Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2022, 04:23 PM   #1
Goliath-goes

Heat pump

We have a 2020 Montana high country 381th and our heat pump works well down to 40 degrees. My question is the gas furnace is supposed to kick on with heat pump if there’s more than 2 degree difference but it doesn’t do that. Is there a setting I’m missing somewhere? Tia
Goliath-goes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 04:37 PM   #2
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliath-goes View Post
We have a 2020 Montana high country 381th and our heat pump works well down to 40 degrees. My question is the gas furnace is supposed to kick on with heat pump if there’s more than 2 degree difference but it doesn’t do that. Is there a setting I’m missing somewhere? Tia
The differential is 3-5 degrees, mine was nearer 5! It it were only 2 degrees the furnace would most likely be running with the heat pump every time it starts.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 04:57 PM   #3
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliath-goes View Post
It may be like the newer digital thermostats I use where it has to lose 2 or 3 degrees..whichever is the differential..in order for the furnace to kick on…Honeywell uses that on their 8000? Series digital tstat set up for dual fuel…you can’t manually raise the temp say 4 deg and make it kick on the furnace like older thermostats..as long as the heat pump is keepin up it will maintain the heat pump setting…now when the temp at night drops drastically it may start losing a degree an hour and the furnace will kick on after the 2 or 3 deg

Don’t know if it uses a outdoor thermister to lock out the heat pump below a certain temp but they also can be set ( on residential) to keep the furnace locked out above certain temps
Old 04-08-2022, 06:30 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

From memory; my MHC had the Dometic capacitive touch thermostat. You set it to furnace, heat pump or AC. It did not switch between functions. Around 40 or so the HP became less effective so I either got up at night to switch to furnace or left it on furnace when I went to bed. I changed out to a MicroAir Easy Touch thermostat right away as the Dometics had tons of problems. No issues since.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 05:50 AM   #5
ChuckS

Link to the thermostat I think you have manual...

https://www.dometic.com/externalasse...7112_64643.pdf

If there is an Auto setting for your unit for MODE then yes the furnace should come on if HP cannot meet the demand...

Personally I prefer to run mine with the furnace or the HP selected ONLY and will change modes myself if I know the overnight temp will drop under 40 degrees.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 11:06 AM   #6
Goliath-goes

Thank you all
Old 04-09-2022, 11:46 AM   #7
dutchmensport

Mine is exactly like sourdough's experience. Except, I'm still using the original factory installed thermostat. I just know, when the temps reach 45 degrees outside, I have to flip it over to furnace as the heat pump quits blowing warm.

Tags
heat