Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2022, 06:18 AM   #1
Cougargals

Outside Kitchen Door - Stripped Screws

I have a 2021 29RKS - bought it last year new - picked it up from Camping World, got it home to open the outside kitchen door, and the arm just came out of the door. Took it back and CW added bigger screws to the door, and the next time out both arms came out of the door. I've reached out to Keystone for warranty work and they rejected the request. I'm trying to fight them, as I had nothing to do with this issue. Now I need to figure out how to make this work if I'm stuck with this door. How do you fill, reuse the holes already existing. Is there a way to put a plate over the holes to establish new holes? Both sides are equally messed up.
Cougargals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 06:37 AM   #2
dutchmensport

Sounds like you may now have to have the original door screw holes aluminum spot welded shut. Then retap with self taping screw, or use a fine drill bit and drill new holes through the weld spots.

You also have the option to aluminum weld the door hinges directly onto the frame of the door.

A welding shop can do this for you. In the long run, it will be a lot cheaper and less frustrating than trying to Jerry Rig something that will probably fail again.

Another thing, if the screw heads get too big, the doors won't shut.
Old 03-29-2022, 06:59 AM   #3
Camping family

Your talking about the piston that assist in opening the door. I have the same camper mine have given me a issue yet but I know of others who it has. One fix is get a piece of metal place it where the piston would attach to the door. Using a couple of nuts n bolts attach the metal to the door then attach the piston bracket to the metal. I would use stainless nuts n bolts. Don’t need nothing big.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 10:22 AM   #4
bobbecky

This is what I did for the same issue many years ago on our pass through slam doors. Nothing has moved since doing this repair. I used 1/8" X 2" aluminum bar, stainless steel sheet metal screws to attach the plate to the door, and 1/4" round head machine screws to attach the gas spring bracket to the plate. I used no glue to attach the plate to the door, just drilled the holes in the plate to just fit the screws.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	strut bracket.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	39015  
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 07:34 AM   #5
firestation12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougargals View Post
I have a 2021 29RKS - bought it last year new - picked it up from Camping World, got it home to open the outside kitchen door, and the arm just came out of the door. Took it back and CW added bigger screws to the door, and the next time out both arms came out of the door. I've reached out to Keystone for warranty work and they rejected the request. I'm trying to fight them, as I had nothing to do with this issue. Now I need to figure out how to make this work if I'm stuck with this door. How do you fill, reuse the holes already existing. Is there a way to put a plate over the holes to establish new holes? Both sides are equally messed up.

Take a look at a product called Nutsert®. Google "rivet nut" to see what it looks like. The system puts a rivet with internal threads in the stripped out hole, leaving a 1/4" deep thread in the sheet metal. Harbor Freight sells a starter kit, which includes a hand rivet gun, and an assortment of rivet nuts. Your battle with Keystone and the dealer is best abandoned and the problem fixed by yourself.
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 09:19 AM   #6
dutchmensport

I guess I misunderstood where the stripped screw was. I thought you was talking about the hinges. I didn't even think about the piston arm. My bad. Sorry my comments were useless on this one.
Old 03-30-2022, 09:34 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Unfortunately the screws pulling out of the door strut can be an issue. The aluminum door skin is very thin and very little force is required to yank them out. Some good solutions have been proposed just a word of caution and don't take this as blaming you for this happening. Just be cognizant that pulling/pushing the door rapidly to open it or the wind catching the door can place suffiant forces to pull the screws out. Reinforcing the door will make the opposite end of that gas strut the "weakest link".
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 09:04 AM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainesbaptist View Post
This is a common issue with doors in motor houses. When this problem occurs, I just get a longer screw, so it reaches further and holds better.
If it's one of the cargo doors as stated length is the issue, a longer one will go completely through the door.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote