Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2022, 11:36 AM   #1
RV-burrito

2017 Sprinter rodent prevention

Howdy. With the extra insulation package, this trailer has the corrugated plastic sheeting attached to the frame. It seems like if a critter nibbled through that it would have a critter condo filled with delicious wires to nibble on. Has anyone added thin metal sheeting or hardware cloth to the underside to further dissuade pests?
1978 Georgie Boy (Dodge Chassis) currently being remodeled
RV-burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 01:45 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-burrito View Post
Howdy. With the extra insulation package, this trailer has the corrugated plastic sheeting attached to the frame. It seems like if a critter nibbled through that it would have a critter condo filled with delicious wires to nibble on. Has anyone added thin metal sheeting or hardware cloth to the underside to further dissuade pests?
Mice and squirrels are an issue for many campers. Most stuff stainless steel wool in all cracks and some tape over the openings as well. I don't have the sheeting on my camper (old and bottom open) and have done this as well as used a can of that spray crack filler that expands at alarming rate and filled all the holes I would find. In addition, use mouse bait, ultrasonic gizmos and anything else to keep critters at bay. We had a mouse run right up over me awhile back while in our recliners watching TV and the scream my missus let out scared me and the mouse of of the camper. She has mouse-phobia.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 02:15 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Any "preventative measure" should be considered for weight, effectiveness, durability, cost as well as being compared to other similar "preventative measures"....

Adding metal hardware cloth under an RV might help slow down mice, but what does it do to the weight of the trailer? What does it do to the ability to keep the trailer clean? How much mud/dirt/grass will get caught in the mesh? What happens when it starts to rust or when the belly material sags? How about when you run through a mud puddle or a rain puddle at 70MPH?

Think it through before spending the money and adding that much weight to your trailer. There are several "lighter, more effective rat stoppers"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 03:16 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Agree with John and would highlight with "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." Kepping food contained is number one. Most campers have pets and mice love dry dog and cat food. I use Fresh Cab sachets and they seem to work well.

If you see evedince of mice I think the best thing to do is to set good old fashion mouse traps. The spring traps and several of them placed against walls and cabinets with the bait against the wall. They walk along the walls feeling thier way with their whiskers. If you see a mouse out in the open they are on the run and not stopping to eat. I use a pepermint oil based spray on the outside under the camper, on the axles and anywhere they can climb. Seems to work well in my experience.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 04:03 PM   #5
RV-burrito

Thanks. I have a couple motorhomes and I do the normal trap stuff, but I had never had anything with the insulated underbelly. After looking around under it it seemed like it could easily become a mouse terrarium. That is what I am afraid of. If it isn't that common that may not be worth the effort
Old 01-12-2022, 04:32 PM   #6
wiredgeorge

Mice population depends on the degree of your prevention steps and where you are located. We have mice, scorpions, squirrels, all sorts of bugs here in Texas where I live so we may have more issues than up north somewhere; can't say for sure as I ain't from up north somewhere.
Old 01-12-2022, 08:13 PM   #7
travelin texans

And as far as insulation, if you consider a sheet of Reflectix (chrome bubble wrap) as "extra insulation" then you'll be happy to know that's what that "package" consist of above the Coloplast (plastic cardboard) covering the underbelly.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:13 PM   #8
RV-burrito

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
And as far as insulation, if you consider a sheet of Reflectix (chrome bubble wrap) as "extra insulation" then you'll be happy to know that's what that "package" consist of above the Coloplast (plastic cardboard) covering the underbelly.
That is what I have noticed. Better than nuthin, but it's not a whole lot.
Old 01-17-2022, 09:16 AM   #9
Jmayse

I have the " ultrasonic gizmos" plugged in most of my storage. Do you think these devices are effective?
Jmayse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 09:20 AM   #10
Jmayse

What is the best way to neutralize mouse urine? I have bleached everything, but still get a whiff of it. Drives me crazy!
Jmayse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 09:22 AM   #11
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmayse View Post
I have the " ultrasonic gizmos" plugged in most of my storage. Do you think these devices are effective?
We had mice early last year. Put out poison, traps, varmint oils, plugged things up and used fairly expensive ultrasonic plug in gizmos. Did the electronic gizmos work? We don't have mice anymore. Was it the gizmos for sure? Dunno but it can't hurt with all other methods as well.
Old 01-17-2022, 10:12 AM   #12
travelin texans

I used 2 of the ultrasonic doo-dads in my last 5er for 6+ years, never a critter of any kind inside. We did notice while sitting outside that squirrels/rabbits wouldn't cross under the rv, they went around & birds did a quick dance on the roof like it was hot coals for a couple seconds then left, we figured neither liked the frequency of those doo-dads. They were only $10-12 each @ Ace Hardware at the time I got them, well worth it.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 11:42 AM   #13
LHaven

Quote:
Personally? No. I've come to the conclusion that they affect some species of mice and rats, but others are immune to them; and it's luck of the draw which species you have. A lot of review websites express similar sentiments.

Out here, where we have packrats, my son ran a highly-rated one under his hood. Next time he checked it, the rat had eaten the entire + lead of the noise device, from the battery all the way to the loom... along with a few other wires.
Old 01-17-2022, 01:02 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

I've had good luck with them. I've not used them in the RV but I have used them extensively in vacation homes and some of those homes had LOTS of "vermin" around.

I used all kinds of them from the cheap $10 ones to other that were "vermin" selectable that cost about $80 if I recall. With the cheaper ones I just used more of them. The more expensive selectable ones did pretty well when adjusted up to the higher sound level but that was before we got puppy. First time I turned that one on at that level she acted like something was way wrong and it took us a bit to figure it out. Turned it back down and things were OK. The others that just plugged into an outlet did not bother her. IMO far better than throwing out rat bait, traps etc. and dealing with them all the time.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 01:32 PM   #15
LHaven

I'm trying a new solution, called Rid-A-Rat, manufactured by a guy up here in Cave Creek. It's an intermittent strobe light that lasts 6 months on a set of replaceable penlight cells; they also have a model that taps onto your battery, but given our experience with the rat eating that wire, we went with the dry cell model. We've had it under the TV hood for three months or so and so far so good. (We've had to have harnesses replaced twice ) It's not as useful for the trailer as light is more local than sound or odor, plus our Mickey seems to prefer over the ceiling anyway.

Tags
sprinter, vent