Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
leaffan01

Marker Lights Malfunction 2010 Sprindale 296BHS

Hello. I have a Springdale 296 BHS, and I am having a light issue. My side and front marker lights are not coming on. The rear markers, as well as the tail lights all work, but the side and front are not. Everything else on the trailer works, so there won't be any other issues, except the lights. I cannot find a schematic of the wires so that I can see if there is a break in the wire somewhere. I am hoping someone could offer a possible solution to this problem. It might be something simple, but I am out of options at this point.Please Help!!!!!
leaffan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
Outbackmel

Check contacts

I had a similar issue a couple of years ago with both my 05 Hornet TT AND my motorcycle 2 bike hauler. Issue was plug and contacts were dirty and not making enough contact. Cleaned them the best I could with a combo of sandpaper, scratching corrosion off with a small screwdriver and presto, worked. BEFORE you rip out wires try that. Of course if you are electrically inclined, I am NOT, and by your comment I doubt you are either, BUT, if you are and have a meter you can check before doing anything.

OR take the unit to any place that puts hitches and plugs on anything and they can meter it for you for a very nominal fee.

I would try my first observation.

Good luck....
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:05 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Check for a lost ground, there are plenty of posts on plug identification which one is ground and the wire colors and corresponding connections.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:24 AM   #4
f6bits

Considering that half of the lights out, and it’s a specific half of the trailer, I don’t think it’s the trailer plug at the hitch. Does Keystone use wiring harness plugs like you find in cars?

And just to clarify:
The two front amber markers at the top don’t work?
The two side amber markers (one on each side) don’t work?
The two side red markers (one on each side) don’t work?
The five rear red markers at the top do work?

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:34 AM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaffan01 View Post
Hello. I have a Springdale 296 BHS, and I am having a light issue. My side and front marker lights are not coming on. The rear markers, as well as the tail lights all work, but the side and front are not. Everything else on the trailer works, so there won't be any other issues, except the lights. I cannot find a schematic of the wires so that I can see if there is a break in the wire somewhere. I am hoping someone could offer a possible solution to this problem. It might be something simple, but I am out of options at this point.Please Help!!!!!
First, I would check the junction box where the Trailer plug attaches to the trailer. One of the wire-nuts may have come loose or the wire to that part of the trailer pulled out. If not there you will have to trace wires back to the lights. If you are under warranty let the dealer do it if not too much of a hassle. JM2˘, Hank ......... and by the way ...
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:45 AM   #6
SAABDOCTOR

I have to agree that you 7 pin plug is not the issue. first off you need to see what you are missing, power or ground. you will need a volt meter or a test light. pop the lense off the nearest light to you trailer battery that doesnt work. remove the bulb. put the neg lead of the meter to the neg terminal on the camper battery. with your truck hooked up and lights on touch the pos lead of the meter to the center pin of the lamp socket. if you have power then you lost ground to the socket. if you have no power. you will want to check ground just to see if that wire is good. so put the pos lead of the meter to the pos of the camper battery. touch the neg lead of the meter to the side of the lamp socket if it lights grond is good. i have never taken the juction box apart. where the trailer plug conects ton the main harness. but that is where i would star lookin for broken lead. if i were laying out the wireing i would have made the jundtion for the harness in the box where the trailer plug comes in or the fuse box. maybe steve has a better idea of where this junction maybe. the only thing we could hope for is you have power and ground and you have a bunch of bad bulbs like a power surge popped them. good luck
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:56 AM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

Barney, Marker lights are wedge-base and Keystone installers really don't pay attention to polarity. One reason some LED bulbs don't work unless turned 180°. ... Hank
Old 06-28-2012, 06:59 AM   #8
SAABDOCTOR

not completly true mine does not have wedge bulbs.i have the push and turn type. but if the one we are talking about has them then one leg should have power the other would be ground and the same principal applies. but i'll bet the fixis in the box like festus said.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:28 AM   #9
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
not completly true mine does not have wedge bulbs.i have the push and turn type. but if the one we are talking about has them then one leg should have power the other would be ground and the same principal applies. but i'll bet the fixis in the box like festus said.
Even on the bayonet base sockets .... the Amish are great farmers but electric they don't care. I had to remove my porch and one docking light to correct polarity so I could use certain LED bulbs.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:20 AM   #10
SAABDOCTOR

SO IF YOU HOOK THE WIRES UP BACKWARDS THE BULB LIGHTS WHEN YOU TURN IT OFF THE RADIO LISTENS INSTEAD PLAYS AND THE HORN SUCKS INSTEAD OF BLOWS! MECHANIC HUMOR JUST HAD TO DO IT HA HA HA
Old 06-28-2012, 11:25 AM   #11
hankaye

Howdy All;

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Even on the bayonet base sockets .... the Amish are great farmers but electric they don't care. I had to remove my porch and one docking light to correct polarity so I could use certain LED bulbs.
The 'Stolfutz kid' strikes again ........

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #12
CPE

Ditto!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
First, I would check the junction box where the Trailer plug attaches to the trailer. One of the wire-nuts may have come loose or the wire to that part of the trailer pulled out. If not there you will have to trace wires back to the lights. If you are under warranty let the dealer do it if not too much of a hassle. JM2˘, Hank ......... and by the way ...
I had the exact same intermittent ground problem and it was jb at front where trailer to vehicle cord connects-- white wire crimp connector was NOT crimped tightly; wire just pulled out when I opened the box to pull out the wires and check. Several others have reported bad crimps.
CPE is offline   Reply With Quote