Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2014, 09:54 AM   #1
{tpc}

What to do with snow...

Ok I know, its not "snowing" yet. But in a few months, when it is and some of us have to leave our trailers in outside storage, what do you do with the "snow"? This last winter was pretty harsh and if it happens again, it seems to me that 2-3 feet of snow sitting on the roof of the trailer isn't desirable, especially if it melts and freezes into ice and then another 3 feet land on top of it.

Or am I worrying about this for no reason?

I also doubt that using a "roof" scraper like mine might use on a home roof would be a better option since it will surely tear the rubber roof.

Just wondering what everyone does.
{tpc} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:01 AM   #2
Javi

Around here we take the day off work, close the schools and get out the camera to take pictures of this once in a lifetime event... Oh... and people go crazy on the streets...
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:25 AM   #3
SAABDOCTOR

Gee Javi they do that here too. it just happens twice a week though!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:28 AM   #4
SAABDOCTOR

TPC ok your crazy! too warm to worry about snow.Please do not scrape your roof! you will most likely break something you did notsee,tear the rubber roof or poss. fall off the roof seems to hold a massive amount of snowas long as it is standing still.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:54 PM   #5
MadMax

Snow On RV Roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
Ok I know, its not "snowing" yet. But in a few months, when it is and some of us have to leave our trailers in outside storage, what do you do with the "snow"? This last winter was pretty harsh and if it happens again, it seems to me that 2-3 feet of snow sitting on the roof of the trailer isn't desirable, especially if it melts and freezes into ice and then another 3 feet land on top of it.

Or am I worrying about this for no reason?

I also doubt that using a "roof" scraper like mine might use on a home roof would be a better option since it will surely tear the rubber roof.

Just wondering what everyone does.

I, also am wondering what to do. This upcoming winter will be my first for storing the trailer 'outside'. I agree that scraping snow off of the roof doesn't sound like a great option. I was thinking of putting an RV cover over my fifth wheel. This keeps the 'crud' off the sides, etc. but won't make the snow slide off.
I'm interested in the forum response to this also.

Don, Pearl, Zack, Magic & Brodie
2008 Cougar 289BHS (33' 5er)
2002 GMC Sierra CC 4WD, Diesel
Hijacker - Slider hitch

Previous RV's
Tent, Hard-top Tent Trailer, Chinook 10.5' Camper, 13' Citation TT, 1976 Diplomat Motor Home
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:48 PM   #6
pjhansman

I live in an area that get a lot of snow. At least once a year I have to get the snow off it....or suffer the consequences of an early spring rain.

Typically I use a home-built "T" (essentially made from a chunk of 1x6 and a wooden rake handle) and carefully pull the snow off, working from a ladder.

And yes, I'm pulling the snow on to myself.

And yes, I'm sure there's a better way.

On a positive note.....the snow is great for blocking all those nasty UV rays that destroy your roof
MOR/ryde Wet Bolt Kit, TST 507 TPMS, 1000w PSW Inverter, JT's Strongarm Stabilizers, and the list goes on....
Yamaha EF3000iSE/B Inverter Generator
pjhansman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:24 AM   #7
{tpc}

Thanks for the replys. Yes I know its too early to even be worrying about it. Just trying to prepare is all. I am thinking that a squeegee style T may be the safest way to remove some snow. I don't think I would try and take it all the way down to the roof, but maybe push or pull a little bit off the top.

As for as covering, the only thing I am considering covering are the tires, and even then I am unsure why I am doing so. Heard too many bad things about the covers creating more damage then not.
{tpc} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:44 AM   #8
hankpage
Site Team

"A little off the top" is something I haven't told a barber in over twenty years. ... Any way .... The roof of a trailer can safely handle snow loads since the weight is spread out over only an eight foot wide span. (it is unlikely that snow will stack very high in that span) I live in a windy area so I am not a fan of RV covers. (too much chafing on sides and roof edges)
As for tire covers .... I have never heard of any negative affects and they do keep UV from tires. JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:11 AM   #9
SAABDOCTOR

x2 on what Hank just said
Old 07-30-2014, 06:29 AM   #10
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile Which pile

Here in the Northeast seems like we only get concerned when we are not sure what pile the trailer is in
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:05 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Do a forum search for SNOW LOAD and you'll get a number of responses. In one of them (around Jan 2012) there's a post that relates the water load to the snow load (melting snow weight) and give a pretty convincing argument to "not worry until the accumulation is about 3-4' deep. Most of us, even in the upper US and Canada won't see that kind of snow load with the blowing winds and drifting.

If it's got to be outside, I wouldn't worry too much, even in upper Michigan last year with our "record snowfall" I never saw an RV around this area with more than 1 to 2 feet of snow accumulation. That's on RV's parked around the lake with owners who do their "suffering" in Florida from December through April.

One point, if you're the type that wants ventilation in your RV, as soon as the snow covers your roof vents, they are effectively closed for the season.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:17 PM   #12
pjhansman

The problem is not necessarily the depth of snow....but whether you've experienced any of the winter "melt downs" that lower the depth but significantly add to the weight of the snow. Add some rain to that and you have a recipe for disaster.

Its a personal choice. I live in the bush and the wind doesn't get to my 5ver. When the snow gets to a couple feet deep, as it does every winter, I clean it off.
MOR/ryde Wet Bolt Kit, TST 507 TPMS, 1000w PSW Inverter, JT's Strongarm Stabilizers, and the list goes on....
Yamaha EF3000iSE/B Inverter Generator
pjhansman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:26 PM   #13
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
"A little off the top" is something I haven't told a barber in over twenty years. ... Any way .... The roof of a trailer can safely handle snow loads since the weight is spread out over only an eight foot wide span. (it is unlikely that snow will stack very high in that span) I live in a windy area so I am not a fan of RV covers. (too much chafing on sides and roof edges)
As for tire covers .... I have never heard of any negative affects and they do keep UV from tires. JM2˘, Hank

BTW I can't wait for the snow and winter, all this nice weather is getting to me
Old 07-31-2014, 09:14 AM   #14
Jager

Back in the day when i stored it outside I too cleaned it off. We get the case you described often these days, 3' of snow, then a thaw, then it freezes and we get another 3' of snow. IMO this is way more weight than they designed these things to handle and it can't be good for the roof.

I have since built a garage large enough to handle any camper or RV I have or get in the future. It is simply amazing home much cleaner and nicer the campers stay (with age) when they are in doors when not in use. If you can afford a real garage I wouldn't hesitate to get one of those very nice half round shelters to store your camper in.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:24 PM   #15
MadMax

What to do with snow

Because of this discussion I decided to ask one of our RV dealers here in my city. I figured they have lots of RVs on their lot all winter long - what do they do? The answer was that they do nothing unless it gets very deep on top. Then they use a fairly stiff bristle brush and gently remove some of the snow but ensure they leave about a foot or so above each of the vents, air conditioners, antennae, etc. They are also fortunate that their location is in a large open area where the wind also helps keep the snow load down.
This sold me. So now I won't be buying a 'cover'. Instead I am installing MaxxAir Vent Covers over my vents to help prevent any cracking and will watch/remove excess snow as required.

Don, Pearl, Zack, Magic & Brodie
2008 Cougar 289BHS (33' 5er)
2002 GMC Sierra CC 4WD, Diesel
Hijacker - Slider hitch

Previous RV's
Tent, Hard-top Tent Trailer, Chinook 10.5' Camper, 13' Citation TT, 1976 Diplomat Motor Home
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote