Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2022, 05:14 AM   #1
Stovebolt

Hello from Michigan

Hi Fellow Campers: We just put payment down on a Keystone Cougar 25RDS. They claim we should have it by April. We had a Forest River Heritage Glen Lite 282RK previously. I'll be towing the Cougar with a 2021 Ford F150 Platinum Hybrid. Seeing this trailer is shorter and lighter and the truck pulled the FR with no problems what so ever, I'm expecting this one to tow as well as the last one or better.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 06:00 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Congrats on your new purchase. Lots of good information and loads of great people here.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 06:03 AM   #3
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stovebolt View Post
Hi Fellow Campers: We just put payment down on a Keystone Cougar 25RDS. They claim we should have it by April. We had a Forest River Heritage Glen Lite 282RK previously. I'll be towing the Cougar with a 2021 Ford F150 Platinum Hybrid. Seeing this trailer is shorter and lighter and the truck pulled the FR with no problems what so ever, I'm expecting this one to tow as well as the last one or better.
Welcome to the forum!

One thing I'd do is to take a look at the yellow/white Tire & Loading sticker on the driver's side door jamb of the truck to see what your specific truck's cargo carrying capacity (payload) is.

Having been in your position of towing a 9K GVWR trailer with an F150, I can say you will very likely find yourself over your truck's payload capacity once loaded up. The advantage I had over you is that I had an XLT model with over 1800 lbs of payload. Unless things have changed dramatically from a 2019 model year to 2021, your Plat probably has about 1300 lbs of payload. The tongue weight alone on your 25RDS will likely be around 1100 lbs. Add in the weight of the hitch, all occupants and whatever gear you will have in the truck and it's easy to go over the limit.

Congratulations on your new purchase and safe travels!
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 06:07 AM   #4
JimQ

Congrats on the new Cougar and safe travels!
JimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 08:09 AM   #5
Stovebolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
Welcome to the forum!

One thing I'd do is to take a look at the yellow/white Tire & Loading sticker on the driver's side door jamb of the truck to see what your specific truck's cargo carrying capacity (payload) is.

Having been in your position of towing a 9K GVWR trailer with an F150, I can say you will very likely find yourself over your truck's payload capacity once loaded up. The advantage I had over you is that I had an XLT model with over 1800 lbs of payload. Unless things have changed dramatically from a 2019 model year to 2021, your Plat probably has about 1300 lbs of payload. The tongue weight alone on your 25RDS will likely be around 1100 lbs. Add in the weight of the hitch, all occupants and whatever gear you will have in the truck and it's easy to go over the limit.

Congratulations on your new purchase and safe travels!
The tongue weight on the heritage was 950 lbs according to my sherline scale, this trailer is lighter and shorter than the FR and it shows fully loaded about 850 lbs. I already have an equalizer 4 hitch that I used on the FR and it pulled it just fine even in heavy winds I had little problem at all. I'll be checking the weight when I get the trailer with my scale. Thanks
Old 02-05-2022, 07:57 AM   #6
Cougar25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stovebolt View Post
Welcome! I took delivery a year ago on a 2021 Cougar 25RDS, and I have towed it about 7,500 miles with my 2021 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost Platinum. We use the Equalizer hitch. Absolutely no issues, but you do have to pay attention to your payload. My 150 had 1,510 pounds of payload as delivered, and I'm very careful about tongue weight and what I put in the cargo bed. I typically tow at 62 mph and get 10.5-11.0 mpg.
The Cougar has been nearly trouble free. I added auto levelers before taking delivery and those are outstanding. The only real issue so far is the sliding door to the bedroom. That cornice or whatever it is supposed to be that holds the track was bolted to the ceiling with 6 screws, none of which found a wooden stud. So the whole thing came down one day on a bumpy road. I secured the cornice to vertical studs in the wall and its not an issue anymore.
I've added shelves in the bathroom "medicine cabinet", pull-out shelves in the cabinet next to the frig, hold-open struts on the dinette and bedroom cabinet doors, drawers in the underbed area, reading lights above the bed, new speakers, new TV. Before our next big trip I'm going to dump the Trail King tires and get Goodyear Endurance.
Happy Camping!
Old 02-05-2022, 08:34 AM   #7
Camping family

Congrats and enjoy
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 09:50 AM   #8
Stovebolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar25 View Post
Welcome! I took delivery a year ago on a 2021 Cougar 25RDS, and I have towed it about 7,500 miles with my 2021 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost Platinum. We use the Equalizer hitch. Absolutely no issues, but you do have to pay attention to your payload. My 150 had 1,510 pounds of payload as delivered, and I'm very careful about tongue weight and what I put in the cargo bed. I typically tow at 62 mph and get 10.5-11.0 mpg.
The Cougar has been nearly trouble free. I added auto levelers before taking delivery and those are outstanding. The only real issue so far is the sliding door to the bedroom. That cornice or whatever it is supposed to be that holds the track was bolted to the ceiling with 6 screws, none of which found a wooden stud. So the whole thing came down one day on a bumpy road. I secured the cornice to vertical studs in the wall and its not an issue anymore.
I've added shelves in the bathroom "medicine cabinet", pull-out shelves in the cabinet next to the frig, hold-open struts on the dinette and bedroom cabinet doors, drawers in the underbed area, reading lights above the bed, new speakers, new TV. Before our next big trip I'm going to dump the Trail King tires and get Goodyear Endurance.
Happy Camping!
Thanks for your reply. We travel light, I don't need anything but a duffle bag, the DW of course requires more stuff but even she travels light. Depending on the location I'll be going to I only travel with enough water to get us there and fill up when we arrive. I never travel over 65 MPH and usually keep it at about 62 MPH. I'll make sure that I check the slide doors. I ordered the trailer with Goodyear Endurance tires like I had on my last trailer. The most important thing about any brand tire is to keep the PSI at what the tire requires. There are those that don't pay any attention to that detail and are usually the ones passing me at 20MPH over what I'm doing. I've been pulling travel trailers and 5th wheels for 50 years and I have had very little problems on the road because I'm one of those anal sob's LOL.
Old 02-05-2022, 09:49 PM   #9
Gary R.

Howdy and welcome!

Congrats on your soon-to-be-delivered Cougar!

Take care!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 03:53 AM   #10
Stovebolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary R. View Post
Howdy and welcome!

Congrats on your soon-to-be-delivered Cougar!

Take care!
Thank You
Old 02-06-2022, 04:25 AM   #11
{tpc}

Hello and welcome, also from Michigan.
Old 02-06-2022, 06:20 AM   #12
dutchmensport

Welcome and congrats on getting your new Cougar.
Old 02-06-2022, 07:22 AM   #13
Stovebolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
Hello and welcome, also from Michigan.
Howdy and thank you.
Old 02-07-2022, 04:40 AM   #14
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.