the distant tank. This is supposed to prevent a "massive propane leak" from happening if there is a leak in the black iron pipe between the two tanks. That red "low pressure regulator" has caused a number of problems with the change-over valve and if I were you, that's the first thing I'd change since all the rest has been changed in the past. My guess is that regulator has condensation in it and is either freezing up or gumming up and not allowing the propane to flow to the black iron pipe.

Good Luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:57 PM   #11
Keywestparrothead

Thank you Sir.

2015 Ford F450 KR CC
2010 Montana 3750FL
------------------------
Previous addictions...
2008 Ford F350 6.4 KR CC