Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2022, 09:57 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Yep you will be fine…just use a couple of straps lol
I did that with my 93 F250 diesel, a Harbor Freight aluminum rack and a 170 quart white marine cooler full of shrimp. It was almost 200 miles home from the shrimp docks. When we got home, the diesel exhaust had melted a hole in the cooler and cooked the shrimp about 8-10 inches around the melted hole....

I was astounded (can't even begin to say how pissed I was) that I didn't think about hot exhaust coming out of the tailpipe and directly onto the cooler about a foot away..... Anyway, diesel flavored shrimp, cooked without salt or spices just don't cut it compared to a "real Cajun shrimpboil".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 10:16 AM   #22
JOEJ
Gone Traveling

Might have improved the flavor.
JOEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 10:25 AM   #23
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I did that with my 93 F250 diesel, a Harbor Freight aluminum rack and a 170 quart white marine cooler full of shrimp. It was almost 200 miles home from the shrimp docks. When we got home, the diesel exhaust had melted a hole in the cooler and cooked the shrimp about 8-10 inches around the melted hole....

I was astounded (can't even begin to say how pissed I was) that I didn't think about hot exhaust coming out of the tailpipe and directly onto the cooler about a foot away..... Anyway, diesel flavored shrimp, cooked without salt or spices just don't cut it compared to a "real Cajun shrimpboil".....

When I was looking at rear towing mudflaps I read about the Chevy /gmc exhaust on the newer diesel pickups.
I know it’s been mentioned here but it comes out at an angle behind the truck.
If you order the hitch hanging mudflaps they recommend a heat shield for gmc.
Always wondered if that would make a heat mark on the front of the fifth wheel (without mudflaps)
Old 03-13-2022, 11:04 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
When I was looking at rear towing mudflaps I read about the Chevy /gmc exhaust on the newer diesel pickups.
I know it’s been mentioned here but it comes out at an angle behind the truck.
If you order the hitch hanging mudflaps they recommend a heat shield for gmc.
Always wondered if that would make a heat mark on the front of the fifth wheel (without mudflaps)
Our Holiday Rambler travel trailer ALWAYS had black soot on the front curbside corner when towing with the 93 "NA" diesel. when we bought the 99 "turbo diesel" we never got soot marks on the trailer again, but did still "shy away" from putting anything "meltable" on the cargo rack when we weren't towing the trailer.....

The mudflaps on all my trucks were/are mounted forward of the exhaust, but I can see where it would potentially damage/melt a removeable "grass skirt or rubberized hitch mounted mud shield that sits behind the tailpipe.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-13-2022, 11:27 AM   #25
flybouy
Site Team

Many years ago a friend of mine was doing a lot of work to a house he bought. New roof, new vinyl siding, new windows, etc. They were pouring a new driveway and the cement mixer was close to the house. The truck exhaust melted about a 10' square of siding like a candle dripping wax.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 12:54 PM   #26
buzzcop63

Wt for rear rack

My Trailer rack is rated for 200Lb. But looking at the welds and structure I would stay light in weight and make sure everything is tied down. If any bouncing is noticed check the welds!
Old 03-14-2022, 07:13 AM   #27
KarenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by foneguy View Post
I put my wen 2800 inverter on our rack from Ohio to Panama City beach last summer, used two ratchet straps and a 1/2 in cable and lock, custom cover, and was perfectly fine back there.
it will be fine, but. id get a cover for any rain. I had a friend who makes boat cover make mine out of the same material.
Had a similar setup on our Jayco. DH welded a box out of steel grate, beefed up bumper and ran angle back to the frame. The lock box had cut outs so you could reach the controls and outlet. Made a cover from an unused truck bed snap cover. Was one of the old coleman generators, 1700 I believe. Sold it with the camper since he's a honda gen guy.
Past
2006 Springdale 280 FWIKL-GL
1997 Jayco 253
KarenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 07:41 AM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzcop63 View Post
My Trailer rack is rated for 200Lb. But looking at the welds and structure I would stay light in weight and make sure everything is tied down. If any bouncing is noticed check the welds!
Something to think about:

Most trailer racks are rated for a "static load" which means the weight at 1G force. So 200 pounds is 200 pounds...

A trailer sitting still will give you a "static load"... A trailer in motion will give you a "dynamic load"...

What's the difference?

When the cargo is bouncing up and down or when the trailer suspension is bouncing up and down, the cargo "stops suddenly at the top (negative dynamic load) and stops suddenly at the bottom (positive dynamic load)...

It's not uncommon for the dynamic load to reach 3G's or 4G's during that "sudden stop or change in direction"...

200 pounds at 3G's is 600 pounds
200 pounds at 4G's is 800 pounds...

Both are far greater than the "static load rating of 200 pounds"....

It's the same with the recent transition from racks to receivers the past 3 or 4 years. When Keystone started installing receivers, they were rated for a "static load" with most having a maximum rating somewhere between 200-350 pounds. THEY WERE NOT RATED FOR TOWING (which is a dynamic load).

Now, most are rated for a towing load, and the "static load" is no longer provided on the receiver decal.....

Here's the warning from the Curt Hitch RV receiver giving their "interpretation" of what needs to be done to prevent excess "dynamic loading" during towing. They require straps to support the load to minimize those G forces at the bottom of the cargo bounce.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CURTHITCH WARNING.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	38741  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-14-2022, 07:58 AM   #29
rlh1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny mill View Post
Greetings,

We have a 2018 keystone cougar 30rkswe, my question is what is the weight rating on the rear fold down rack?

thanks,

Kenny
What is the weight rating on the receiver?
Doesn’t matter what rack rating is if it’s more that the hitch receiver. Go with the lowest weight rating.
You could go by a welding shop for them to look at the receiver and factory welds to determine if weight and stress is accurate.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rack