Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
Bigevent

Replace the Toilet

I am new to the RV world. A bit late, I agree, but I'm just de-winterizing my Passport Ultralite. I am finding the plastic plumbing line to the toilet is leaking. The fitting is on the back side of the toilet and very close to the wall. No room for a visual inspection with the toilet intact. how do I remove the toilet in order to get a better look and, if necessary, replace a fitting?
Bigevent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
jergeod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigevent View Post
I am new to the RV world. A bit late, I agree, but I'm just de-winterizing my Passport Ultralite. I am finding the plastic plumbing line to the toilet is leaking. The fitting is on the back side of the toilet and very close to the wall. No room for a visual inspection with the toilet intact. how do I remove the toilet in order to get a better look and, if necessary, replace a fitting?
Two nuts one on each side of the toilet base then unscrew the water fitting, lift out of the way.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

I have found that the easiest way to work on the toilet is to:

1: Cut the Pex water supply a few inches above the floor.

2: Remove the toilet (two flange nuts and depending on model two wood screws through base in rear) covering the flange with a heavy piece of damp towel to keep from filling the already crowded room and preventing anything from falling in.

3: Install a SharkBite 1/2 x 3/8 straight stop valve on the 1/2" Pex supply line coming up from the floor.

4: With the toilet removed it is now easy to remove the piece of Pex and the fitting from the back of the toilet. Replace this fitting with 1/2"IPS x 3/8"comp. flexible FAUCET supply (RV toilets use 1/2" IPS fittings so do not get a residential toilet supply which has a 7/8" ballcock nut)

5: Reinstall the toilet being sure to center the flange gasket correctly or you may get tank smells into the trailer.

6: Connect new supply line to the new valve turn on water and check for leaks.

This may seem like a lot of work but depending on how your toilet is positioned, trying to connect the semi-ridged Pex fitting to the back of the toilet without crossthreading it will teach your family words they have never heard come out of you.

I hope no one was waiting to use the toilet while you performed this task, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
Bigevent

Boy, don't I fell silly. It's just like any other toilet. For some reason, I assumed it would be different. thank you. Got it off. The knuckle has a split in it. I'll get the assembly replaced so I can start using the RV.
Bigevent is offline   Reply With Quote