Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2022, 05:49 AM   #21
German Shepherd Guy

I do it the way John & Danny do it. The EMS is doing it's job and will not allow power in if there is a fault. If there isn't then the power just appears after the 2 minute plus delay.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 06:01 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
I do it the way John & Danny do it. The EMS is doing it's job and will not allow power in if there is a fault. If there isn't then the power just appears after the 2 minute plus delay.
The only "glitch that might catch you offguard" is if you regularly use a generator and put the EMS in "bypass" because of the isolated grounding with the generator. Doing that, then towing to a campground (with the EMS in bypass) could apply a load to the trailer as soon as you plug it in. That would/could cause the arcing on the pins while plugging the EMS into the pedestal.

So, if you're a "generator user and haven't bought a grounding plug to connect your neutral to ground and put your EMS in bypass to power the trailer" then you "might" find power applied to the trailer as soon as you plug the EMS into the campground pedestal....

Sounds complicated, but it really isn't.... If your EMS is in "normal operation mode" it will isolate the trailer from any potential wiring fault. If your EMS is in bypass, it will "bypass the checks and might cause a WHAMMO!!!!!"

ALWAYS RESET YOUR EMS AFTER USING BYPASS MODE......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 08:04 AM   #23
Weldon

Honestly I never thought about it, but I get it now and will shorten my process. Was previously trying to avoid arcing. I'm glad I asked this question. I learned something today. Now I can take a nap
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 10:12 AM   #24
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldon View Post
I saw this part "if AC power is interrupted, or the EMS detects a fault, the 2 minute 16 seconds (136 seconds) time delay
is activated" but not the "When first plugging in" part.
This is why plugging in the cable is the very first thing I do after parking, even before chocking. I want that delay time to be over and the A/C running as soon as possible, especially in this heat!
Old 07-16-2022, 05:23 AM   #25
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
This is why plugging in the cable is the very first thing I do after parking, even before chocking. I want that delay time to be over and the A/C running as soon as possible, especially in this heat!
Followed your advice this time. Hooked up then went ahead with other tasks. 10 mins later looked in at microwave and we had power. Thanks everyone for the explanation. Much less stress this trip
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power