Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2022, 04:30 PM   #1
Opa 1

Good Sam

Just curious, I was in camping world and part of their deal they sign you up for good Sam club. It took 3 or 4 months but I finally received a card from them and it appears they are asking for me to sign up with some me level ( a few choices of levels). My question is there any advantages to having a good sam membership for the record I am not even sure if they are called Good Sam or Good Sam Club

Anyway I am interested in y’all’s opinions
Opa 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 05:14 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I am a member of Good Sam and have been for many years. It costs something like $30 yr. or $90 for 3 (Elite). You get discounts at Camping World (sometimes very good - like $39 installation) and a 10% discount at Good Sam RV parks. As an example, one place we stay is $750 mo. and with the Good Sam discount you save $75. In that example you saved 2 1/2 years fees on that one transaction. The worth will depend on how, and how much, you use it - but it's only $30. Another facet to look at are the other programs they have; roadside assistance, another called "roadside assist?" that will return your RV for you if you have some problem, then other offerings as well including financing, insurance etc.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 06:30 PM   #3
gearhead

Be prepared to have your mailbox stuffed with offers from them.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 07:13 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Be prepared to have your mailbox stuffed with offers from them.
I get a lot of offers from them in the mail along with all my other stuff - 100 times more than Good Sam. I bring mail in, sit it on the end of the counter with the trash can under the edge, and sort. Do it with or without anything from Good Sam. You can control it but for us it doesn't matter; I receive so much stuff that Good Sam is a tiny part of the "stuff"....but, sometimes they actually offer me things that save me money unlike most other garbage mail.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 09:28 PM   #5
LHaven

I joined Good Sam as a lifetime member about 24 years ago. Back in those days, the magazine was included in the membership fee, so it was a very good deal for the beginning RVer.

I'm still a lifetime member, but the magazine is now unbundled, so it's not as great a deal. I still get the modest campground discount from campgrounds that offer them, so that's useful. I don't use their discount at Camping World/Overtons/Gander hardly ever because even with the discount, the same average item costs more than it would elsewhere.

I've been a member of their roadside service and medical transport plans, but I switched out to AAA because a bargain-priced plan that tells you "we don't have anybody to service you in the location you are currently in" when you're on the highway is no bargain after all.

As a lifetime member, I get a 5¢/gallon discount at Pilot/Flying J. Before the Biden Price Hike, that brand was competitive and I saved a chunk of change with this bennie -- now P/FJ are almost never within 5¢ of the local competition, so I haven't used it lately.

TL;DR: it used to be a really attractive deal; now it's just mildly attractive.
Old 08-31-2022, 02:33 AM   #6
Opa 1

Thank y’all for this helpful information
Old 08-31-2022, 05:56 AM   #7
bsmith0404

I’m a member, yes I get junk mail from them. I don’t get as much bang for the buck as most since I’m also retired military and most parks that offer a 10% Good Sam discount also offer a 10% military discount. I don’t particularly care for Camping World, but they are the best priced parts store locally, so I use them for things I don’t order on-line. I also have the fuel card for $.08 discount at Pilot/Flying J. I use the Open Roads Fleet card most of the time so haven’t used the Good Sam discount in a while.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 06:58 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Every year I debate renewing GS in my mind. There's no CW stores close enough to our travels to make in store purchases a factor. We do do use the camping discount but if a cg is a Passport America cg they offer better discounts. You will get junk mail mail from GS as they will "hard sell" a bunch of different insurance plans.

