Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
alonzov

2012 QX56 as TV

Hello All:

We are very interested on a Passport GT 2920, published shipping weight 5640, carrying capacity 1560 lbs.

TV is 2012 Infiniti QX56 - 5.6L V-8 400 HP engine, rated at 8500 lbs
Weights:
-gross vehicle weight (lbs): 7,500,
-published curb weight (lbs): 5,850,
-gross trailer weight braked (lbs): 8,500
-payload allowance (lbs): 1,609 (this is the actual payload including options)

I understand that probably the best is to get "real numbers" (weight TV with load, etc) but I was hoping I can get some guidance with the numbers posted above.

Most of the time it would be wife and two kids (currently 5-8 years old). Most of the trips would be short ones in Southern California. Would my TV be able to handle the 2920?.

Thank you in advance!
alonzov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:40 AM   #2
SAABDOCTOR

look carefully! what is the weight on the hitch? add that weight and the cargo including fuel and people and stuff in the suv. and i would bet your too heavy plus the short wheel base of the suv will make it prone to sway. i do not now anything about your tt. but suvs and pop ups are good. suv and tt no so much but i am sureone with more knowledge will chime in with a better answer. good luck.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
Port List

Hello alonzov - We tow a 22RBWE with our Armada, which is essentially the same vehicle as you propose to tow with. Our trailer measures at 24' for the body and is 900 pounds lighter than the one you are interested in. I couldn't ask for a better tow. Our numbers are all good with some wiggle room too. Going another 5' in length and 900 lbs in weight might be detrimental to the towing experience. As Saabdoctor suggested, I would certainly get real on all the numbers and if they look ok, go with a good weight distributing and anti-sway setup. It is within the realm of possibility, but be exact; there isn't room to guess. I wouldn't want to be towing an unruly trailer at 5:00 on the 8 freeway for all the tea in San Diego harbor! I hope all works out favorably for you.

2018 Jayco JayFlight 195 SLX
2018 F-150
Port List is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:53 AM   #4
Zindog

Don't do it

I was in this same boat a few months ago. We purchased a 2012 Passport 2910BH to pull with our 2012 QX56. Flat ground, and around town not a problem. Once we got our on the road it didn't feel safe. Oh, the QX could pull the trailer, but there was lots of sway at highway speeds. The biggest issue is the backend - low drive ratio. The determining factor was when we got stuck behind a semi going up hill on the Interstate. The semi kept slowing down. Finally at 25MPH, I had the opportunity to pass, and when I pulled out and pressed the gas - the RPMs shot up to ~7000 - just off redline. Not good.
Short story - next week I traded it for a 2013 Ford F-250 Super Duty. I loved my QX - but I love my family more.
Zindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:55 AM   #5
Zindog

One more thing...

I did take my QX to the scales. With me and a full tank of gas, it weighed in at 6800lbs.
Zindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:05 AM   #6
alonzov

All, thank you for your replies and the good info.

Zindog, well, our situations could not have been any closer!.. Thanks a lot for your info, seems that I need to start looking for a smaller trailer, kids and wife like the QX56 way too much to get rid of it. Need the bunks so it won't be that easy, looking at the Lance 2185 as an option.

Anyway, back to the drawing board!.

Regards
alonzov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:40 AM   #7
SAABDOCTOR

THE Drawing board is better than the ambulance anyday! Good luck with the search!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote