Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2013, 07:36 AM   #1
Tammie

?? Tow Vehicle Needed for Outback 312

We are considering an outback 312bh, but are finding we may need a small tank to pull it. Any suggestions?
Tammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
Javi

No tank.... but you'd be happier with an F250 or a 2500 Chevy or GMC...

At 9K gross with an estimated tongue weight of around 1000 lbs you would be stretching one of the HD 1/2 tons a bit... and at 35ft a longer wheel base will ride a lot better...
Old 04-06-2013, 08:23 AM   #3
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
No tank.... but you'd be happier with an F250 or a 2500 Chevy or GMC...

At 9K gross with an estimated tongue weight of around 1000 lbs you'd would be stretching one of the HD 1/2 tons a bit... and at 35ft a longer wheel base will ride a lot better...
Fully agree! The why's and wherefore's are fully explained in many previous posts here in the Towing sub-forum.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
cathcartww

Don't forget to consider full size vans. Our 277RL is about the same specs, and our E350 tows it well. We have the diesel, but a big gasser would do just as well.

2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX Fifth Wheel
2018 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L Gasser
cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #5
tomsws6

I have a springdale 323bhs which is close to the specs of the one your looking at and I pulled it with a well equiped Sierra Denali and it did ok.. I wouldnt do it again now that I got a Crew cab f350 SRW. Its nite and day and its not a tank. You really dont even know its back there. I think you would be fine with anything in the 2500/250 or up range.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #6
fla-gypsy

I would also recommend a properly equipped 3/4 ton truck for towing satisfaction
Old 04-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #7
Tammie

Thank you all. The dealership tried to assure us a 2013 dodge ram 1500 with the 3.93 axel could do it, but it would be close to maximum tow capacity. I now believe we should definitely step it up to the f250 or 2500. We appreciate all of the help. This is our first travel trailer and we o to want to regret the truck purchase.
Tammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #8
tomsws6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammie View Post
Thank you all. The dealership tried to assure us a 2013 dodge ram 1500 with the 3.93 axel could do it, but it would be close to maximum tow capacity. I now believe we should definitely step it up to the f250 or 2500. We appreciate all of the help. This is our first travel trailer and we o to want to regret the truck purchase.
Sure it could pull it. But stopping safely and worring about the weight limit is just too much stress. I pulled mine with a 1500 and think now wondering what the heck was I thinking. My 350 pulls it like theres nothing back there and its nice experience with out the white nuckle ride.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #9
audio1der

^They're not kidding. We didn't know how length factored in as well as weight. Our 1500 w/Hemi has more than enough power, but could use more frame length and overall truck "girth" to pull with more confidence.
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #10
Tgribb6

Our new Tow vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammie View Post
We are considering an outback 312bh, but are finding we may need a small tank to pull it. Any suggestions?
We have a 2013 312BH and love it so far. We started off towing it with a 2008 Toyota Tundra w/ the 5.7L V8 and it pulled it just fine.

The other day we just purchased this 2011 Suburban 2500 with the 6.0L V8 and it pulls it quite well. We literally got back on Friday from our first trip with the new tow vehicle and put about 900 miles in.

We traveled from Orange County, CA through the Grape Vine (I-5 Frwy) and up Highway 1 to Big Sur. The Grape Vine has 6% inclines for roughly 10-15 miles and Highway 1 was 70+ miles of winding and climbing. I would say some of the toughest hill climbs around and it did pretty darn good and averaged about 7.8 mpg. Definitely no Diesel but she did well.

We love the Suburban... And yes, we added a few goodies like the wheels, front leveling package, and grille.

Ty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	2750   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo copy.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	2751  

2013 Keystone Outback 312bh
2011 Suburban 2500 LT w/ 6.0L V8

Current Mods:
1. BillsBumperQ for my Weber Q220
2. Steadyfast Stabilizer Bars
3. MaxxAir Fan Deluxe
4. Cyclone Sewer Vent

Future Mods:
1. Dirt Devil CV1500 or Something Compareable
2. Day/Night Blackout Shades
3. Rope Lights Framing the Interior of Outdoor kitchen
Tgribb6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:05 AM   #11
at3deco3

Last May we bought a 2012 312bh and needed a new tow vehicle since my 03 Silverado 1/2 ton was not going to cut it. Not being that educated on capacity and tow specifications I relied on the Ford dealership to tell me what I needed to purchase to pull the 312bh. In the end I bought 2012 F150 Platinum with max tow. I was excited that I had a vehicle that could tow 11,200 lbs....so the 312bh should be no problem.

With my new F150 I go pick up my new 312bh from the RV dealer. It was a windy day and the travel trailer was all over the road (with the trucks anti sway kicking in). I was scared to death.

After that I decided to get a Hensley hitch for the TT. Which is an amazing device and completely eliminated any sway with the trailer.

However, now the only issue that was haunting me was the capacity of truck.
My F150 with all the options had a capacity rating of about 1500 pds. So being concerned about this I bought a tongue scale for the TT. With the trailer all loaded up the tongue scale showed~1350 lbs. I know the Hensley hitch added to the weight....but I need the Hensley hitch for the sway.
Lets do the Math...
1500-1350=150 pds for all occupants and cargo. I was sick to my stomach.
In the end I was about 500 pds over the rating of the truck with occupants and no cargo!
So while the TT never swayed it was stressful traveling around knowing my brand new truck was over capacity. Not to mention the bounce of the vehicle was significant since the suspension and p-rated tires on the F150 are simply not designed for that kind of loading.
In order to improve the rear suspension I added airbags which helped me believe for some months that it was ok to pull the TT since the rear of the F150 was not sagging.
However, it was haunting to me knowing that the vehicle was over capacity and that legally if I were to get in an accident even if it wasn't my fault it may be used against me in court.

For the safety of my family and peace of mind I decided to trade my 2012 F150 for a 2013 F350 Lariat SRW (~3500pd capacity).
Even though I got a great deal on my trade it is a costly mistake that I don't want to see other people make.

The lesson behind this like many people have said before me if you plan on purchasing a travel trailer like the 312bh (9000 lb GVWR) then you have to also plan on having a tow vehicle that is more than capable (i.e F250/F350).
at3deco3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #12
F16Vip3r

Need a 3/4 ton

I was in a similar boat to At3Deco3... Had a -150 with enough tow capacity for 9300lbs and bought a 6500lb Wildwood with 650lb toungue weight. I thought I was OK until I realized the "dry weight" didn't include propane, or the 60-90lbs dedicated to the hitch. After loading up my family, before adding cargo to the truck or camper, I was within 100lbs of my max GVWR of the -150. I upgraded to the -250, doubled my cargo carrying capacity, and had plenty to spare. With all the extra capacity, we decided to upgrade from a 2006 Wildwood 27BHBS to a Sprinter 320BHS... Now I'm starting to envy a diesel! But, my -250 Lariat with all the options is more than good enough for the time being.

2021 Cougar 364BHL
2013 Ford F-350 CC, 6.7L Diesel
Traded:
2013 Sprinter 320BHS
2007 Forest River Wildwood 27BHBS
F16Vip3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:48 AM   #13
tomsws6

Quote:
Originally Posted by at3deco3 View Post
Last May we bought a 2012 312bh and needed a new tow vehicle since my 03 Silverado 1/2 ton was not going to cut it. Not being that educated on capacity and tow specifications I relied on the Ford dealership to tell me what I needed to purchase to pull the 312bh. In the end I bought 2012 F150 Platinum with max tow. I was excited that I had a vehicle that could tow 11,200 lbs....so the 312bh should be no problem.

With my new F150 I go pick up my new 312bh from the RV dealer. It was a windy day and the travel trailer was all over the road (with the trucks anti sway kicking in). I was scared to death.

After that I decided to get a Hensley hitch for the TT. Which is an amazing device and completely eliminated any sway with the trailer.

However, now the only issue that was haunting me was the capacity of truck.
My F150 with all the options had a capacity rating of about 1500 pds. So being concerned about this I bought a tongue scale for the TT. With the trailer all loaded up the tongue scale showed~1350 lbs. I know the Hensley hitch added to the weight....but I need the Hensley hitch for the sway.
Lets do the Math...
1500-1350=150 pds for all occupants and cargo. I was sick to my stomach.
In the end I was about 500 pds over the rating of the truck with occupants and no cargo!
So while the TT never swayed it was stressful traveling around knowing my brand new truck was over capacity. Not to mention the bounce of the vehicle was significant since the suspension and p-rated tires on the F150 are simply not designed for that kind of loading.
In order to improve the rear suspension I added airbags which helped me believe for some months that it was ok to pull the TT since the rear of the F150 was not sagging.
However, it was haunting to me knowing that the vehicle was over capacity and that legally if I were to get in an accident even if it wasn't my fault it may be used against me in court.

For the safety of my family and peace of mind I decided to trade my 2012 F150 for a 2013 F350 Lariat SRW (~3500pd capacity).
Even though I got a great deal on my trade it is a costly mistake that I don't want to see other people make.

The lesson behind this like many people have said before me if you plan on purchasing a travel trailer like the 312bh (9000 lb GVWR) then you have to also plan on having a tow vehicle that is more than capable (i.e F250/F350).
Sorry for the big quote but this was me on so many levels! My Denali could pull the 9k but in the end I got 350 and its worlds apart. ITs actually a nice experience pulling the camper instead of stressing out the whole trip which takes away from the word "VACATION"

Honestly you probably dont even need a diesel. The gas HD trucks do just fine but I would also take into consideration if you decide to upgrade in the future. If you start getting into the big Fifth wheels you may want to think about the diesel. Thats one reason I got the 350 cause out next one will prabably be a toy hauler our a big bunkhouse. Prob a toy hauler cause of the golf cart but.....
Old 05-02-2013, 05:32 AM   #14
Bob Landry

I think the dealers really do understand towing capacity and payload capacity. They like to talk about tow capacity because that's what is going to seal the deal on a trailer sale. They won't talk about payload and probably for good reason, theirs, not ours. Towing is only half of the towing equation. Stopping is the other half, and few people think about it until they are on the road and some don't think about it then. I see a lot of trailers being pulled by overloaded 1/2 ton trucks and SUVs. I'm sure a lot of them read about it on one the RV forums, but decided to ignore the advice they got. I just try not to be in front of them on the road. I ran into a guy in a state park that was pulling an 11K lb trailer with a Toyota Tundra loaded down with wife, three kids, dog, and gear. I just shook my head. There was no need to even try to talk to the guy. He was convinced he was OK, and I wished him well.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:19 AM   #15
Dhuhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
I ran into a guy in a state park that was pulling an 11K lb trailer with a Toyota Tundra loaded down with wife, three kids, dog, and gear. I just shook my head. There was no need to even try to talk to the guy. He was convinced he was OK, and I wished him well.
I think someday the states are going to crack down on people pulling trailer and 5ers that are overloaded or to small of tv to haul what they have. It's a very serious safety issue, not just for them but all the people on the road that they come in contact with.

2016 Montana 3720RL
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Duromax :

previous
2012 Montana High Country 313RE
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duromax
2010 Palimino Bronco
2005 Chevy Silverado CC 1500
Dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:27 AM   #16
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
I see a lot of trailers being pulled by overloaded 1/2 ton trucks and SUVs. I'm sure a lot of them read about it on one the RV forums, but decided to ignore the advice they got. I just try not to be in front of them on the road. I ran into a guy in a state park that was pulling an 11K lb trailer with a Toyota Tundra loaded down with wife, three kids, dog, and gear. I just shook my head. There was no need to even try to talk to the guy. He was convinced he was OK, and I wished him well.
Bob -
While the above example may not be typical, it does illustrate that there are people who, after having asked for and received towing and tow vehicle advice on this forum and others, choose to ignore it.

The question most commonly asked goes something like this: "I have X truck and just bought a Y Travel Trailer. Can this truck pull this TT? (There may be several variations of the question but it asks pretty much the same thing.
They might include a bunch of numbers or not. They might say that buying another truck is not an option. Or they might say that they will be towing on the flats for just 75 miles. Other caveats may be added but it really doesn't matter.

Once the question is posted, members offer their advice and recommendations as to why towing with truck X isn't a good idea. Quite often reasons backed up with data are given, sometimes not.

In many instances, the advice that is given is overwhelmingly against pulling Y trailer with X truck. Advice that, for the most part, is given by knowledgeable and experienced RVers who have been towing for years.

Often, at the end of this prolonged discussion and thread, the OP will say, "Thanks for all the input but I've decided to keep our truck and will be heading off for our 2 week vacation this weekend. I think I'll be ok".

I am left wondering why he bothered asking in the first place. What was he looking for? Was his mind already made up and was looking for someone - anyone - to say, "Not to worry. I've got exactly the same truck and haven't had any problems. You'll be fine."

I am not suggesting that the advice given here should be followed. A person is free to choose to either ignore it or accept it. What I find puzzling, however, is why ask when you already have your mind made up and are looking for someone - even one individual- to validate your decision? Why ask if you say that "getting another truck isn't an option"?

There, I've had my morning rant.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:55 AM   #17
labs4life

People ask for opinions to try to justify what they have already done. I am dealing with it now with a partner of mine. "Hey, do you think I can pull this camper with my 150???" I say no and just he just shakes his head!! Don't know what he expects me to say when he knows the answer before he asks the question.
labs4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:22 AM   #18
Javi

I think I understand the motivation for asking the question, it's human nature to seek validation for our decisions. What I don't understand is ignoring overwhelming evidence in favor of that decision being horribly wrong....

Of course one could blame the manufacturers and the sales people for misleading the public as well.. Just had it happen to the DW and I at an RV show in the next town to the south of us..

We have never been completely happy with the Passport and fully intend to replace it as soon as possible.. So to that end we took a short trip to the show and wouldn't you know it... there sat the perfect trailer... it had everything we wanted in a trailer and maybe a touch more..

Price was right and trade talks were begun.... hitches were being thrown in and all kinds of incentives.... it was very difficult to say no.. the deal was just that good... 30% off of MSRP, plus many extras like automatic leveling jacks, TrailAir pin box and slide awnings among others..

Problem was....

When we bought the Passport every book, every salesman, many on the forums and even my own experience said my new F-150 should easily tow it... and it did with one exception the 32' 9" trailer whipped that little 145" wheelbase all over the road... the trailer didn't sway... the truck did... We tried every trick I knew, every trick my RVing friends knew and every trick the internet forum gurus knew... I spent almost 3 grand trying to get the truck to quit doing its little dance... all to no avail..

Finally I gave in and bought the F-250 in August of last year, and I got a good deal on it not losing too much on the trade.... now fast forward to mid April....

The New trailer; our dream trailer had these specs....

Dry Hitch Weight2,870 lbs.

Base Weight12,650 lbs.

GVWR15,300 lbs.

There was no way I could even consider towing this trailer without again trading trucks...

Best case, my truck has a remaining payload of 2200 lbs after the DW and dogs load up... and even if I go by scale readings and ignore the payload sticker in favor of the GAWR (6100lbs) I could conceivably do this... if I really paid attention to how I loaded the trailer... ( yeah right )

The scale says I have 2945 lbs left to GAWR limit... and everybody knows the 6100lbs is not really the number cause the 350 SRW uses the same axle and its GAWR is about a 1000 lbs higher... so hey lets sign... and go camping...

I turn to the salesman for validation.... and he's grinning from ear to ear... "Yep" he says... I sell this trailer to folks with 3/4 ton trucks all the time..

Alright... let's sign...

Wait a minute... the little bird in my head says.... DW says sign... I want this trailer....

But NO, I say wait a minute...

We leave an unhappy salesman.... I drive home with the DW glaring and silent.... to no dinner and the couch for a bed..

Monday morning...Check the costs of trading trucks for a 350 DRW.... ain't gonna happen

What can I do.... Can I pull this trailer with my brand new TV...
Old 05-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #19
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I think I understand the motivation for asking the question, it's human nature to seek validation for our decisions.

Monday morning...Check the costs of trading trucks for a 350 DRW.... ain't gonna happen

What can I do.... Can I pull this trailer with my brand new TV...
Javi -

Mmmmmmmm..sounds like getting a new truck isn't an option. Now, where have we heard that before??

What can I do you ask. Be very, very nice to your DW this coming Mother's Day.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #20
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Bob -
While the above example may not be typical, it does illustrate that there are people who, after having asked for and receiving towing and tow vehicle advice on this forum and others, choose to ignore it.

The question most commonly asked goes something like this: "I have X truck and just bought a Y Travel Trailer. Can this truck pull this TT? (There may be several variations of the question but it asks pretty much the same thing.
They might include a bunch of numbers or not. They might say that buying another truck is not an option. Or they might say that they will be towing on the flats for just 75 miles. Other caveats may be added but it really doesn't matter.

Once the question is posted, members offer their advice and recommendations as to why towing with truck X isn't a good idea. Quite often reasons backed up with data are given, sometimes not.

In many instances, the advice that is given is overwhelmingly against pulling Y trailer with X truck. Advice that, for the most part, is given by knowledgeable and experienced RVers who have been towing for years.

Often, at the end of this prolonged discussion and thread, the OP will say, "Thanks for all the input but I've decided to keep our truck and will be heading off for our 2 week vacation this weekend. I think I'll be ok".

I am left wondering why he bothered asking in the first place. What was he looking for? Was his mind already made up and was looking for someone - anyone - to say, "Not to worry. I've got exactly the same truck and haven't had any problems. You'll be fine."

I am not suggesting that the advice given here should be followed. A person is free to choose to either ignore it or accept it. What I find puzzling is why ask when you already have your mind made up and are looking for a single thread of confirmation? Why ask if you say that "getting another truck isn't an option"?

There, I've had my morning rant.
And with that, Sir, you have hit it squarely on the head. I think 90% of those post on here asking for advise are posted by the guy who has already signed the papers and just wants someone to tell him it's OK and he didn't screw up to badly. It's not going to be me telling him it's OK. It's either right or wrong and your choice, but understand that you have to man up and live with whatever choice is made.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote