Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2013, 05:36 AM   #1
tileman

Blow out

Going on a 7 day camping trip to Ga
And right around the alapaha river on 75 pop and then I see rubber and a few parts of the trailer fly off

Called coach net a tire guy will be here soon Could of been worse I guess but heck at lest I am still ok.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388410559.335545.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	4704

As I set here thinking maybe I should find a tire store and get 4 new tires on here to be on the safe side.

Sent from my iPhone using
Old 12-30-2013, 06:54 AM   #2
f6bits

I've yet to see a blowout picture without substantial damage. At least you were on the ball and heard/saw it.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:04 AM   #3
Outbackmel

Tire issue

Sorry to hear about your problem. At least you are near Atlanta where services are readily available. One cannot predict when and where the next tire failure may occur. The answer for you is, what is peace of mind worth? If you are constantly thinking another tire is going down, makes for a very tense situation for you and everyone with you. A little birdie will give you personal guidance on making the best choice for you .
When Ford Explorers had Firestone blow out, possible roll over issues, I grounded that vehicle until I replaced all tires , including the spare. On the other side, I once had a blow out on a single axle cargo motorcycle hauler with 1800 pounds of bikes. Had a service call and spare on and never looked back.
Sometimes you do and sometimes you don't.
Safe travels.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:07 AM   #4
sbmarks3

In October this year I had a blowout 100 miles into a 2400 mile trip, it tore up some of the trim on the slide out but not too bad, after changing the tire along side the semi trucks zipping by, We called around and found a Discount tire 50 miles up the road where we had all six tires replaced (but not the spare). We were at Max weight, on close inspection there were tiny cracks in the side walls and the tires were 5 years old. I did not hesitate to replace all of them.
about 28 years ago traveling from AZ to ME I had to replace all four tires on my 26' TT, all four were blow outs, each one in a different state. I ended up with four different brands and four different sizes. Lessons learned. respect the dry rot.
It sucks having a blow out, I hope the damage is minimal. At least it is not raining here in the Atlanta area today. Good luck

2012 F-350 Super Duty King Ranch 6.7 diesel
B&W Roll Over Hitch
2009 Fuzion 403 Toy Hauler 5th wheel
1969 Harley Electraglide (Mine)
2005 Harley Lowrider (The Wife's)
sbmarks3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:40 AM   #5
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tileman View Post
Going on a 7 day camping trip to Ga
And right around the alapaha river on 75 pop and then I see rubber and a few parts of the trailer fly off

Called coach net a tire guy will be here soon Could of been worse I guess but heck at lest I am still ok.

Attachment 4704

As I set here thinking maybe I should find a tire store and get 4 new tires on here to be on the safe side.

Sent from my iPhone using
First off, you should make every effort to determine what caused your tire failure.

Now I have to ask a couple of questions. Does your TH have 2 or 3 axles? What are the axles GAWR ratings? That will be found on the certification label.

The Keystone specs for your year & model trailer are vague and could be inaccurate for a 2 axle configuration.

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:52 AM   #6
tileman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
First off, you should make every effort to determine what caused your tire failure.

Now I have to ask a couple of questions. Does your TH have 2 or 3 axles? What are the axles GAWR ratings? That will be found on the certification label.

The Keystone specs for your year & model trailer are vague and could be inaccurate for a 2 axle configuration.

CW
it's a 2 axle and it sets darn near level and I am about 900lbs under my weight says the Cat scales

Air is at 80 psi

I

Sent from my iPhone
Old 12-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #7
tileman

Blow out

Ok round two made it about 150 miles and pop same side just diff tire.

The tires seam just to blow out from the middle in the tread area.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388429676.937019.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	4705

Sent from my iPhone
Old 12-30-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

The second blowout may well have been triggered by that tire being significantly overloaded when the first tire blew. Internal damage probably was caused by that overloading and after you got underway again, the damage continued to get worse until the tire blew.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:47 PM   #9
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tileman View Post
Ok round two made it about 150 miles and pop same side just diff tire.

The tires seam just to blow out from the middle in the tread area.

Attachment 4705

Sent from my iPhone
OK, here comes the long story. You need to verify the GAWR numbers on your certification label. The label is on the forward external section of the trailer. By regulation the certified GAWR must be used by the manufacturer when fitting tires and rims on your trailer.

The published and archived specs for your particular year and model Fuzion are incorrect which would lead to improper tire fitments.
Dry weight = 12065#
Cargo capacity = 4435#
Hitch weight = 2770#

When I add the dry weight and cargo weight I get a GVWR of 16500".

To determine maximum total GAWR I subtract the hitch weight from the GVWR and get 13720#. So far we are good to go with the 3520# tires. However there are other regulations at work at the same time. Whenever tires of the same size and design have more than one distinct load capacity and are used as Original Equipment all of them must qualify for the axles (GAWR) they serve on. The ST235/80R16E has three distinct load capacities. It is manufactured to meet, 3420#, 3500# and 3520#. Only the last two qualify for service on 7000# GAWR axles. Therefore the vehicle manufacturer must inform NHTSA via letter of the load capacity used for fitment to your GAWR 7000# axles. Notations must be made in the owner's manual and on the trailer's certification label. However, there is another way and it's common and part of the regulation. The trailer manufacturer is allowed to derate the axle and use a GAWR suitable for all three load capacities. Here is another however, as currently depicted in the specs a reduction in GAWR will not work because when I divide 13720 by 2 it is over what 3420# will provide.

There is another "catch 22" here, when I add 2770 to 13680 it comes out to 16450. Another regulation parameter states that the manufacturer's published hitch weight when added to the total GAWR, MUST equal or exceed the trailer's GVWR.

Keystone has a history of providing inaccurate certification labels and have had to issue recalls to correct the problems. Most often they will just redo the figures by reducing cargo capacity and make new figures to fit the situation.

On another note I also suspect your first tire failure caused internal damage to the second tire that failed.

Normally there is a serious under inflation, and/or excess speed condition or both, causing such failures so close together.

CW
Old 12-31-2013, 08:32 AM   #10
tileman

Quote:
OK, here comes the long story. You need to verify the GAWR numbers on your certification label. The label is on the forward external section of the trailer. By regulation the certified GAWR must be used by the manufacturer when fitting tires and rims on your trailer.

The published and archived specs for your particular year and model Fuzion are incorrect which would lead to improper tire fitments.

Dry weight = 12065#

Cargo capacity = 4435#

Hitch weight = 2770#

When I add the dry weight and cargo weight I get a GVWR of 16500".

To determine maximum total GAWR I subtract the hitch weight from the GVWR and get 13720#. So far we are good to go with the 3520# tires. However there are other regulations at work at the same time. Whenever tires of the same size and design have more than one distinct load capacity and are used as Original Equipment all of them must qualify for the axles (GAWR) they serve on. The ST235/80R16E has three distinct load capacities. It is manufactured to meet, 3420#, 3500# and 3520#. Only the last two qualify for service on 7000# GAWR axles. Therefore the vehicle manufacturer must inform NHTSA via letter of the load capacity used for fitment to your GAWR 7000# axles. Notations must be made in the owner's manual and on the trailer's certification label. However, there is another way and it's common and part of the regulation. The trailer manufacturer is allowed to derate the axle and use a GAWR suitable for all three load capacities. Here is another however, as currently depicted in the specs a reduction in GAWR will not work because when I divide 13720 by 2 it is over what 3420# will provide.

There is another "catch 22" here, when I add 2770 to 13680 it comes out to 16450. Another regulation parameter states that the manufacturer's published hitch weight when added to the total GAWR, MUST equal or exceed the trailer's GVWR.

Keystone has a history of providing inaccurate certification labels and have had to issue recalls to correct the problems. Most often they will just redo the figures by reducing cargo capacity and make new figures to fit the situation.

On another note I also suspect your first tire failure caused internal damage to the second tire that failed.

Normally there is a serious under inflation, and/or excess speed condition or both, causing such failures so close together.

CW

That's a ton of info thanks for the time

I tow around 60 - 65 mph no more then that.

As far as air in them I was running 80 psi as said on the tires and my dealer Also said to run when I load up with the bikes .

I did check the air in all four of them at our 1st stop about 75 miles befor the 1st blow out.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 12-31-2013, 09:18 AM   #11
Jim W

They failed because they are just low cost manufactured tires from a third world country. I had one tire failure on my trailer and the cost to repair was in excesses of $3,000 on my trailer. So I replaced them with LT Michelins Ribs tires which fits my trailer and supports the trailer.

I would go and read the Turbo Diesel Register .com Towing, Hauling and RV forum threads on junk third world tires. Here is the link for you:

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...g-and-RV-Forum

Just my $0.02 take it for what it is worth.

Jim W.TDR Member for 6years
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:29 AM   #12
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
They failed because they are just low cost manufactured tires from a third world country. I had one tire failure on my trailer and the cost to repair was in excesses of $3,000 on my trailer. So I replaced them with LT Michelins Ribs tires which fits my trailer and supports the trailer.

I would go and read the Turbo Diesel Register .com Towing, Hauling and RV forum threads on junk third world tires. Here is the link for you:

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...g-and-RV-Forum

Just my $0.02 take it for what it is worth.

Jim W.TDR Member for 6years
A lot of people will look at this post and say "look here, this guy used XPS Ribs on his fiver". The fact is, in this situation, any of the XPS Rib tires are going to provide more load capacity then the Original Equipment ST225/75R15D tires did.

On another note; Just because tires are manufactured in another country doesn't, in itself, brand them as inferior. A great many of the Michelin tires are also made in numerous foreign countries, including China.

CW

p.s. I'm a member of your referenced forum. I post on there using another nick name.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:38 AM   #13
Jim W

Quote:
A lot of people will look at this post and say "look here, this guy used XPS Ribs on his fiver". The fact is, in this situation, any of the XPS Rib tires are going to provide more load capacity then the Original Equipment ST225/75R15D tires did.

On another note; Just because tires are manufactured in another country doesn't, in itself, brand them as inferior. A great many of the Michelin tires are also made in numerous foreign countries, including China.

CW

p.s. I'm a member of your referenced forum. I post on there using another nick name.
I ordered my trailer with ST235/80R16 tires; this was an option in 2010 with the intent of replacing the ST235/80R16 tires with LT245/75R/16 LT tires. I was planning on replacing them after three years of service with the ST tires never made it pass 1-1/2 years. The outside driver side front tire failed causing about $3K in damage. I replaced all of my ST with the Michelins LT when we got home after our three week vacation out west that year.

Now my routine maintenance on the trailer when we are traveling is too check wheel nut torque (static reading) and air pressure (80 psi) every morning before we leave for the next site. I had done this that morning and within 10 min’s after we left the tire had a catastrophic failure. Load explosion and total damage to the trailer; stop ASAP as soon as a semi pass me on the RH side. My tow speed is always 60 MPH since I am retired and we will get there when we get there.

Jim W.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:47 AM   #14
Jim W

Quote:

CW

I also will not own any Bridgestone or Firestone tires I know too much about them from my other dealings in the construction industry and the Ford issues with Firestone. Only tire I will buy for replacement tires is Michelin for all of my vehicles.
Jim W.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:55 PM   #15
C130

I replaced my Carlisle's with the Michelin XPS Ribs and so far I've been happy with them. I had lots of discussions about the weight capacity of the LT vs ST but personally I'm still convinced it's a way better tire and safer for my 5th wheel.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:05 PM   #16
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by C130 View Post
I replaced my Carlisle's with the Michelin XPS Ribs and so far I've been happy with them. I had lots of discussions about the weight capacity of the LT vs ST but personally I'm still convinced it's a way better tire and safer for my 5th wheel.
Isn't the Fuzion 322 a two axle trailer? If so there's no excuse for installing tires with less load capacity than the total GAWR. It's just not safe. Ask Keystone or Michelin, they will tell you the same thing.

CW
Old 01-02-2014, 09:37 PM   #17
Ken / Claudia

I read thru this and may have missed it some where. He said he might get 4 new tires but, Tileman, did you replace all tires after the 1st blow out or not. Was the 2nd blow out on a brand new tire?
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:45 PM   #18
Beerdude41867

Bummer! I almost had a failure on New Years Day, luckily my TPMS alerted me of one of the tires getting a little warm. I got out to check it out, and the two tires on left side were about to fail. They looked exteremely rounded on the tread section. I pushed down on the tread, and it felt hollow for half an inch till it hit the inner carcass. I swapped out the worse of the two with the spare and made it home safely by the grace of God. I ordered and tomorrow will have installed five Goodyear G614's. I wasn't overloaded, 80 psi always and never speed. Junk!
Beerdude41867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:27 PM   #19
Ken / Claudia

Beerdude,
I think you just paid for the cost of the TPMS by not blowing a tire and what else could have happened if it did blow.. I do not have one yet for the trailer but, will before my spring travels.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:40 AM   #20
tileman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerdude41867 View Post
Bummer! I almost had a failure on New Years Day, luckily my TPMS alerted me of one of the tires getting a little warm. I got out to check it out, and the two tires on left side were about to fail. They looked exteremely rounded on the tread section. I pushed down on the tread, and it felt hollow for half an inch till it hit the inner carcass. I swapped out the worse of the two with the spare and made it home safely by the grace of God. I ordered and tomorrow will have installed five Goodyear G614's. I wasn't overloaded, 80 psi always and never speed. Junk!

Glad you saved it befor it blow out on you.
What kind of TPMS do you have can you post a link?