Over the years we have parsed our mail to the point of getting very small amounts of junk mail any more. I think doing the majority of on line transactions has reduced the mailing list that we appear on. It took several years but we get very few robo calls as well.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 08:53 AM   #9
wiredgeorge

I have my truck insured through Hartford and it has roadside insurance and my camper is on as a rider to the truck policy. It is basically just liability and with a 2002 camper, I guess you could say I am self-insured but it works for vehicle registration. There is no roadside plan for the old Cougar so I joined Good Sam's Roadside Assistance. I used it once but just for the truck which is also covered and got pretty good response/service. I had some small mysterious part die and it had to be dragged to the dealer in Uvalde who did a great job getting me back on the road. Not sure how Hartford's roadside assistance would have been much different as they probably use the same tow companies as Good Sam. One use made it worthwhile from a dollars and cents view. We do keep getting tons of Good Sam mail and I have never been in a CW store; I may have purchased an item or two online but not enough value to join their club for discounts. I too am a happy Passport America member and enjoy 1/2 price camping on our weekend trips as we usually select Passport America parks.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 11:57 AM   #10
Outbackman57

Back in my day 😂

I’ve been in Good Sam since 2002, about 3 years before I sold my house to go full-time. As stated there was a magazine that I really enjoyed, not like Trailer Life or Motorhome that only showcase high end rigs, but down to earth stories about RV life and people. It was enjoyable to sit under a tree and read it, unlike now with electronic devices, just not the same as turning a page. I also have Roadside going back to the time it included rescuing your RV and also your motorcycle if applicable. Now it is divided into levels, more money and not as good. There was a homey feel to the club way back when it was owned by people and not a corporation. Mr. Lemonis has seen fit to eliminate that feeling in favor of the money-making stuff, none of which I have a need for. It’s basically a buyers club of insurances and parts and final arrangements! I understand the need to change with the times and I’ll stay a member but like many things I liked the old ways. Just my old guy opinion.
Outbackman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 12:48 PM   #11
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackman57 View Post
There was a homey feel to the club way back when it was owned by people and not a corporation. Mr. Lemonis has seen fit to eliminate that feeling in favor of the money-making stuff, none of which I have a need for. It’s basically a buyers club of insurances and parts and final arrangements!
It used to be an actual "club." Now it's what's called an "affinity group." (In fact, their immediately previous name was literally "Affinity Group, Inc.") But then again, so are all the old "clubs" like AAA, AARP, AMAC, NRA, etc.

Clubs used to exist to serve their members; now they exist to "monetize" them under the guise of serving them. ("You can turn off your targeted ad cookies, but your ads will be so much less interesting!")
Old 08-31-2022, 01:55 PM   #12
Opa 1

This is all great information and much appreciated than you all
Old 09-15-2022, 07:28 AM   #13
Dallasrules

my membership expired, but I rejoined at a rv show because they had a ton of merchandise at 50 - 70% off. Really good deals. plus I got a coupon for rejoining, so in the end, the it didn't really cost me anything. Plus the cashier kept throwing in free swag. I think we got like 6 insulated mugs, and a bunch of other stuff.
Dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 08:06 AM   #14
larryflew

We did not use them for a few years but a couple years ago they had the best insurance for what we needed so we went back. Now do more on the way to somewhere stops at parks but mostly back for the insurance rates.
Old 09-15-2022, 08:24 AM   #15
Dallasrules

We also have our RV insurance with safeco through Good Sam. $625/yr for 6 RVs including a motorhome. Wish I could get rates like that on my car insurance.
Dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 09:30 AM   #16
Opa 1

Thank you for the insurance side I did not know this was available
Opa 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 12:07 PM   #17
Mikelff

I had Good Sam but did not renew. I found most Good Sams parks just gave me the discount automatically. I had one park ask me for my Good sams card. I had my old card with me. They just glanced at the card and gave me the discount so why renew? I use the Open Roads fleet card and get way better fuel discounts than a Good Sam discount. I had some decent discounts on parts while I was upgrading my 5er but often found better deals elsewhere. It’s hit and miss with Good Sam. To try to get me back they gave me a free 1 year renewal. I still didn’t get much out of it and still did not renew. Personally did not get the value I had hoped for. I guess you can try it and see if you like it. Not much money to try and you can probably get enough discounts to pay for the fee. Good luck.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 03:43 PM   #18
Opa 1

Thanks, kind of what I have been thinking

I am going to do a pass on signing up