Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2014, 08:03 PM   #1
J&A

Torque wrench on sale again at HFT!

If you missed the early June sale and you still need a decent Torque Wrench to test and tighten up you wheels' lug nuts, then you may want to consider buying one now for $11.99 with coupon at Harbor Freight Tools.

In search of my next RV
SOLD! - 2013 Terrain 299TBH
SOLD! - 2002 Chevy Tahoe 5.3L
J&A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:48 AM   #2
{tpc}

I bought one of these awhile back. To be honest, I'm not 100% pleased with its operation. Often times it "slips" since it is also a ratcheting type wrench, and sometimes, usually on the very first lug I try it on, the "click" feature doesn't work until I mess with it a bit.

The higher torque ranges above 110 ft lbs seem questionable to work at best.
{tpc} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:31 PM   #3
Desert185

I wasn't going to say anything, but my dad told me a long time ago to buy a good tool the first time or you'll end up buying it twice. Get a good torque wrench and pass it down to the kid(s).

I still have a lot of my dad's tools from a long time ago. I think of him every time I use them.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:08 PM   #4
GaryWT

I have never owned one but they seem to go for a lot more than $12.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:21 PM   #5
Desert185

They can be expensive. I happened to run across a Snap On in a pawn shop a number of years ago. Little less than half price. Had the calibration checked and it was right on the money. If its worn out, buy it and have the Snap On guy fix it for free. You never know what you're going to find at the pawn or garage sale. Don't waste money on a HF torque wrench.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:53 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Most of us will spend $10 or 15 on a gadget that catches our eye in the RV store, use it once, find out we "don't like it", toss it in the front storage compartment and never pull it out again.

Harbor Freight torque wrenches are not the "best that money can buy" and as stated previously, even "Snap-On" wrenches have to be "given to the Snap-On guy to be repaired at times.

According to the specs at the HF site, the 1/2" wrench has a tolerance of +/- 4% with a range of 20-150 ft lbs. It also has a lifetime warranty. So, even if it's not "Snap-On quality", at the price, it's better than not having a wrench and "hand torqueing" the lug nuts.

With Keystone's recommended lug nut torque range of 110-120 FtLbs, setting the wrench (any wrench) to 115 FtLbs will get you as close as necessary. At 4% tolerance, a setting of 115 FtLbs would give a range of 110.4 - 119.6. Few of us have a "calibrated wrist" and can torque our lugs to the proper torque without a wrench. Since over-torqueing is as damaging to the lugs as under-torqueing is to potential wheel separation, it's better to have a "lesser quality wrench" than to have none at all. BTW, Snap-On and CDI have the same 4% tolerance rating.

I'd think (IMHO) that spending the $11.99 at HF and getting a "better than nothing" wrench would give you something to use while looking at those garage sales for a "better wrench".

As for the wrench with the ratcheting problem and that "won't click" on the first lug, it's warrantied for life, take it back the next time you're in Harbor Freight and get a new one. As stated above, even Snap-On sometimes needs to go back to the repair center.

As a comparison, Snap-On "unbranded" wrench, CDI 20-150 FtLb adjustable torque wrench (1503MFRMH) also has a "clockwise" tolerance of +/- 4%, a lifetime warranty and a MSRP of $302.10. (on sale for $149) and the Snap-On branded wrench (QD3150) has the same 4% tolerance and sells at Snap-On for $315.

The choice is really up to each individual, but to not spend the $11.99 because it's "money wasted" while those gadgets are in the front compartment ?????? Hmmmmm

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:49 AM   #7
Desert185

Its better than nothing, but I would still feel better with a Craftsman or equivalent. The 4% accuracy won't help you much if the thing starts ratcheting when you need it. The chances of a higher quality tool doing that out of the box is pretty slim. Chevys and Fords, again...or maybe Yugos.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:20 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

I have built countless engines using my harbor freight torque wrench. Some have over 300,000 miles on them, NONE have come back with failed bearings or gaskets.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:37 PM   #9
Desert185

I used to use bar indicator torques wrenches with good results, but I pretty much moved on to clickers. Whatever you're successful with, I guess.

Have you ever had the calibration checked for consistency over the years, and if so, have they held calibration? Curious...
Old 07-30-2014, 12:52 PM   #10
{tpc}

Sorry wasn't trying to stir the pot, just giving my experience. I could probably go back and get a different one and it would be fine, but who knows.

The couple we have here at work have never suffered the issues I saw with the HF one.
{tpc} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:29 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
I used to use bar indicator torques wrenches with good results, but I pretty much moved on to clickers. Whatever you're successful with, I guess.

Have you ever had the calibration checked for consistency over the years, and if so, have they held calibration? Curious...
As a matter of fact, yes, I have, here's the post from some time ago discussing the results of my HF torque wrench. I was sitting in the PME lab watching a buddy run torque cals on some wrenches used in aircraft maintenance. My HF was, well, you can read the results here in post #44:

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...=torque&page=5

And next month, I'll be taking it back for the fourth "annual calibration check".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-30-2014, 04:01 PM   #12
TLB

You might get lucky buying tools there, but I use my tools everyday to earn a living.

I just buy tarps and wire ties there.

2014 Passport Elite 31RE

2017 2500HD Crew Cab
TLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:19 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

TLB I think it was established early on in discussions of HF tools that they are OK for the "occasional user" or for the "home owner" who doesn't use them frequently. When I worked at Boeing as an inspector, all my tools were Starrett and were run through PME every 90 days. I still have my HF torque wrench checked every year, but if I were using it (or even my hammer) on a daily basis to earn a living, I would be investing in much more expensive equipment with a proven track record. You're probably much better off with quality tools if you use them to earn a living.

But, for the home owner or the RV owner, there's realistically little need for that kind of reliability and durability in tools that are used so infrequently. In fact, if I were still working at Boeing, I would be reluctant to bring my "good tools" home to take on vacation not knowing if they would be dropped or get rained on if a compartment door got left open overnight.

There are definitely places and situations where quality tools are not only warranted, they're "mandatory" but for checking a travel trailer lug nuts? As stated by someone else previously, "Of all the thousands of trailers on the road, just knowing that we even have lug nuts puts us ahead of the rest of the crowd."

HF does have some pretty good buys on tarps and wire ties too LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-30-2014, 05:53 PM   #14
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
As a matter of fact, yes, I have, here's the post from some time ago discussing the results of my HF torque wrench. I was sitting in the PME lab watching a buddy run torque cals on some wrenches used in aircraft maintenance. My HF was, well, you can read the results here in post #44:

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...=torque&page=5

And next month, I'll be taking it back for the fourth "annual calibration check".....
Well, I guess they work for the purpose. Guess I'm a torque wrench snob.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:56 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
Well, I guess they work for the purpose. Guess I'm a torque wrench snob.
Nah, just fortunate enough to have found a cheap Snap-on at a garage sale. LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS